Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Celebrate Frank's puzzles
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:40 pm 

I thought it would be nice to celebrate all the wonderful puzzles Frank (flambore) has built. For those of us fortunate to have bought or traded for them, we know we have a piece of a very limited collection of wonderful hand built puzzles.

Stories about the trade or purchase are welcome but post only pictures of puzzles that Frank built that you currently own, we want to keep in mind the focus is on Frank's work.

I will start:

A few years back I arranged to trade a custom Neon for a few of Frank's puzzles. He gave me a list of what he could make and I talked with him about the many different things we might do for a custom Neon for him. In the end we settled on a custom Karate theme for two or three of his 3x3x3 shape mods that Adam Cowan designed.
When he wasn't satisfied with the black Axis cube he built he insisted on making me one in white (the black was fine, in my view), but wanted to give the black one anyway. The trade was very generous when he was offering three puzzles so when it became four for one Elemental it was far too much. As a result I added in an Inverted and Pillowed 2x2x2 to make things more fair. These were the only two I built (other than my prototypes) from the original molds and were a bit special as a result. They have now found a great home with Frank Tiex but the Neon will stay with Frank's family given how custom it was for him.
What I got was four puzzle designed by Adam Cowan cast and built by Frank:
White axis cube, Hexagonal prism, Black egg, Black Axis cube

Dave :)

Post subject: Re: Celebrate Frank's puzzles
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:25 pm 

Great idea Dave! :)

We could also gather his posts in the New Puzzles subforum
to have a more complete idea of all the puzzles he casted.

I have only one, and that should arrive anytime soon.
(I was going to get some more from the recent auctions,
but Jason outbid me! *friendly grrr...*)

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:09 pm 

My collection of Frank Schwartz's puzzles.

With the first puzzles I bought from him I already got four of the twisted cubies in blue, white, red and black, which have been sitting on top of my LCD display all the time. This was even before his cancer diagnosis. So, different to all the other puzzles, which are located in another room, his work (although this was just a gimmick) has being around me all the time. And of course this will be the case in future, too.

Today the whole family of puzzles and cubies grew quite a lot.
I'll keep them as a memory to Frank with pride. And whenever his family wants to have the puzzles returned for personal reasons, I will give them back of course.

Frank

P.S.: Dave, I saw, that two of your puzzles have a different colour scheme and the 'f' on white surfaces. Was the colour scheme made on your request? I think, this is extraordinary, because all my puzzles have their 'f' on the yellow side and I think this is what Frank did usually. So maybe they are the only ones with blue 'f' on white?!
.. and there is Klara's golden twisted cubie with an 'f' on it of course!
Any other 'f's out there?

P.P.S: there are no two black cubies, one of them is veeery dark brown. Not so easily to be seen on the picture, sorry.
CORRECTION: It's not brown, it is a dark purple! I was led wrong by the more yellowish electric light.

Attachments:
puzzles_20100519_210443p_600.jpg
puzzles_20100519_210443p_600.jpg [ 287.78 KiB | Viewed 2035 times ]

Link to my website: Frank's Puzzle Library
Please use puzzles@tiex.de to contact me. I disabled PMs.

Last edited by Frank Tiex on Wed May 19, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:53 pm 

Frank Tiex wrote:
P.S.: Dave, I saw, that two of your puzzles have a different colour scheme and the 'f' on white surfaces. Was the colour scheme made on your request?
No special request on my part. I assumed he placed them on the lightest color, and so for the black puzzles this meant on the white stickers. Frank always preferred working with the white Smoothcast over black Alumilite, so I imagine this situation didn't come up very often. I prefer black puzzles and he was accommodating me working with Alumilite. This seems to have led to my extra Axis cube... ;)

Does your black Mastermorphix have white stickers?

Dave

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:02 pm 

No, it has yellow, red, green, blue. Frank wrote, it was one of his earlier builds and he wasn't really satisfied with it (honestly I dont know why..). The only issue is, that some of the stickers have some bubbles, but the mechnism works nice. The yellow is not yet the typical Schwartz-yellow, you might see it on the picture.

