Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best and worst reactions to cubing in public?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:05 am 

The search function on this site doesn't work that well, so I couldn't find any threads on the matter in the past little while, so I decided to start a new one.

Best:
-I was solving on the bus and some guy walked up to me and said, "Dude, you need a girlfriend." My immediate response: "This is how I GOT my girlfriend." He sheepishly left the bus before he could say anything else.
-Was in the Starbucks buying coffee for my girlfriend. I had the cube with me and the girl behind the counter wanted to see me solve it. I proceed to solve it in 30 seconds and she gives me a coupon for free coffee.

Worst:
-Some guy accused me of "cheating" because I learned the solution from the Internet as opposed to figuring it out for myself, and then the guy just WOULDN'T shut up about it. Using that rationale, I suppose that when he wants to light a cigarette, he goes off and steals fire from the neighbouring village, because he hasn't figured out how to rub two sticks together. But on the plus side, as I'm leaving the bus, one of the people overhearing this looks at me and gives a quick glance over his shoulder and shakes his head. "What a moron!" he says.
-"That's really annoying, can you give it a rest?"

4x4x4 - 3:19.68 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3sDLT87TNQ
5x5x5 - 4:46.96 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8E1_6zV_zU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:35 pm 

Best:
-One day while I was studying at my local community college, I decided to take a break and mess with my cubes for a while. Within five minutes, I had a plethora of college students surrounding my table, begging to let them scramble my cubes. That continued for half an hour until they were all done with dinner, then I left.
-A summer camp I attend every year has a talent show towards the end of the week. This past year, when my times for the three by three were around 40 seconds, I decided to flaunt my cubes. I had been solving them every now and then during the week, so other campers had already developed an interest. When I came out on the stage, I got a standing ovation. Once I quieted them down, I let two counselors scramble my cubes. I solved both of them, and people were obsessed with me for the remainder of camp.

Worst:
-The worst reaction I've recieved from cubing hasn't been too rough. Usually I just get condescending glares or contempt, never any serious things. (Would you consider Youtube videos to be "in public"?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:50 pm 

Best:

Our football team has a television show made of it (Varisty Inc.), and one time I brought a extended 3x3x5 to the locker room and started solving it. The cameras came over and filmed me doing it, they were amazed at how crazy it looked. I doubt it'll be on the show, but it's still awesome.

Also just any time I brought a cube to the locker room a bunch of people would gather around and ooh and ahh and whatnot and ask me the questions I state below.

In some of my classes I'd solve it before class and people crowd around, but after two of three times of this the teachers get tired of it and make me put it away.

In Calculus class I taught a guy how to do it and I felt awesome knowing that I passed it down to someone else. I now show him my new 3x3 mods and see if he can solve them.

Worst:

I've also had alot of people tell me that "you're cheating because you learned the secret" or even "teach me the move to do it", so I have to proceed to tell them that it is harder than they think to learn and that there is not just one move to solve it. That gets old really quick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:46 pm 

I don't usually show people my puzzles. But one time I did and the reactions were...

Best: People watching me in a small group and lots of positive comments.

Worst: Well it isn't that bad but people say "I got one side before!" or they say I have no life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:57 pm 

- Hot, well endowed girl saying "You must be great with your fingers". She and I dated for 4 months. She turned out to be a pompous, spoiled little blank, so I'm glad that it's over, but none the less, she was nice for the first 3 months.

- A couple weeks ago I entered a joke man pageant for my dorm complex. We had to give a small speech, show off a talent, and then go on the cat walk. I threw out a 30.08 time (cell phone stop watch) and the whole crowd erupted in cheering. In the end, I got third place, and won a 512MB MP3 player. Not bad for 20 minutes of my time. First place was a girl in drag whose talent was "Having [breasts]" and punching herself in the groin. Second place was a guy everyone knows and loves. His talent was dancing to "Soulja Boy".

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:43 am 

This isn't categorized in "best or worst", but a reaction I get very often is a
"holy crap i'm in awe" stare that about everyone gives me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:50 am 

My favorite Reaction:

Person: Wow, you can solve that! You must be really good at math!
Me: This doesn't really have much to do with math.
Person: But are you good at math?
Me: Well yeah...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:55 am 

best - I made my chemistry teacher jump up and down around the class going crazy and screaming down the halls.

worst - Not really a reaction, but I'll say what was the worst thing that happened. The teacher told me so solve it in front of the class, i was going for a 25ish second solve, until i popped during POLL. how embarrassing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:39 am 

What's a POLL?

