Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What is the best 4x4x4 cube?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:30 pm 

I searched through the forum and found an old topic from 2006 on this same subject. I figured since some new 4x4x4s have been released since then, I would ask this again.

What is the best brand of 4x4x4? I use a Meffert's Master Cube, and it's not all that great... I'm trying to find a good and relatively cheap brand of 4x4x4. I'm just not sure which brand I want.

Any suggestions?

YouTube channel

Post subject: Re: What is the best 4x4x4 cube?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:07 pm 

RizDub wrote:
I searched through the forum and found an old topic from 2006 on this same subject. I figured since some new 4x4x4s have been released since then, I would ask this again.

What is the best brand of 4x4x4? I use a Meffert's Master Cube, and it's not all that great... I'm trying to find a good and relatively cheap brand of 4x4x4. I'm just not sure which brand I want.

Any suggestions?

It depends on what your price is, if your looking for something cheap the [KO, Removed] 4x4 is a good choice, it's my main, the only bad thing is it can lock if you're not accurate. Then there is the Dayan+ Mf8 4x4, which is a bit more expensive and it can pop, I've never had a Dayan 4x4 so I can't tell which I think is better.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:12 am 

Be careful, gentlemen. Many 4x4x4s use the Verdes design and are considered KO on this site. We won't allow naming the manufacturer or posting links to them.

If you are not sure if a puzzle is KO, PM a mod or admin (katsmom or DLitwin) and we can look into it for you. If you post, we have to edit, delete and possibly give you a warning.

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:38 am 

Hm. Dayan 6.5 cm cubes are very good (and definately not KO). However it seems to be a question of luck if you get a good one or not. My black Dayan 4x4 is not very good compared to my white one.
This is propably the only good 4x4 not using V-cube design.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:31 pm 

I have an original Dayan MF8 4x4 and, while it's a little big, I love it. I tried tensioning it one time and it kept exploding when I turned it so that's one downside. I'm not sure if the smaller version is better because I haven't tried it but I would look at some reviews for both. The other 4x4s I have tried didn't really cut it for me including some of the KOs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:53 pm 

The smaller version of the Dayan MF8 is really, incredibly stiff. I mean it is awful.

4x4:29.29/33.53

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:56 pm 

X-TownCuber wrote:
The smaller version of the Dayan MF8 is really, incredibly stiff. I mean it is awful.

I have it, and it is my back up.
I completely disassembled it, washed it, and Lubixed it, and I am using it for 4x4 BLD at a competition tomorrow!

-Doug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:55 pm 

Good luck in the competition Rubixwiz!

How does the mini Dayan-MF8 version compare with the regular sized for everyone else? Is it better for someone else than it is for X-TownCuber?

Also, thanks for the suggestions everyone!

YouTube channel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:43 pm 

I've heard alot more people prefer the mini cube compared to the orginal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:49 pm 

Aether13 wrote:
I've heard alot more people prefer the mini cube compared to the orginal.

I have to say that I have both, and that the full size is MUCH better than the mini one. The smaller one is a lot more 'catchy' and the plastic is rougher. The full size one turns much better in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:04 pm 

RizDub wrote:
Good luck in the competition Rubixwiz!

How does the mini Dayan-MF8 version compare with the regular sized for everyone else? Is it better for someone else than it is for X-TownCuber?

Also, thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Thanks!

-Doug

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:22 am 

Depends what you’re after, I’ve got quite a few 444s, mainly because I couldn’t find one I liked.

I have the larger Dayan/MF8 and it pops too much for me and it has just a bit of annoying friction in the mech, even when lubed and loose, it corner cuts really well though.

My preferred 444 at the moment is my LanLan, according to Dave it’s mech is based on an early Rubik’s mech, which is not KO because of patent expiry. It doesn’t have an internal 333 so it has less parts to catch and get out of alignment (some of my other 444s are really bad at that). The mech fits together so well that I can't pop it, of course with no sprung mech it doesn't corner cut very well, but it's not as bad on alignment as an Eastsheen, probably due to filleting. Last time I looked Calvin had them for under 8 bucks shipped.

The LanLan is really smooth when lubed properly, cubie size seems just right (even though on my desk the Dayan/MF8 stands only about 1mm larger- it just feels too big :? ). I'm not a speedcuber though, I'm at about the 4:30 mark.

I’m hoping the V4 will be somewhere between the LanLan and the Dayan/MF8, nice corner cutting, no popping, smooth mech.. truth is I’m still waiting for a perfect one.

Cheers,
Burgo

Attachments:
LanLan444 mech.jpg
LanLan444 mech.jpg [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 2691 times ]

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)