Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Studio Cubes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:19 pm 

Just wanted to start a topic of peoples reviews/thoughts on the new Rubik's Studio cubes.

My First Impression- (I own a 2x2 and 5x5 (Grrr why didn't i get the 4x4?))

2x2 - Still the same size as the regular Rubik's one but moves a lot better! Mine gets caught a lot but still manages to move pretty well. I had hoped that they would make something to rival the Eastsheen/Mefferts one but not this time. I like the size of the Eastsheen one and was praying that the studio would upgrade it but its still a very good cube. :)

5x5 - First getting it out of the packaging = Omg, this is amazing. it turned very smoothly and it didn't need much force to turn. the outer layers are a little more difficult to rotate (as always on the rubiks brand ones) but i love it all the same.
idk about lubing it but its still awesome.

I have not tried the old ones and cannot compare it to them but these are great cubes and im happy to have bought them :).

NAR: Master Magic
Average = 2.75
Single = 2.63

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:20 pm 

Just got mine out of the box - BIG thanks to Mr.Twisty! I got a full set - 2x2 through 5x5 to "match" my Eastsheen set. I really like the size of these cubes - especially the 5x5 has a great feel to it. Movement so far seems very good and sturdy - I think they will need a good bit of breaking in, so I'm holding back judgment until then - they don't feel quite as smooth as the Eastsheens do out of the box, but the plus side is they feel much more sturdy and less likely to pop. Hopefully just a little usage and maybe lube will fix them up perfect.

As for the 2x2 I'm keeping it in the box... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:51 am 

Just got mine!

There is definitely a noticable difference with both the 4x4x4 and 5x5x5.

The 4x4x4 has a different feel to it-- not stiff, yet no rattling sensation either.

The 5x5x5 feels similar to a very nicely broken in 5x5x5-- right ouf of the box.

I intend to break them both in with no lubing or disassembly and see how they perform. Eventually they'll get some oil, but for now I'm just curious to see how they respond to usage.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:03 pm 

Got the new 4x4x4, don't like it yet.

It's lighter than I expected and the outer layers click and sometimes lock; not completely smooth. The inner layers don't move well, but that can be fixed with lube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:39 pm 

got the 4x4 and 5x5, THANKS A MILLION MR. TWISTY!

now...
the 4x4 turns better outta the box than the old ones, but it looks just like the ones found at toys r us now, same logo, everything. i think they are the same exact cube. i thought the rubik studio cubes were supposed to be better than the mass produced, sold in american stores, etc. cubes.
even the stickers look just like the crummy, peely kind used on the last (hex packaged) 4x4. it also clicks and pops ALOT when turning. kinda bummed about this cube.

5x5:
AWFUL. the older version i have (the hex packaging) turned MUCH better than this straight from the box, and has since been broken in nicely. this new one seems WORSE. turning faces is close to impossible, it locks like crazy, and the whole cube (this is hard to explain) kinda twists, making turns impossible. i never had this twisty cube issue on my other 5x5. again, the stickers look like the old junky ones. even the logo is the same as my old 5x5 logo. thought the studio cube stickers at least would be better (like the 3x3 cubes are), you know, GOOD quality stickers, with the orange stickers being super bright.
i feel ripped off (not by mr. twisty, i am extremely grateful for the hassle he went through for us), but by rubik's studio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:04 pm 

I am sorry if there are some people who are not happy with their cubes. A similar situation developed last time which made me hesitant to do this order. The last thing I want to do is rock the forum and ruin my reptution on this forum.

I have put in a message to the studio asking about the 5x5x5 cubes and why the logo is not the same as the 4x4x4.

However, a point of clarification. I believe this has been mentioned somewhere on the fourm. The 4x4x4 & 5x5x5 from the rubiks studio is the same cube sold by rubiks.com, at least that is what I have been told. The box is about the only difference. The 3x3x3 is a different cube as it is adjustable and not rivited. I am not sure about the 2x2x2.

However, I was told that I was getting the improved 4x4x4 & 5x5x5 cubes as the old ones were out of stock and depleted. I will keep you updated with what news I find out.

