This puzzle is a collaboration between Simon Edgar (oxymoronicuber) and myself. Simon had the idea for this puzzle and had started to design it in Maya but had some problems, so he asked me to help. I did a quick and dirty design in SketchUp to prove the concept, then I decided to try the design in Inventor just to get some experience (and it is also very easy to fillet and shell the parts in this program). Then I exported the pieces to stl and imported them into SketchUp so I could do some final tweaks on the pieces and arrange them for a Shapeways print.
The base puzzle for this design is the C4U cubic 3x3x5
. This puzzle has to first be truncated on two faces by 3.5 and 6mm - luckily, the 6mm cut is just clear of the screw head.
File comment: Cut faces
Cut Faces.jpg [ 589.32 KiB | Viewed 1302 times ]
Lesson learned No.1: Glue in the caps on the affected pieces before doing the cuts.
Next, glue the extensions onto the faces, making sure that you use the correct ones, because they all look very similar.
File comment: Assembly
Assembly.jpg [ 580.68 KiB | Viewed 1302 times ]
Lesson learned No.2: Put some identification marks on the pieces so you don't accidentally start gluing the pieces on the wrong place.
When I get to the last layer, I realise that all these pieces are short by 2.5mm
To fix this I had to glue some 2.5mm thick ABS sheet onto the wrong pieces, which actually looks OK on the assembled puzzle.
File comment: Pieces
Pieces.jpg [ 422.3 KiB | Viewed 1302 times ]
How could this happen? Well, one of my sketches in Inventor was wrong, and I did not re-check the pieces in SketchUp. After all, how could a program like Inventor be incorrect:oops: Lesson Learned No.3: Just because a program like Inventor costs thousands of pounds, doesn't stop GIGO (Garbage In = Garbage Out)!
After glueing on all the pieces, I have this:
File comment: Assembly done
Assembled.jpg [ 424.5 KiB | Viewed 1302 times ]
I used 3mm "tabs" to glue the mainly hollow pieces onto the cube. But remember that although 3mm looks plenty big on the computer screen, it's not much in the real world, and this gluing was pretty fiddly.Lesson learned No.4: Draw out the sizes of critical stuff onto paper to see how they really look.
I decide to use gold stickers (from Oliver) which look really nice against the black:
File comment: Finished 1
Bumpoid 3x3x5 (1).png [ 4.47 MiB | Viewed 1302 times ]
File comment: Finished 2
Bumpoid 3x3x5 (2).png [ 5.01 MiB | Viewed 1302 times ]
File comment: Mid Turn
Bumpoid 3x3x5 (3).png [ 4.55 MiB | Viewed 1302 times ]
File comment: Scrambled
Bumpoid 3x3x5 (4).png [ 5.11 MiB | Viewed 1302 times ]
The pictures don't do justice to how nice these stickers look and I am very happy with the finished puzzle. Simon is building his own using powder silver stickers, I'm sure that he'll post pictures here soon.