Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I'm out of retirement.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:25 am 

At 2:53am this morning, I put the final string on the first new Rubik's Magic mod that I've made in almost 9 years. So, without further ado, I present to you the Rubik's Magic Ouroboros...

This is a puzzle idea that I've had since back in 2000, shortly after I made by Create a Double Cube puzzle, but had to put on hold when I moved out of town and leave the computer behind. It took about 2 years to get another one. After that it was kind of hard to pick up momentum, and eventually days turned to weeks, then to months and years... On the 22nd, I finally decided that enough was enough, and voila! Here we are.

The front side is the Ouroboros, the mythical (or perhaps not so mythical) snake eating its own tail. This symbol was used by the ancients to symbolise the circle of life, death and rebirth, etc. In Red Dwarf, it was used as a symbol of temporal paradox.

On the back is the Andromeda Galaxy, which I see as a symbol of infinity, progress and knowledge; how much we've gained and how much we have left to learn.

I've included 2 pictures of the back since as difficult as it may be to tell from these pictures, this is my first magic that I've knowingly created that has *2* unique solutions, which are solved as mirror images of each other. I'm going to try to get some better pictures when the sun comes back up, and without the flash.

Post subject: Re: I'm out of retirement.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:36 am 

Very cool magic and Welcome Back!!
Can we expect more, or do we have to wait until 2018? :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:03 am 

No, you won't have to wait until 2018. At least I hope not. :wink: I've got 2 ideas in mind right now. One of them was also an idea from back in 2000, perhaps 2001, which will take an insanely long time to design. I'm not even sure if my second idea will be possible or not, but if it is, it'll be the gauntlet throw down heard round the world. :twisted: That one, of course, is ultra top secret.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:37 am 

Well.. Welcome back dude 8-) ! Awesome! I cant wait to see your other mods :wink:

Check out my youtube Channel
---------------------------------------------
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:55 am 

LOL

good to see you back Tim! :)

Hopefully we will see many more new designs from you!
I really love the theme on the first, and the "sparkliness" on the second!

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:34 pm 

It's good to be back, Pantazis, even if it did mean only getting about 3 hours of sleep last night. :? I'm not sure if I'll be making "a lot" of new mods, but I do have a third idea in mind for standard tiles, and I have a few more ideas in mind if I can get my hands on some 3 sided and 5 sided magic tiles and appropriate strings (hint, hint) :wink: RFP: I can't wait to see my other mods, either. :lol: I'm hoping that I'll be able to get the next one done some time in September.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:40 am 

Tim Browne wrote:
It's good to be back, Pantazis, even if it did mean only getting about 3 hours of sleep last night. :? I'm not sure if I'll be making "a lot" of new mods, but I do have a third idea in mind for standard tiles, and I have a few more ideas in mind if I can get my hands on some 3 sided and 5 sided magic tiles and appropriate strings (hint, hint) :wink: RFP: I can't wait to see my other mods, either. :lol: I'm hoping that I'll be able to get the next one done some time in September.

BIG hint here:

Use six triangular tiles (first puzzle) and ten pentagonal tiles (second puzzle).
The the so called blocking movement which occurs in odd numbered sided tiles,
will not be *that* apparent. Erno agreed to that before I had even finished my sentence LOL

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:31 am 

Uh... Pantazis? I think you missed what I was getting at. I wasn't looking for hints on how to mix tiles, but was hoping that you'd be able to sell me some. :) Sorry about the lack of better pictures, but the weather's gotten pretty bad lately, so there hasn't been any good light. So, would anyone care to hazard a guess on where the 8th tile disappeared to in the solved state? I'm sure you know, Pantazis, so let's give other people a chance to answer first. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:14 am 

Im going to take a guess at behind the middle tile. In the first picture of the Andromeda the middle looks a bit raised. Just a guess though :)

-Mark- :)

Kelvin Stott wrote:
Squiggle is such a funny word to say out loud. Squiggle! :lol:

I am with Frank's Family

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:14 pm 

Aw, man! You got it in 1! I thought it would have been more difficult than that. Well done, Door.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:15 pm 

Tim Browne wrote:
I wasn't looking for hints on how to mix tiles, but was hoping that you'd be able to sell me some. :)

Well, I am in a state that I would need to get some extra tiles.
But everything is a bit postponed due to other urgent projects/duties.

Other than that, the triangular and pentagonal tiles hardly fit my future projects,
and they are very expensive to get (I used laser cut two years ago)

And I thought I told you before for a source for square tiles? (personally I have not checked for 20 months)

:)

Pantazis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:25 pm 

personally, I'd like to see magics with triangular, pentagonal and hexagonal tiles, as far as I know there's only been 1 hexagonal tiled magic, and I've never seen a pentagonal or triangular one.

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:27 pm 

As an amateur astronomer, seeing that picture of the galaxy instantly made that magic mod my favourite! :lol:

Good work, hope to see more soon :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:55 pm 

elijah wrote:
personally, I'd like to see magics with triangular, pentagonal and hexagonal tiles, as far as I know there's only been 1 hexagonal tiled magic, and I've never seen a pentagonal or triangular one.

Iris Diamond is triangular.

;)

Pantazis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:53 pm 

oh, didn't see that one.

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."