Sorry for any trouble or confusion. The studio is really starting to put a sour taste in my mouth. Hopefully Mefferts and Olypicubes will have new puzzles for christmas and bring a smile back to my face. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:12 pm 

hmmm it seems like many people weren't satisfied with the 5x5.. but i agree with pelley, it works very well for me EXCEPT the outer layers are constantly locking. it has the a logo that says cube puzzle with a regular 3x3 on it (seeing the other post in the marketplace about it).

NAR: Master Magic
Average = 2.75
Single = 2.63

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:15 pm 

destro wrote:
i feel ripped off (not by mr. twisty, i am extremely grateful for the hassle he went through for us), but by rubik's studio.

Totally agree. Thanks for putting up with Rubik's Studio and getting these cubes to us, Mr. Twisty.

After doing two averages and a lubing on the 4x4, it feels much better. While not perfect or ideal, I think it was definitely a good deal and am somewhat pleased with it now. I'm scared to take it at full speed, though. I'll soon see how well it fares in competition, though, since somehow my competition averages tend to be faster than at-home averages...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:24 pm 

i agree about the 4x4, it seems like it has potential to be a better cube, but it does suck that it is the EXACT same cube now sold for something like $12 at my toys r us. i was expecting better from the studio, thats all.
and after trying out the 5x5 a few more times, i believe that it is the EXACT same cube that i purchased awhile back. nothing "retooled", nothing "studio" (except the packaging) about it. i put a lot of time and effort into making that (earlier bought) cube somewhat decent. i dont think i will waste my time on this "new" one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:34 pm 
I'll see how they hold up over time, then if they are well I will order from Amazon (yea, i got an email saying they have new 4x4s) and As for the 5x5s, since people don't seem to like them as much I will wait much longer to see how they are

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:28 pm 

Judging from the numbered mold identifiers inside the cube, the Studio 5x5x5 is certainly based on the "new" molds. But a retail cube I bought for comparison is also manufactured with the new molds.

Interior workmanship is fair-to-good. I saw very little flashing, and no burrs on the actual wear surfaces. The inner slices move acceptably, but the outer slices (face turns) are uncomfortably tight. The stickers are only mediocre.

Overall this Studio 5x5x5 is inferior to the Meffert's Prof. Cube Collector's Special that I reviewed last month. The Studio cube is cleaner, whereas the stickers on the Meffert's Collector's Special cube needed some cleaning.

I'm glad I did it, though. I'm a 5x5x5 junkie, so I really wanted to compare for myself. Besides, I can always use another cube for displaying a static pattern!

Edit This post is now known to be incorrect, as Pelley discovered these are not "new" cubes after all.

Last edited by VeryWetPaint on Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:44 am 

Got a studio 5x5x5 cube a month or so ago, and at first, it was very, very diffult to turn, and I was initially a bit cheesed off... But it has since worn in very nicely, and I'm very happy with it now. Whenever you're watching TV, or doing some mindless thing where you aren't using your hands, use that time to just turn the faces, over and over, and they'll eventually settle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:51 am 

For some reason I was thinking the new pieces of the 5x5x5 would be radically different-- particularly the center pieces. I seem to remember a thread where a rendering of the new center piece was shown. But I can't find that picture now. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

The 5x5x5 I got is an improvement but I suspect the mechanism is the same old mechanism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:06 am 

That was for the 4x4 that Per posted.

[02:25] <fusion> does look ahead on a 3x3 make someone faster?
[02:25] <Swordsman_Kirby> Yes.
[02:25] <fusion> maybe i should try that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:20 am 

Swordsman Kirby wrote:
That was for the 4x4 that Per posted.

No, I remember that post (and I found it). It showed the funky blue and yellow center pieces. My 4x4x4 definitely has the new mech.

But this was a rendering of the 5x5x5 centers, and they seemed to have little "feet" on all four corners, making their shape more exaggerated than the standard centers. People speculated that the cubes would be more difficult to disassemble. I know I didn't dream this!