Frank

Link to my website: Frank's Puzzle Library
Please use puzzles@tiex.de to contact me. I disabled PMs.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:07 pm 

I'm sorry but, I was only on the forum about a month before Frank passed.I always thought Frank's last name was Flambore. :?:

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:21 am 

I love Dave's idea of a thread commemorating all of Frank's puzzle related work and sharing stories of how his puzzles came into our possession. So even though I have already posted a picture of my golden twisted 1x1x1 cubie from Frank (and some people might question whether it really qualifies as a "puzzle" :wink: ), I want to add it as my contribution to this thread:

Sadly, I only got in touch with Frank after he was diagnosed with leukemia and had stopped making puzzles. So for me, his strength, courage, optimism and never-ending fighting spirit have been even more inspirational than his puzzles. I am grateful for the way he openly shared his ups and downs with us all and showed us that it is possible to keep a positive outlook even when facing life's toughest trials.

When I recently bought some puzzles from his collection, he knew how much I would have loved owning a puzzle made by him with the little significant 'f'. So he included the golden twisted 1x1x1 and even put an 'f' on it. Needless to say, that cubie holds a special place in my heart, and will always remind me of what a great and generous person Frank was.

Frank Tiex wrote:
.. and there is Klara's golden twisted cubie with an 'f' on it of course!
Any other 'f's out there?

I recall seeing another twisted cubie with an 'f' in this post by Rox. But that is still "'f on yellow", so mine is the only "'f on gold" I know of so far... ;)

Beans wrote:
I'm sorry but, I was only on the forum about a month before Frank passed.I always thought Frank's last name was Flambore. :?:

You may be interested in reading Frank's own explanation of how he came to use flambore as his forum name. :wink: (Posted less than a week before he passed away. He really shared his precious time with us to the very end.)

Last edited by Klara on Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:39 pm 

The puzzle that got me into puzzles was one of Frank's, which was a test cast at the time. He never intended to make any more of these simple mods, making this puzzle more valuable in my opinion. I came across this mod's thread while looking for a solution to the 3x3x3 (come on! Only few have come up with their own solutions!). That was my epiphany that made me so interested in this topic. Now I own the very puzzle that got me into puzzling. I present to you: Frank's Half-Truncated 3x3x3!

Attachment:
halftruncs.jpg
halftruncs.jpg [ 24.33 KiB | Viewed 1784 times ]

He was kind enough to add the mini truncated cube for free.
beans wrote:
I always thought Frank's last name was Flambore.

So did I until the PayPal invoice for the puzzle.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:42 am 

I do not own a puzzle built by Frank but I've got a Ghost Cube from Taylor Howell with Frank's stickers on it:

The history of the puzzle itself is quite interesting.
Geert wrote:
I had and have a lot of contacts with Adam Cowan about his (new) puzzles. That was also the case in 2008 when he had some new designs. One of those was the Ghost Cube. He sent me files in September or October 2008 and I had 2 sets of parts printed. I received those parts on Friday 17 October, the day before the DCD weekend in 2008.
On Friday evening Anthony Greenhill and I assembled the cubes which was kind of a 'puzzle' in itself since we had no additional information and also had parts from another puzzle. We didn't even have stickers yet when showing the puzzle at the DCD. Later on, I traded one sample with Taylor.
So, this puzzle is one of the 2 original first ones that were built.
And Taylor got the stickers from Frank (flambore, whose last name Schwartz I've seen in this thread for the first time). Taylor wrote: "stickers from our own Frank (flambore)."
So, this is my memory of Frank, whom I knew by his posts in this forum only. From those I can conclude that all the good things told about Frank here, are true. The world would be better, if there are more of his kind.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:52 am 

Frank helped by prototyping my Round-1 Puzzle, and almost all Round-1 stickers were cut by him. Only Jared Loewen's puzzle had stickers cut by Dr. Sticker, and he custom ordered them.

-CC10

Best solve: 28.84s

SSCoasters.net - the biggest K'Nex roller coaster website on the planet
KnexForum.com - the best forum for everything else K'Nex