Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: slide cube
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:11 pm 

O.K. So I have finished the CAD drawings of my version of the slide cube, or as I will call it, the 53 cube. I really want to print of the masters and cast the puzzle right away, but I have no idea how I am going to cast these parts. The fact that the gaps where the tiles slide expand below the surface doesn't help in a simple 2 part mold.

Theoretically I could print off the whole puzzle for around $60, which I am contemplating doing. The only problem with that is that all the parts would be ABS plastic which isn't ideal for a twistypuzzle because it isn't as pliable or as smooth as the alumilite plastic that I would be using if I cast the parts. If I can't find a feasible way to cast these parts before my winter break starts (December 16th), I will print off the whole puzzle and probably auction it off on eBay.

Attachments:
slide_assembled.jpg
slide_assembled.jpg [ 189.81 KiB | Viewed 432 times ]

Phi Mu Delta
Nu Theta Chapter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:24 pm 

Modify your parts so that you have a removable cap on each piece, this way you won't have that many undercuts. (do you get me there?)

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:40 pm 

TomZ wrote:
Modify your parts so that you have a removable cap on each piece, this way you won't have that many undercuts. (do you get me there?)

I may not be fully understanding you, but if I were to do what I think you are suggesting, the center piece would have 4 separate caps, the edge piece would have 3 per face, and the corner pieces would have 2 per face. These would also be pretty small caps, and the amount that the plastic shrinks in casting might make them too small to fit. Also, it would make the center piece pretty ridiculous considering it already has a cap, then the cap would have 4 caps on it.

Phi Mu Delta
Nu Theta Chapter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:29 pm 

Calculate the shrinkage and account for that in the masters then :|

And isn't ABS what most puzzles (including the V-cubes and Eastsheens) made of? Jin's 3x3x4 is made mostly of ABS (because its built from stock parts) and it turns better than my Alumilite 3x3x4. Well, not much better, just "different", the Alumilite feels stickier somehow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:12 am 

OK, what I was trying to get across is that it would be impractical to make caps for every piece on every face, maybe not so much with the corners, but with the center piece having 4 caps on a cap is just too much. And yes, I could calculate the shrinkage of the plastic and make up for that in the design, but it's not always going to shrink the same way, in the same places, or the same amount, and with the small area that I am concerned with shrinking, that margin of error becomes a problem for casting.

And to clarify, OK, ABS plastic might be what some puzzles are entirely made out of, but not 3D printed ABS plastic. Even with the putty or whatever it is that is supposed to fill in the grooves left by printing, the pieces just don't feel or turn the way I would like them to. Maybe that's just me, but either way. I'm done with the design (that's difficult for casting) and still working out a way to make it easier to cast, but not as ambitiously as before due to finals coming up.

Phi Mu Delta
Nu Theta Chapter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:24 am 

A more elaborate solution to problems like these is using a wax core inside your mould which can be melted away after casting your part. Though you would need to print the core and make mould for it, and the costs add up.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34