Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Eek! A newbie! And he has questions!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:32 pm 

Hello--I'm an American just getting back into puzzles after several years away.

I've got a few things I need help with, and probably my questions have already been answered here. I'll keep looking for answers, but any help would be great, either by reply or private message.

Right now, I'm looking to buy a black regular Megaminx and maybe a stickerless 3x3x3. They're mainly to be fiddled with on a desk--not speedcubing or competition.

1. Is there a decent online seller in the US that *isn't* Amazon or eBay? I want other options, but I also don't want to be waiting 2-3 weeks for delivery from China.

2. Is the new Dayan Megaminx really all that? I have a 10-year-old Mefferts which is ok, but it's way too loose and easy to pop apart. I'd like something I can take apart by popping off a hub to clean and lube. If a QJ or mf8 would work, I don't mind saving the cash.

3. Can the stickerless 3x3x3s be disassembled enough to reconfigure the color scheme? I want a classic Rubik's scheme if I can fix it that way: White/Blue, Green/Yellow, Red/Orange, clockwise White-Green-Orange.

4. Am I supposed to be able to pop off hubs on these puzzles, or superglue them on once I'm done lubing and tightening? I figure after a certain point you're kind of done servicing a puzzle.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason

Post subject: Re: Eek! A newbie! And he has questions!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:48 pm 

1. Yes, there are many good U.S. sellers like:
http://www.cubedepotusa.com/
http://www.speedcubeshop.com/

2. I do not own a Dayan megaminx but I have heard that it is not "all that". Several of the top minxers such as Simon Westlund, Oscar Roth Andersen, and Louis Cormier use other puzzles. (Modded mefferts or similar brands as well as one brand that I think is a KO so I won't say.)

3. All stickerless 3x3s can be assembled into any color scheme you want.

4. I assume by "hubs" you mean the caps on the centers. Only a few cubes have problems with center caps falling off, but the recommended solution for this problem is to put a small piece of paper inside the center cap to squish it against the side of the center. You can also just glue them on if you think your tensions are just fine.

4x4:36.50/45.59
5x5: 1:21.50/1:41.50
7x7: 4:10.50

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:38 pm 

Just in case you weren't aware - the DaYan Megaminx also comes in a stickerless version, in case you'd like to have a matching pair for your desk. :)

As for the KO issue - the Megaminx patent has expired and no Megaminx is considered KO according to Dave (and by extension this forum).

Personally if it's going to be sitting on a desk, I think the tiled Meffert's or QJ looks the best. They both have well-balanced color selections. (I also prefer the feel of big thick tiles when I can get them.) The biggest difference between them is that one shade of blue on the Meffert's is replaced by a (very nice IMO) indigo/violet color on the QJ.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:35 pm 

Many thanks for the fast and helpful replies!

To answer a few points raised:

*i had a Tomy Megaminx a long time ago and sold it for some reason. I miss how tight that puzzle was--nothing could pop out, even deliberately.

*i have an old tiled Mefferts megaminx now. There are a couple colors I'd prefer to change out, and even if I hadn't superglued the tiles one by one, it doesn't sit very well in a cube stand, which is what I'm after. I need high colored eye candy in my monochrome workplace.

*The Dayan stickerless only comes in 12 colors (13 counting black), so my best bet is a blank one with Cubesmith labels.

*Are the molds on the stickerless 3x3x3s pretty decent these days? No big gaps on the edges? I've thought of doing a calendar cube on one, but the YouTube videos I see aren't high res enough to make a judgment.

Thanks again!
J