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:50 am 

Hi :-(

By the sound of it it does seem that we have been screwed this time. I am willing to bet quite a lot that the studio guys have sent out a mix of old and new versions of the cubes. This would be a contract breech in other circumstances. Highly irrespectable :cry:

I just hope i am amongst the lucky ones getting the right cubes. Anyway i need spare cubes - new version or not :roll:

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:29 am 

Curiosity got the best of me, so I took apart the new 5x5x5 and an older one from a couple years ago. Sadly, they are identical. Even the imperfections in the molds are the same. Fortunately the cube I received turns more smoothly, but I think this is simply a random result due to the tightness of the center rivets.

Attachments:
innards.jpg
innards.jpg [ 28.3 KiB | Viewed 7724 times ]
File comment: Comparison of pieces
prof_compare.jpg
prof_compare.jpg [ 52.55 KiB | Viewed 7731 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:43 am 

pelley wrote:
Curiosity got the best of me, so I took apart the new 5x5x5 and an older one from a couple years ago. Sadly, they are identical. Even the imperfections in the molds are the same. Fortunately the cube I received turns more smoothly, but I think this is simply a random result due to the tightness of the center rivets.

Hi, could you post close up shots of the wings of the outer edges of the "new and old versions. Does there seem to be any difference in the width of the "wings"??

Best regards,

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:19 am 

Okay, I'm not going crazy. Here is the post:

viewtopic.php?p=48176#48176

I've attached the image that I remembered.

Maybe I was wrong to assume this, but I thought this was the new improved mechanism we were getting.

I already reassembled the cubes, but I'll take pictures of the wings when I get a chance. Shaving the wings a bit probably does improve the movement, but it's not a new mechanism.

Chris

Attachments:
File comment: 5x5x5 new mechanism
5x5_modified_assembly.jpg
5x5_modified_assembly.jpg [ 32.06 KiB | Viewed 7709 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:30 am 

Yeah, I remember that post too. I'm more than a little disappointed that the new cubes don't have this design... I think my parents have gotten the cubes I ordered, but I'm at college and they're bringing them in 2 weeks or so, so we'll see how they turn out. I really hope that they are actually new versions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:23 pm 

Pelley can you remember how long ago you bought the old 5x5x5 that uses the same molds? Apparently the Rubik's brand has been using them for a few years, but I haven't been buying that brand.

To me what distinguishes these molds is that they're identified by numbers, not letters. Anyone know when the numbered molds started showing up?

Until I bought this pair (the Studio and the "new" retail cube) all 5x5x5s I'd ever examined used the same letter-identified mold set. This includes every Meffert Professor cube (including the current "Collector's" edition and tiled cubes), Rubik's Wahn, Bandelow, and a couple from unknown sources. In my opinion the old lettered molds produced better cubes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:13 am 

perfredlund wrote:
Hi, could you post close up shots of the wings of the outer edges of the "new and old versions. Does there seem to be any difference in the width of the "wings"??

Here's a couple photos of the same two #2 wing pieces. Again, the molds have identical markings and imperfections. I cannot see any difference in the thickness of any part of these pieces.

Attachments:
wing2.jpg
wing2.jpg [ 21.23 KiB | Viewed 7630 times ]
wing1.jpg
wing1.jpg [ 20.05 KiB | Viewed 7627 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:25 pm 

Who did they think they are going to fool, sending out the old version as new ones. This is horrible :evil:

Well, at least i get a spare 5x5x5 not a NEW toy. I have had a prototype of the new 4x4x4 for quite a while, and im not too impressed with it, apart ffrom improved stability.

What are the guys at rubiks studio playing at?

