Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Master Pyraminx
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:12 am 

has the mechanism been released yet, i've looked and havent found it, if so could someone at least tell me if this guese is right?

-centers, function like centers on a dogic puzzle
-outer edges, regular pyraminx edge
-inner edge, large piece with groove for the outer edges and corners like the inner most pieces of a dogic puzzle to hold the centers in
-peaks, pyraminx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:50 am 

I hope this link helps. It is made out of a skewb. Scroll down to one of Noah's posts.

viewtopic.php?t=8654

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:38 am 

Jesse Werner wrote:
I hope this link helps. It is made out of a skewb. Scroll down to one of Noah's posts.

I don't think that is the way to make a Master Pyraminx.

I see it like this: take a Pyraminx and remove the bottom layer, so you'll end up with only one corner, three edge pieces and a trivial point. Do this with four Pyraminxes. These parts go on four sides of a Skewb Diamond. Et voilĂ .

(Yes, it will need much more work, but this is the basic idea.)

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:51 am 

Thomas wrote:
Jesse Werner wrote:

I don't think that is the way to make a Master Pyraminx.

Are you sure? I won't tell if it hasn't been 'officially' released, but I've been told by who actually made mine. ;)

Quote:
I see it like this: take a Pyraminx and remove the bottom layer, so you'll end up with only one corner, three edge pieces and a trivial point. Do this with four Pyraminxes. These parts go on four sides of a Skewb Diamond. Et voilĂ .

(Yes, it will need much more work, but this is the basic idea.)

Thomas

Isn't the skewb and skewb diamond the same mech?

I'm sorry, Thomas, I really don't mean to point this out against you. You are a really great builder, and those statements just seemed odd to me.

Heck, maybe you can find another way of building one, that's my guess as you have been creating really 'out of the ordinary' mods... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:44 pm 

I like the way Thomas is thinking about it, and I would provide the pictures if I could still find them.

I remember one of the foreign builders with a few posts had posted here, and we looked through a Japanese forum he posted at, and we found many interesting and well built puzzles. One of which was a Master Pyraminx and was made from a Skewb Diamond in the exact same method Thomas described.

Other puzzles were there too. I remember seeing something dubbed "The Rice Cube" which was a Super X hand made.

[EDIT] I still stand by my post in the other thread though. I mean, both ways are legitimate, but Mr, Okamoto, either uses a keychain Skewb, or cuts down a lot of the puzzle, which wouldn't matter if it was a Skewb or a Skewb Diamond.

I made this deduction by examining the size. Also looking at the center piece on the faces, it has to be either a corner on the or a floating corner, and it is far to small to be a regular Skewb piece if you ask me.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:09 pm 

reeeech wrote:
Heck, maybe you can find another way of building one, that's my guess as you have been creating really 'out of the ordinary' mods... ;)

Of course I'm not saying that Katsuhiko Okamoto really used four Pyraminxes and a Skewb Diamond to build his Master Pyraminxes. But only after using that analogy did I grasp the concept of the Master Pyraminx.

If you look at the existing patents (see pictures and links below) you'll see that they at least look like bits of a Pyraminx, attached to a Skewb mechanism. But Katsuhiko Okamoto probably made them from scratch. Maybe he didn't even use a real Skewb mechanism.

Thomas

v3.espacenet.com/origdoc?IDX=DE19849279&QPN=DE19849279

v3.espacenet.com/origdoc?IDX=SU1232171&QPN=SU1232171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:12 pm 

Thomas wrote:
If you like at the patents (see pictures below) you'll see that they at least look like bits of a Pyraminx, attached to a Skewb mechanism. But Katsuhiko Okamoto probably made them from scratch. Maybe he didn't even use a real Skewb mechanism.

Thomas

Ya know, that's not far fetched either. Doesn't he have his own (or at least access) to machining equipment? I'm sure he has found a way to make his own mechs.

I'm going to start playing with mine again. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:58 pm 

Yes, he has his own equipment (or it's his father's or something of that sort). Apparently you can see the lines on the plastic left over from the machining. I forgot to look closely on the MP when I played with one.

The way I like to see it (the MP) is a H-M Tetrahedron that was made functional on the tips, kinda similar to the Dino Cube and the Lattice Cube.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:21 pm 

Even in some of the closeup photographs of Okamoto's various puzzles you can clearly see how the blocks were machined.

Yes you can *almost* pull off a master pyraminx using the method Thomas described. The big problem I had was keeping the "feet" of the triangular pieces stable enough when the piece was completely hanging off the edge of the puzzle.

That was quite a few years ago however, before I had some of the tools I have now along with a bit more skill and experience. This discussion has certainly made me believe that the puzzle is worth a revisit. The main issue is that the feet need to be extended to make the puzzle stable enough but only along one plane of rotation. It has to be completely flat and smooth on the other plane. If you can do that then you will have a functional Master Pyraminx without too much difficulty, even if it's a bit on the large side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:05 pm 

so the spindle attaches to the centers which hold in aditional spindle like mechanisms for the tips. tips hold on outer edges and centers hold on the inner edges.

elegant because the puzzle twists on both corners and faces depending on how you think about it.

edit: this would definetly be easier from a skewb, i just popped open my pyraminx and the modifications that you would have to make are insane.