Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What puzzle to buy?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:29 am 

Being only 14 with a crazy puzzle obsession is'nt easy. As you can imagine I have almost no money to spend on beloved puzzles. If I were to save some money, what rare or wickedly puzzle do you reccomend. I need something great in my collection please help me. :solved:

Post subject: Re: What puzzle to buy?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:32 am 

I think you should try and buy one of the electroplated golden cubes (if not all of them). They are not that rare but I feel they will only become harder to find. If you really have the money, I think you should buy a DOGIC. I would suggest waiting for a holiday and then talking with your parents or relatives. :lol:

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:33 am 

Kevin wrote:
Being only 14 with a crazy puzzle obsession is'nt easy. As you can imagine I have almost no money to spend on beloved puzzles. If I were to save some money, what rare or wickedly puzzle do you reccomend. I need something great in my collection please help me. :solved:

Try to make yourself one!
On ebay, you can find cheep common puzzles, and if you look around in this forum, you can find interesting mods, what worth to build!

Simple mods like fused cube, or Half truncated cube can be made from few $.

rubikkocka@gmail.com & info@oliverstickers.com
http://oliverstickers.com/

Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:48 am 

I love Oliver's suggestion! If I can attempt it so can you.

I would go for the classics-Cube, Pyraminx, Megaminx, Babylon tower.....

Start small and work your way up. Hunt ebay. I've gotten many "lots" of puzzles with an instant collection in them. A good way to begin.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:57 am 

Any competitions around you? (You're location is unknown, so you aren't giving me much to work with. :P) If so, competitions are a great place to gather some new puzzles for decent prices. There are always people with sizable collections who are looking to sell some doubles, or just some old puzzles that are collecting dust, for a nice price. While I buy most of my collection puzzles new, my current 5x5 and 6x6 were both bought at a competition. When you add together the collective cost of what I paid for them, it came out to around $15 for the 6x6, and the 5x5 cost me $3.

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:06 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=20013

Here are some ideas.

Also, now that I've got a Master Skewb, I highly recommend it! :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:11 am 

Get the new Meffert's Prof Pyraminx.
I don't have mine yet like all others that have ordered one. But I bet it's going to be insanely great.
In addition it will probably be worth more money than it will have cost you quick.
If you really want a puzzle that is rare now already and that you don't have yet I suggest Golden Cube or Helicopter Cube.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:14 pm 

I got a gear cube from [removed] it didnt comr yet do you think it will be as good as a mefferts one ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:18 pm 

boom7413 wrote:
I got a gear cube from [removed] it didnt comr yet do you think it will be as good as a mefferts one ?
Please review our KO policy in the rules (#14, but all are worth review). Naming the site of a seller where it can be purchased is not any different than providing a link, and therefore also not allowed.

The KO version of the Gear cube is not as good (based on the version I recently saw). The price is a good indicator of the quality you should expect.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:09 pm 

Go through this thread and make sure you have what other members deem essential to collections. This ought to give you plenty of sight on what it is to look for. My personal recommendations:

Speed:
I recommend the Ultimate Lubix Guhong. 3x3x3, yes, and its' worth twice the money as the others, but once you touch one, you will be addicted. Get the V-Cubes collection if you can, too, including 2a and 2b.

Collection:
Rare puzzles tend to be more expensive than most, which means you can expand your collection if you go for the regulars rather than the collector's ones. Other members have posted their opinions on collector's items and I second each suggestion (but get Gear Cube from Mefferts) if you have the money.

Solving:
Crazy 4x4x4 II is ridiculously hard unless you've got plenty of solving experience. Crazy 3x3x3s are supposedly extremely difficult as well. These ones also make your collection look nicer too.

If you're ever in doubt of what to get, just like on the right-hand side bar where you see "SHOP". I can guarantee you don't have all of the puzzles Sandy has to offer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:53 pm 

Quote:
Crazy 4x4x4 II is ridiculously hard unless you've got plenty of solving experience.

HAHA. TRUE! I have solved 116 puzzle in gelatinbrain's applet and there are still a handfull that I could solve but haven't felt like it yet.

But I just can't figure out this crazy 4x4x4 II. I know on the circle kilominx for example, the circle pieces are actually the hidden edges with those sides visible, that are touching the corners inside on a normal megaminx (those that aren't visible from the outside).
I know I could solve the circle skewb diamond like the masterskewb.
But I just don't get where the heck these slim circle pieces on that 4x4x4 come from and what they mean and how they behave. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:56 pm 

All you need for the Crazy 4x4x4 II and III are two algorithms: l' U' l U' l' U2 l and r U r' U r U2 r'.

With these two algorithms, plus a 2x2x2 solve, solve the top and bottom circles. From there the rest of the centers are like a 2x2x3. After you solve all of the centers, simply solve it like a Crazy 4x4x4.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!