What we should do is to send the 5x5x5 ones that we got back to them and claim the REAL new ones as a free compensation. Sadly i cannot see how this would be done :oops:

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:56 pm 

perfredlund wrote:
I have had a prototype of the new 4x4x4 for quite a while, and im not too impressed with it, apart ffrom improved stability.

that seems to be the only difference. less likely to pop (or explode, whatever). therefore, more stable.
i took apart both my 1982 revenge, my hex packaged rubiks.com, and this new "retooled" 4x4 to compare the center feet. the extra pointy bit on the foot i guess is supposed to help prevent cube explosions, but the actual stem doesnt seem to be any thicker. maybe by a hair if anything, and thats probably just my imagination. the biggest problem with my rubiks.com cube is that i have had to superglue two different center piece "foot stems" or whatever you wanna call them. breaking one is bad, breaking two just sucks. i was never rough with the cube, they just snapped. i was hoping that the newer cubes would of had a much thicker center foot stem, and therefore, a lot less fragile. this "retooled mechanism" seems, to me, to be a horrible joke.

edit:
i think i need to put in an early order for some new stickers at cubesmith (i have a conspiracy theory about cubesmith and rubiks...why else would they make such crappy stickers). his orders take forever to arrive in my mailbox, and my new 4x4, after only a day, has peeling, messed up stickers. better place an early sticker order...

Last edited by destro on Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:07 pm 

perfredlund wrote:

What we should do is to send the 5x5x5 ones that we got back to them and claim the REAL new ones as a free compensation. Sadly i cannot see how this would be done :oops:

-Per

well, for me personally, i am never going to touch this "new" 5x5 that i got, so if they want it back, it will be sent back in the same condition in which i recieved it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:28 pm 

For the 4x4, there are definetly modifications to the puzzle besides the center feet. For instance, the ball portion of it is different too. I can't think of why they would modify that, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:43 pm 

exactly. why is that "modified"? it is exactly the same, it just has some extra, pointless holes in it. my only guess is to make the cube weigh a tiny bit less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:31 pm 

Take it (the center ball) apart and you'll see how it is modified. Why it is modified I don't know but since it couldn't really help the cube's functionality I think it is probably for ease of production.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:01 am 

professorcube5x5 wrote:
For the 4x4, there are definetly modifications to the puzzle besides the center feet. For instance, the ball portion of it is different too. I can't think of why they would modify that, though.

The center ball is modified to remove the gap beneath the center feet. It was this gap allowing mislaignment of centers and leading to edge popping. It is easy to see why and how they did this. It is not done in order to ease production 8-) It remains to be seen if the new 4x4x4 will break in nicely over time. A new modified one does NOT turn as nicely as a new old version, but i cann see that the modified will eb more stable and last longer (disregarding center breakage of course ...)

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:25 pm 

Interesting. Mine broke in very easily, in fact I took it apart twice, once to lube it and once to check out the mechanism. The second time when I lubed it it became extremely well broken in. My idea is that the lube I am using penetrated the plastic (not usually good) and made more room for the puzzle to turn. Now it turns like a charm, but there are a little more pops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:41 pm 

professorcube5x5 wrote:
Interesting. Mine broke in very easily, in fact I took it apart twice, once to lube it and once to check out the mechanism. The second time when I lubed it it became extremely well broken in. My idea is that the lube I am using penetrated the plastic (not usually good) and made more room for the puzzle to turn. Now it turns like a charm, but there are a little more pops.

Your new modified 4x4x4 pops? I guess that is actually bad news. It will eventually be too loose. Hmmm ...

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:54 pm 

Received my order this morning of 2 4x4x4 cubes--thanks mr.twisty, great packaging and really quick shipping!

As for the cubes though...

Prior to getting this order I owned two 4x4 puzzles. One is an "old model" studio cube, and it's utter garbage. From day 1, it has been phenomenally stiff to turn, and falls apart when you use it. Hours of sanding, lubricating, and building up has gotten it to the point where it is usable, but not what I would describe as a quality product. The other one I got from this guy (although he doesn't seem to have any in stock right now...) and it has been pure bliss right from the moment I got it. And it has the "old" round feet too!

Why mention this? Basically because I now have a benchmark of performance! While the new cubes are certainly an improvement over my older studio cube, it would be fair to say that they are still not as nice as the Chinese version in terms of both movement and stability. The new ones turn smoothly, but the movement is kind of stiff, and the edge pieces do still pry out slightly turing turns of the center slices (although they no longer fall out, so that's good).

