So... I accepted Taylor's offer to buy his pieces and make a puzzle from them.
He has made some excellent job, and his molds are also brilliant and begging me to use them again!
It was a marathon effort, but one thing's for sure, it was really really worth it!!!
(now I feel I can build ANY puzzle LOL).
The mechanism can be understood once it is seen, but I am now convinced that the.drizzle
is an... extra terrestrial!!!
Since it is not a puzzle that is offered to be solved (at least for now),
I had not placed any stickers, and I kind of like it as it is (I could make some sheets,
but that may invite people to start solving, so the "prototype look" will serve me better).
I virtually had to assemble it four times, as I had to face certain issues (see tips).
Will I do it again? Oh yes! And I even have more than one methods to do it.
(Plus I got some molds, so in the next months, I might attempt the Octahedron version).
And it is surely going to accompany me to my long trip in ten days.
A short video is here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=048yMfG0YLM
Finally, some tips to anyone who will try to assemble it:
1. There is an easy way, and a hard way to do assemble it:
(a) Easy way: Use tape to stabilise *all* the square parts defined by the eight extended pieces.
(I cannot say more about this LOL)
(b) Hard way: Start conenction everything from the bottom and gradually go up.
It is a nice sight to see how everything hangs/holds together!
2. Do not speedsolve. I repeat, do *not* speedsolve!!!
(It is clear from the video, that it is very stiff, but also note that I did not lube it).
3. Gentle forcing may help, but raw forcing may misaligne or even break some pieces.
4. Ensure all the pieces are placed correctly, *especially* those requiring orientation.
That could be in fact, the difference between a working and a non-working version!
(especially for the smallest pieces!!!)
5. Do not be afraid to tighted the screws. More tight, means easier turns. Loose, means
the turns are an impossible mission.
6. If it gets stuck, there are surely some neighbour pieces (internal or external) slightly misaligned.
Gently shift them back to place and all will be fine.
7. Beg the.drizzle to give you a license! (if you haven't got one yet)
And now it is time for me to sleeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!!