Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: my 5x5
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:35 pm 

All right everyone knows that eastsheens are great out of the box and over time they can start to lock up a bit more and that rubiks brands take some time to workin and can cut corners much easier, but what if you work in a rubiks 5x5 to the point where it pops every second.
One of my rubiks 5x5 have been dropped and one of the whole centers came of I put a little bit of glue into the core and tried to screw it back in then it was like all the other centers again. So seeing this screw later when its been worked in a lot more I tried to take of a center cap and tighten each screw after much effort the cap finnaly came of only for me to realize that it just a flat top no where to screw it in. So now I'm stuck both my rubiks brand are way to loose to speed cube I have to go real slow to keep from poping. any suggestions.

Thanks in advanced
Cwald

Post subject: Re: my 5x5
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:34 pm 

cwwalden wrote:
All right everyone knows that eastsheens are great out of the box and over time they can start to lock up a bit more and that rubiks brands take some time to workin and can cut corners much easier, but what if you work in a rubiks 5x5 to the point where it pops every second.
One of my rubiks 5x5 have been dropped and one of the whole centers came of I put a little bit of glue into the core and tried to screw it back in then it was like all the other centers again. So seeing this screw later when its been worked in a lot more I tried to take of a center cap and tighten each screw after much effort the cap finnaly came of only for me to realize that it just a flat top no where to screw it in. So now I'm stuck both my rubiks brand are way to loose to speed cube I have to go real slow to keep from poping. any suggestions.

Thanks in advanced
Cwald

Try putting springs in an eastsheen 5x5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:45 pm 

SilverPotato wrote:
Try putting springs in an eastsheen 5x5

Got a link to a guide on doing this?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:55 pm 

does anyone have a page on how to sping load a eastsheen 5x5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:54 am 

Most people do NOT spring load eastsheens for speed cubing. Even though they will have insane tolerance and be a little slower than they were (still pretty fast) if you have a pop there are so many internal pieces that you are SCREWED beyond a doubt. and all store bought rubik's cubes use rivets, there is no way to tighten the screws. You could theortically spring mod it to fix them both however it's been a while since i've looked at internals for a R5x5 so i wouldn't know how to tell you how to do it.

Sorry for your loss of both 5x5's

Edit:
Just opened up my 5x5, if you used the general spring mod technique, you would need to find a huge replacement core, not sure if that's going to work as well as i thought.

4x4:PB:2:38.XX |
5x5:PB:4.52.XX |

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:52 pm 

khjs534 wrote:
Most people do NOT spring load eastsheens for speed cubing

Even saying "most do not" overstates it I believe. As far as I know, Omega is the only person to have done it.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:38 am 

i've seem husky omegas video but he doesn't explain how to do the mod

and ES5x5 don't have and internal parts besides the core so I'm not sure what is meant by this.