The bottom line? I would happily do business with mr.twisty anytime, and I am amazed at how cool he's been through all of this hassle. However, I don't think I'll be sending any more funds to rubik's studio though, as the end result was not worth the headache they have caused so many people.

On the upside of things, I now have stock to make a contoured gigamorphix, which along with one other puzzle I'm planning *may* now be completed before christmas :)

Cheers!

Last edited by the.drizzle on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:02 pm 

Has anyone outside of America received new models?

cube4you has the new ones: http://www.cube4you.com/242_Rubiks-Stud ... -cube.html

:!: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:06 pm 

ExoCorsair wrote:

Last time I checked, New Zealand is not part of America. How's them geography lessons working out for you? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:13 pm 

perfredlund wrote:
Your new modified 4x4x4 pops? I guess that is actually bad news. It will eventually be too loose. Hmmm ...

-Per

Yes, it has popped. But it was never a catastrophic pop, the only piece that popped out was the edge piece.

That is interesting that Cube4You has the "retooled" ones. I am guessing those are legit since they have the "new" logo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:34 pm 

the.drizzle wrote:
ExoCorsair wrote:

Last time I checked, New Zealand is not part of America. How's them geography lessons working out for you? ;)

Maybe I should've said "those who received their shipment from Mr. Twisty". Second time this has happened, typing without thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:43 pm 

professorcube5x5 wrote:
That is interesting that Cube4You has the "retooled" ones. I am guessing those are legit since they have the "new" logo.

I'll believe it when I see it. Just because a cube has different stickers doesn't mean it has a new mechanism.

If anybody actually gets something different, please post photos so we can see what we were supposed to receive.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:48 pm 

I'm ordering all the studio cubes form cube4you, ill post pictures when i get them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:31 pm 

pelley wrote:
professorcube5x5 wrote:

I'll believe it when I see it. Just because a cube has different stickers doesn't mean it has a new mechanism.

If anybody actually gets something different, please post photos so we can see what we were supposed to receive.

Chris

Amen to this, I'll believe it when I see it also, however I will not spend another penny on a studio cube unless until I see it and feel the difference for myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:54 pm 

Did anyone receive a 5x5x5 cube from me that had the new logo on it????

If so, let me know. I never did open the boxes to view the logo.

Secondly, I am waiting to hear back on 2 messages from the rubik's studio.

I am the one who helped Rubik (cube4you) get his puzzles. I am not happy that he got new logos and I did not on the 5x5x5 cubes.

Regardless of what they decide to do, I think I am done with the Rubik's Studio. However, it seems like I am the only one in the USA that they will ship to. They do not have the marketing rights in the USA and so I was a special exemption that they allowed in small orders (or something like that). Winning moves, I know has the majority of the rights in the usa along with rubiks.com

I will let you know what I hear from the Studio. Hopefully in the next 12 hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:21 am 

is this a new mechanism for the 4x4?
got it off of the cube4you forum, posted by Rubik himself

Attachments:
P1070535.jpg
P1070535.jpg [ 25.5 KiB | Viewed 7314 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:06 am 

I received my 5x5 about 5 minutes ago.

From the box, it seems to turn far better than my current rubiks.com one, however it does have a good tendency to lock when turning the outer faces. (This has been my experience with other Studio cubes so I am not worried there.)
This does feel like it has been retooled, but the logo is still the old standard one.

Gimme a week to start breaking this bad boy in and then I will give it a proper review.

Cheers Dodd!

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:43 am 

cliffahn wrote:
is this a new mechanism for the 4x4?
got it off of the cube4you forum, posted by Rubik himself

Yes that is the new mechanism for sure!!

The problem seems to be only with the 5x5x5, we have received from Rubiks Studio OLD versions not the new retooled ones. If people just start to use them we have no way of returning them in order to have them replaced. This would be extremely hard to organise anyway (considering shipping costs).
Oh well ...