Sounds like a 1LLL to me. :P

[02:25] <fusion> does look ahead on a 3x3 make someone faster?
[02:25] <Swordsman_Kirby> Yes.
[02:25] <fusion> maybe i should try that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:28 am 

eh, i call it poll for permutation of last layer. lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:12 am 

chris_joe wrote:
best - I made my chemistry teacher jump up and down around the class going crazy and screaming down the halls.

I have a hard time believing a teacher would be disturbing other classes.

Last edited by Bryan on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:03 pm 

-Best-
-I was just sitting there in my Biology class one day when my friend pulls out a cube(wal-mart) from his backpack and asks this girl behind him if she is smart while he shows her a messed up cube. She told him that no she couldn't solve one. I look at him and tell him, "I will fix it for you"(really all I had to say). So he hands it to me and I solve it really fast(to them it is really fast since they don't know about speedcubing). Then after I finished solving it everybody that saw or heard crowded around and wanted me to do it again and again. So after a few more times the teacher finds out and wants me to do it in front of the class. I got about one minute at the time but now I am faster(below) and my teacher called me the "Rubik's Master" :D . When it was all done people kept asking me questions about it. lol Since then I have done it for other classes too. :)

-Worst-
-I can't remember if there was a worst for me. All I get though somtimes is people asking me those annoying that everybody else gets around here from time to time. I hated though one time my friend when he was at his home since he couldn't solve his cube he messed up the stickers on the cement :evil: .

Adam

Void Cube
| avg of 12: 32.10
| PB : 22.92 np PLL skip
| PB2 : 26.75 np no skips

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:10 pm 

Best

I had a classmate, Tom, who was good at speedsolving back when there wasn't a name for that sort of thing. I took his cube and, instead of solving it, turned it into a "snake" pattern and handed it back to him.

Tom evidently didn't notice the pattern and thought I'd just given up and put the cube in his pocket. A little while later he took it out, looked it over, and gasped, "Holy **** how did that happen!!"

Worst - but still funny

On a different occasion, I had crated a similar pattern on someone's cube and several people were passing it around. A girl who always wanted to be center of attention blurted, "Oh that's nothing. My boyfriend can actually solve it!" She thought I was just making patterns because it was too hard to solve!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:53 pm 

I have so many stories about reactions I've gotten about it, but I'll have to say the best is:

I learned how to solve a cube the summer before my freshman year of high school. So by the time school started, I was around maybe 1:20 consistently. At lunch, I was showing what I could now do to my friends whom I hadn't seen all summer, and my old neighbor (now a huge football jock would-be-captain-of-the-football-team-if-he-wasn't-only-a-sophomore type guy) saw and came over. Basically, on the first day of freshman year, I end up attracting the attention of the entire cafeteria (~1/4 or so of the school, including seniors). And on top of that, I end up having a legacy for that, which I still have (sophomore now). Every "click" that you'd expect to hate/make fun of nerds admires me, and etc. etc. you can figure out the rest.

Probably the worst reaction was on the second day of school this year. In AP Bio (which all the sophomores had missed the last day because of an assembly or something), the teacher was calling attendance, and when he got to my name, he said something along the lines of, "And don't take out one of those fricking cubes." Note that I hadn't taken one out in that class yet.

That's about it, other than the usual "OMG!!!!" reactions. [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:01 pm 
best: School talent show. When I beat the other kid the entire auditorium stood up and clapped. Or so I'm told. I don't remember anything except what I was doing from that time. Apparently there was music and some random guy on the mic trying to explain what we were doing, but I was to concentrated

worst: Random people who take it and claim they solved it. SO annoying

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:03 pm 

Best- Last year a girl I liked kept making the comment, "I dig guys with Rubik's cubes." She never did go out with me though...

Worst- The cube seems to attract the attention of upper classmen a lot, and for a week or so my new name was "Rubik's."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:41 pm 

Every since I found this thread, I've been bringing my cube with me in public to see if I can get any other new reactions. Strangely enough, most people seem to be oblivious to everything going on around them that doesn't affect them directly. It's kinda spooky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:54 pm 

Best: (my friends comment) Megaminx, wow, it even sounds beastly.

Worst: "Get a life man!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:58 pm 

Best: I met my first girlfriend.

