Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: My Goodwin Magton--by Derek Goodwin
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:43 pm
Location: under the "z" key
I built this puzzle with magnets. It is the first magnetic puzzle I will ever build, hopefully not the last.

48 magnets keep this puzzle in place. Grr. Half of my science project is gone.

You can solve it like a regular 2x2x2, an edge-only helicopter cube, or even an edges-only skewb. Or you can combine different method to solve this masterpiece!

Sorry that I have stalled the posting of this puzzle, my camera broke. I just got a replacement today. :)

I hope you like it. I will be posting a Youtube video on it in a couple of minutes. Check my signature for my channel.


Attachments:
File comment: This is really bad quality for an image--sorry!
Puzzle 004.JPG
Puzzle 004.JPG [ 140.27 KiB | Viewed 1209 times ]

_________________
Image
http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicAbrewFail?feature=mhum
EAF on youtube!
2 invites to Jade club
PM me for invite
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Goodwin Magton--by Derek Goodwin
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:17 am
Location: Missourica
Looks like an awesome Idea! Can't wait to see the video as I don't understand how it turns.

You have neat ideas, but If you are willing to take constuctive criticism then I would say that the execution needs work.

Maybe replace the cardboard with cheap plastic sheeting (Or maybe cut up an old plastic container to get some sheet)

Also, a bit of cheap acrillic paint could also improve the looks of the puzzle, instead of Crayola marker for coloring, because it looks like stickers would not work too well on this puzzle.

Keep on making cool stuff, I hope to see more awesome puzzles from you!

PS please do not post youtube videos that have nothing to do with puzzles on the forum, especially if you are just trying to get views and subscribers :D It isn't a rule that you cant, but they are just a bit irrelevant.

_________________
Adam Brown, Puzzle Builder/Modder

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Goodwin Magton--by Derek Goodwin
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:43 pm
Location: under the "z" key
Adman234 wrote:
Looks like an awesome Idea! Can't wait to see the video as I don't understand how it turns.

You have neat ideas, but If you are willing to take constuctive criticism then I would say that the execution needs work.

Maybe replace the cardboard with cheap plastic sheeting (Or maybe cut up an old plastic container to get some sheet)

Also, a bit of cheap acrillic paint could also improve the looks of the puzzle, instead of Crayola marker for coloring, because it looks like stickers would not work too well on this puzzle.

Keep on making cool stuff, I hope to see more awesome puzzles from you!

PS please do not post youtube videos that have nothing to do with puzzles on the forum, especially if you are just trying to get views and subscribers :D It isn't a rule that you cant, but they are just a bit irrelevant.


I can only use the stuff I have. I don't have that much to work with!

About the videos, that's why I posted them to see it in the OFF TOPIC forum.

Oh, and the Goodwin Magton video will be up in about tem minutes.

_________________
Image
http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicAbrewFail?feature=mhum
EAF on youtube!
2 invites to Jade club
PM me for invite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Goodwin Magton--by Derek Goodwin
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: NJ
I really need to see this video, because I can't imagine how this can work as anything outside of a 2x2x2. Also, how can this be an 'edges only skewb' if a skewb doesn't even have edge pieces? How can this even make an edge turn? The only way I can see this working (other than a 2x2x2) is pulling the puzzle apart and then, reattaching the pieces. :?

_________________
Jhahoua wrote:
Oskar wrote:
There are three types of people: those are good at counting and those who aren't ... :-)

But that is only 2 kinds of people what is the 3rd?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Goodwin Magton--by Derek Goodwin
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:43 pm
Location: under the "z" key
MonkeyZ wrote:
I really need to see this video, because I can't imagine how this can work as anything outside of a 2x2x2. Also, how can this be an 'edges only skewb' if a skewb doesn't even have edge pieces? How can this even make an edge turn? The only way I can see this working (other than a 2x2x2) is pulling the puzzle apart and then, reattaching the pieces. :?

Face palm. I meant corners only skewb and helicopter.
But the video is posted. Look in my signature for my video.

_________________
Image
http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicAbrewFail?feature=mhum
EAF on youtube!
2 invites to Jade club
PM me for invite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Goodwin Magton--by Derek Goodwin
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:17 am
Location: Missourica
Puzzle looks good :)

I like the idea that you pull the pieces apart, reminds me of gear shift puzzle.

And yes, your epic wind video and donkey kong video were in the off topic section and I have no problem with people posting cool videos. However, please refrain from posting videos here for the sole purpose of getting views/subscribers. Some may consider it spam, and I think your youtube link in the signature is quite enough to inform people of your videos.

With that said, I hope you keep making cool puzzles and videos. What was your science project?

_________________
Adam Brown, Puzzle Builder/Modder

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Goodwin Magton--by Derek Goodwin
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:43 pm
Location: under the "z" key
Adman234 wrote:
Puzzle looks good :)

I like the idea that you pull the pieces apart, reminds me of gear shift puzzle.

And yes, your epic wind video and donkey kong video were in the off topic section and I have no problem with people posting cool videos. However, please refrain from posting videos here for the sole purpose of getting views/subscribers. Some may consider it spam, and I think your youtube link in the signature is quite enough to inform people of your videos.

With that said, I hope you keep making cool puzzles and videos. What was your science project?

I am seeing how close I can get magnets together until they jump. That's all I'm saying.

_________________
Image
http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicAbrewFail?feature=mhum
EAF on youtube!
2 invites to Jade club
PM me for invite


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group