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:51 am 

Mr.Twisty wrote:
The 4x4x4 & 5x5x5 from the rubiks studio is the same cube sold by rubiks.com, at least that is what I have been told. The box is about the only difference.

did you know this when everyone was placing their orders with you? when did you find this out?
in the original order thread here: viewtopic.php?t=7349

question:
flaakinator wrote:
I'm sory for my ignorance but what are studio cubes.

answer:
Mr.Twisty wrote:
Rubik's Cubes produced by the Rubik Studio in Hungary. Not sold in North America.

this seems odd to me. im just curious when you knew that the "studio" cubes for the 4x4 and 5x5 were the same cube sold in north america.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:44 pm 

pelley wrote:

But an old logo definitely means that it is an old mechanism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:11 pm 

and also, i find it kinda crazy that cliffahn (amongst others) would pay, i dont even remember, what is it...$48-$50 or something for this supposed "studio" 5x5 cube from cubefans?
cubefans is ripping people off, whether or not it is indeed "retooled" or not.
cliffahn, dont be a sucker, you WILL BE dissapointed. just get an eastsheen 5x5, or ANY rubik's brand 5x5 from ebay, rubiks. com or ANYWHERE else. i swear to you it is the same exact cube, but for a ton less $...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:48 pm 

im willing to take that risk. from what i hear, the cube4you studio cubes have the new logos, so there is a chance that they are the new ones and plus, its not like its rubik's fault if rubik's studio sent him fakies, i won't blame him. ill just never trust studio cubes again. its worth the risk to see if they're legit for the sake of the cubing community. plus, i really want a full set of studios.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:47 am 

No response yet from the Studio.

Don't be too judgemental about the price that cube4you is selling his studio cubes for. I know what he paid and he really got a raw deal with customs. His shipping costs and customs charges were huge compared to mine. Let him charge what he wants. If they don't sell, then maybe he will change the price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:59 pm 

Mr.Twisty wrote:

What does the new vs. old logo look like? Mine says "Rubik's" in colored letters, has a red faced cube under that, then "Cube puzzles" with "Cube" in colored letters, and below that "www.rubiks.com"

Sorry, I don't know which one this is as I have nothing to compare it to.

Out of the box it has been stiff with some considerable locking. I've been working it in for a number of days now and am considering cleanining and lubricating it, but I want to make use of that friction to smooth things before I give in. Any tips on how long to tough it out before lubricating? It is considerably better now than when I took it out of the box, but still needs lots of work to be nice.
I have never bought a Rubik's 5x5x5 before though (just Bandelow's from the mid 1990s) so I don't know if this is better or not.

Interestingly, it is easier to move a second slice than an edge slice or both the edge and second slice together. Turning just this slice kind of leaves behind the edge slice. If I just push the second slice one would expect the edge to mostly turn with it. Instead after three 1/4 turns the edge is a whole turn off. On my other ES 5x5x5 they always stay together and on my Bandelow 5x5x5 (broken in and lubricated) it takes about five second slice turns to leave the edge slice behind.

The 4x4x4 I have is definitely retooled (I took it apart to shave a few pieces, but didn't find much to do...). The edges move faster than my older 4x4x4s (most 15 years old) and I think once lubricated it will work well. I am holding off because it is not nearly a smooth as I would like yet. Once there are fewer clicks I'll give it a good cleaning and lube it.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:24 pm 

dlitwin wrote:
Mr.Twisty wrote:

What does the new vs. old logo look like? Mine says "Rubik's" in colored letters, has a red faced cube under that, then "Cube puzzles" with "Cube" in colored letters, and below that "www.rubiks.com"

Sorry, I don't know which one this is as I have nothing to compare it to.

Dave

. Here is my proof below. The picture you want to have is in professorcube5x5's Avatar which is 26 messages below from top.

viewtopic.php?t=8023

Please read where masterofthebass posted(4 messages from the bottum).

viewtopic.php?t=7349&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50

Heres that link masterofthebass provided in the messaged.

http://www.cube4you.com/99_Rubiks-3x3-w ... -logo.html

I'm glad to help you out. No problem at all!!!