Worst: I met my first girlfriend.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:28 am 

Best
- While I was solving a cube with gold/gray color scheme on a tram a guy asked "Is that some sort of professional cube?"
- While I was solving a cube at poker the other players tended to fold more despite my bluffs
- When people are apathetic or seemingly oblivious to me solving the cube in public (I generally solve it to pass the time or improve, not to show off)

Worst
- While waiting for my plane at an airport and solving a cube a guy said to his daughter (or mistress) "I hope he's not sitting near us, he'll be 'click click clicking' away".
- While I was solving a cube on a tram someone said "You must be popular with the ladies" to which I replied "My girlfriend hates Rubik's Cubes" and then the conversation awkwardly stopped.
- "I used to peel the stickers off" (just tedious)
- "I can only solve one side" (just tedious)

---

For the most part people tend to ignore the fact that you're solving a Rubik's Cube. There might be one or two people that can't suppress surprisement on their face but people that do talk to you about it are either really friendly or arrogant. Such is life :-P

Tim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:01 am 

chris_joe wrote:

So you use OOLL? :shock:
And for 3-cycle BLD, you'd use , POE, POC, OOC, and OOE? :wink:
Let's add SOC (this could have, like, 4 meanings?) and SOF2L and SOLL...
And how about: COC and COE and OOC and AOC and ROCC and AOT and FOM...

Basically, I'm just noting that alll these alternate names are very confusing if everyone promotes his/her alternate acronym (you really don't need to use "O" for "of' when it's used universally for "orientation")... 8-)
We already have enough trouble deciding what COLL is... :roll: (I'm now starting to call the 7-alg set "OCLL" because everybody is learning algs and associating the acronym with the other, larger set now...).

Oh, and http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8049
People can't even scroll to page 2 of the forum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:12 pm 

My bio teacher calls me Rubik because I was playing with my Chaos in class.

This one kid nearly gave me a heart attack after he grabbed my CC1 out of my hand and tried to twist it against the turn restriction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:09 pm 

A couple bests:
I once brought my Rubik's cube to school. I solved it, and everyone was in awe. Even though it took me around 1:30, they thought it was awesome. I actually started a craze. Everyone in my Gifted Education class is buying there own now.

I brought a custom Octagonal Prism, missing stickers and everything, but people now think I'm an insanely smart kid.

A kid in my class asked me if I knew what a torus was for their geometry class. I told her what it was and she asked me if I was sure. Then, my friend Adam said "You're asking the kid that can solve a Rubik's Cube in 40 seconds."

Worst
Just like Toquinha, I was accused of cheating by looking up the solution on the internet. Later, however, they didn't hold that against me when they tried to solve it. They made me teach them how. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:29 am 

My best reaction was from a little kid (probably around 10 maybe younger) with his family on a subway ride home.

The kid was looking at me solve the 5x5x5. After I solved it I had looked up, not realizing they were there the whole time. The little kid asked if he could see it. I handed it to him, but the father was so scared that he would mix it up! lol I said feel free to. ;) But the kid didn't. He was so amazed he said to me "I only see it this way when it's brand new in a store!".

His expression was priceless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:55 pm 

Speedy McFastfast wrote:
Worst- The cube seems to attract the attention of upper classmen a lot, and for a week or so my new name was "Rubik's."

People still call me "Ruby", but now it's only people who don't know my name.

And I just remembered another one:
I had just made a Siamese cube and was showing it my friend before class started. Several other people in the class gathered around to look at it. I heard at least one, "Why are you so amazing at life?", among other similar comments. [/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:33 am 

Lucas Garron wrote:
chris_joe wrote:

So you use OOLL? :shock:
And for 3-cycle BLD, you'd use , POE, POC, OOC, and OOE? :wink:
Let's add SOC (this could have, like, 4 meanings?) and SOF2L and SOLL...
And how about: COC and COE and OOC and AOC and ROCC and AOT and FOM...

Basically, I'm just noting that alll these alternate names are very confusing if everyone promotes his/her alternate acronym (you really don't need to use "O" for "of' when it's used universally for "orientation")... 8-)
We already have enough trouble deciding what COLL is... :roll: (I'm now starting to call the 7-alg set "OCLL" because everybody is learning algs and associating the acronym with the other, larger set now...).

Sorry, I thought that was the right one cause Macky taught me personally and wrote POLL for last layer's solution name when he wrote me a solution on paper. If macky does it, I'm right behind him :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:42 pm 

This isn't a reaction, but another thing I notice when I'm solving my 4x4 instead of my 3x3, is that people don't notice a difference between the two until they hold it. One time this ignorant and generally oblivous college student asked me if he show his friends me and my cube and when I was just finishing up on my edge pairs, he was like, "What's taking you so long?" It had only been a minute. Then after I was done I let him hold it and he said, "Holy crap! What happened to this cube?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:29 pm 

My best was on the citybus heading to class about 3 years ago.
I was solving a 5x5x5 and some people asked me about it. I was cool with that. I continued talking and completed the solve.
As the bus stopped to let some people off, a guy walked up from the back and handed me $2 saying, "That's one of the coolest things I've seen".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:45 pm 

Here's the previous thread on this:

http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4460

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:55 pm 

BEST:

WOAH HE IS A GENIUS HOW DID HE SOLVE THAT, a group of people around me swarmed and started to watch. This is when i just learned how to solve it. and i got a 2 min solve and they were astonished when i was just practicing.

