Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My first thread about cube collection
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:45 am 

Hi. I share a same hobby with most people here. That is, the cubes. The first time i got my first cube is my 15-year-old birthday. Since then, I developed a appetite for rubik cubes. I read many related forums and magazines and lucky enough joined a local cube club.
This is my first thread about my hobby. Now let us take a trip to my cube collection. Lol.

A full view of my whole collection

2*2*2 rubik's cube. very safe and smooth rotation. I baught it from an online company

My first cube, which was my 15-year-old birthday gift.

The 3*3*3 rubik cube which i'm playing. I got this one from geartaker.com.
Here is the link: http://www.geartaker.com/product/three- ... ign=AD0119

My first 4*4*4. When i got it, i was very exciting. But it turned out collapsed when i played it. It took me whole night to fix it out and since then, it become a decoration.

R4. Haven't achieved a successful try. I baught this one from dealextreme.com.
Here is the url: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/4x4x4-brai ... cube-16332

R5. Not bad & wouldn't POP. I got this one from DX also.
Here is the link: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/5x5x5-spri ... -toy-68235

6*6*6. I love the color.

7*7*7 I got this one from an online company

Mirror cube which i got from an online company

Fantastic POSE

Post subject: Re: My first thread about cube collection
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:49 am 

Please read the forum rules again. Linking to KO's is not a good way to start.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:50 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
Yeah, remove the KO links before you entice me to buy that Professor Cube (it has the official logo on it and it's that cheap?! or did you just resticker it?)

I advise you get a Skewb next, and possibly a Helicopter Dodecahedron (in my opinion, the Dodecaheli is pretty much the awesomest puzzle ever made... 12 sides AND jumbling? but it's probably too random a suggestion for you to actually take since it's based on personal preference)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:30 pm 

GoombaGeek wrote:
Yeah, remove the KO links before you entice me to buy that Professor Cube (it has the official logo on it and it's that cheap?! or did you just resticker it?)

If i mislead you, I'm sorry. My cube collection mostly come from online shops, because of my limited pocket money. & it's really that cheap. though the shipping takes three weeks or so.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:29 am 

Nice collection, but the links need to be removed. Apart from that, you have a couple of nice pieces in there.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:54 am 

shellibranch wrote:
GoombaGeek wrote:

If i mislead you, I'm sorry. My cube collection mostly come from online shops, because of my limited pocket money. & it's really that cheap. though the shipping takes three weeks or so.

It's all right, I also have a meager allowance ($7 CAD/week). I'm spending a lot now that Canada's dollar is stronger than the clearly pathetic American dollar :twisted: .

Although I was able to afford real-brand Rubik's Revenge and Professor Cubes... I found the not-V-Cube 7 online after some investigation. I didn't know they were legally allowed to make V-Cube KOs... can someone clear this up? Or did [x-brand] get the pants sued off them by Verdes?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:04 pm 

You really need to expand out from just cubes :lol:

The megaminx (dodecahedron) is a start but you should try getting a pyraminx (tetrahedron) or a Dayan Gem (truncated octahedron) if you can find the money. A jumbling puzzle is a must in all collections so if you can't get a Dayan Gem I or II try a Helicopter Cube from ztwist.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:39 pm 

By the way, these are the next 3 puzzles you should probably get now that I've thought it over (and they're quite diverse, so you should get quite a bit of value :D )

Also, their patents all expired long ago :oops:

- Skewb: Learn how to deal with weird planes of rotation. It's quite easy once you get the hang of it, too!
- Pyraminx: A tetrahedron. It's a good puzzle, and it's really fun to try to do it without a guide. Just use your normal cube algorithms, but beware: they may have different effects than you think! (Try the Sune sequence on a Pyraminx - RUR'URU2R')
- Pyraminx Crystal: Not closely related to the Pyraminx. It's what you would get if you took a Megaminx, removed the centers, and stretched out the remaining pieces to fill in the centers. For pedantic readers, it's also rarely called a Brillic.

The Square-One cube is also recommended quite a bit, but I don't own one so I can't personally vouch for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:26 pm 

GoombaGeek wrote:

- Skewb: 3d copyright hasn't, and it's just been issued a 'new patent' in China
- Pyraminx:3d copyright hasn't, and it's just been issued a 'new patent' in China
- Pyraminx Crystal: um, hold on- since this only came out 2 years ago-how could the patent expire already??? Think Again.

The Square-one: Right. Maybe this one is gone. Probably it is. I can't remeber the date right off hand, but I'm miserable sick so I'm not going to go look for it either.

Here's the deal. Statements like these cause arguments if you are wrong-and in this case, you are. Look up the puzzle patents online before posting-I know China is hard to navigate, but it exists. Or ask one of the Chinese members-they can link up to the patent papers on Mf8 I'm sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:30 pm 

GoombaGeek wrote:
Please review our KO policy (see here (#14) and here. Patent is only one factor considered.
GoombaGeek wrote:
- Pyraminx Crystal: Not closely related to the Pyraminx. It's what you would get if you took a Megaminx, removed the centers, and stretched out the remaining pieces to fill in the centers. For pedantic readers, it's also rarely called a Brillic.
There are only 14 Brilics (one 'l') hand made by Aleh. The mass produced version (based on Aleh's Brilic implementation) keeps the original name Meffert gave the design back when it was just an unbuilt concept.
Both Okamoto and Aleh built this design about the same time that was first shown many decades ago. Since then TomZ built a mini version that kept the Meffert name.

Dave :)