WORST:

Some Guy in my class took my diy out of my hands ands turned it where the U was overlapping the R in a 45 degree angle and he pushed it really hard and it snapped everywhere and all the hair got on the vaseline and i spent half the class finding pieces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:40 pm 

no reactions

http://www.cube4you.com
http://www.omega.url.tw/onlineshop
http://www.edsthinkshop.com/twisty/rubiksforsale.html
http://www.rubikshop.com
http://www.rubikskorea.com
http://sites.webec.com.hk/meffert

Last edited by Rubo d Cubik on Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:43 pm 

Best: I was solving the standard rubik's cube and gathered a crowd of about 20 ppl all saying i was a genius and other compliments.

Worst: being called a loser and being accused of rigging the cube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:39 pm 

Best:

I was at a strip club and forgot that my cube was in my jacket pocket. I pulled it out and set it on the table. The stripper who was sociallizing with us picked it up and started messing it up. After I solved it the first time about three or four strippers and the waitress gave me compliments on it. One of them held it between her breasts for a bit too. :D

Worst:

A long time ago, (am i really 22 now...), i was on my way to class and a senior grabbed the cube and hucked it off a balcony. My cube shattered and the corner it must have landed on cracked in three.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:42 pm 

Best:
At a summer camp a couple years ago a crowd of 15 or so people gathered
around me and watched me do a 2 min solve. :lol:

Worst:
This one kid who went to my old school took my square-1 and threw it across
the room. Good thing it didn't break.

My favorite animal is the Pfargtl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:29 pm 

I have a cube demo tomorrow at college, I will let you guys know how it goes.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:04 pm 

Best: Lots of times people look at me like I'm some kind of god just for being able to solve the cube. It's happened on flights, trains, the metro - all kinds of places. One little kids eyes almost popped out of his head when I pulled a megaminx out and solved it). I remember when I first learned to solve the 3x3 and 4x4 and did them in front of some friends. They have never looked as impressed at anything else I've ever done (and I'm good at loads of stuff :wink: ).

Worst: People saying I'm obsessed (even though I am, I don't like hearing it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:37 pm 

One reaction I'm so tired of is a good friend of mine saying how antisocial I am when I solve my cube. I'm thinking that perhaps it's just her being mad at me since I'm homeschooled, combined with my ability to solve the cube and her lack thereof, it just gets old really fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:47 pm 

cubedrummer67 wrote:
One reaction I'm so tired of is a good friend of mine saying how antisocial I am when I solve my cube. I'm thinking that perhaps it's just her being mad at me since I'm homeschooled, combined with my ability to solve the cube and her lack thereof, it just gets old really fast.

lol I get that from all of my friends. "You just have no life" "Go outside for once"

It really is annoying. I also get "It's because you're Asian." Idiots.

A better one is that the more popular kids thought it was cool that I could solve it, and everyone thinks I am really fast, which I am not!

4x4x4 . . . PB: 1:11.32 Avg: 1:27
5x5x5 . . . PB: 2:26.47 Avg: 2:36.04
Pyraminx . PB: 4.18 Avg: 8.43

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:52 pm 

Pembo wrote:

The teacher scrambling popped it, so I had to fix it, and managed to give myself parity, so I had to swap a piece over at OLL, the obvious "cheat" shouts came out.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:56 pm 

Siraj A. wrote:
lol I get that from all of my friends. "You just have no life" "Go outside for once"

It really is annoying. I also get "It's because you're Asian." Idiots.

A better one is that the more popular kids thought it was cool that I could solve it, and everyone thinks I am really fast, which I am not!

Yeah. I'm white, but the asian-cuber stereotype is very annoying. The only really rude reactions I get are from youtube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:14 pm 

I happen to be mexican, and get the asian thing ._.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:25 pm 
I'm white and I get the asian thing. Mainly sarcastic, but I've been labeled as one of the Asian kids in my school by alot of people

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:02 am 

Ethan Rosen wrote:
I'm white and I get the asian thing. Mainly sarcastic, but I've been labeled as one of the Asian kids in my school by alot of people

So have I.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:57 am 

Pembo wrote:
Pembo wrote:

The teacher scrambling popped it, so I had to fix it, and managed to give myself parity, so I had to swap a piece over at OLL, the obvious "cheat" shouts came out.

wow that must suck... shuda told her to re scramble