Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Moderator Notice - PLEASE READ!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:04 am 

(This topic is now unstickied due to reasons that caused it to be written have been resolved)

Hi Guys,

Could I ask everyone to please review the rules, especially new members: http://twistypuzzles.com/forumrules.shtml

This community is largely as great as it has been since it started eight years ago. The majority of users here are over thirty years old, enjoying a hobby that has started since the hey day.

And in recent times, we now enjoy a surge of new young members since the cube has become quite popular again with many new competitions and general awareness of the cube and other twisty puzzles.

Unfortunately, amongst these new members, there is a small number that believe they have the right to say whatever they like and behave in whatever manner they choose. I will state up front - that on twistypuzzles.com, you do not have that right! I will not argue this point. If you are one who demands their rights, and that of freedom of speech, there are many other fine sites you can visit instead of this one.

But you do have the right to a relaxed environment to enjoy your twisty puzzling hobby with a bunch of friendly people and make some new mates.

It appears in the last two years that there has been an increase in bad attitude toward other members, not something that has been common here before. Again, only by a very small minority, but like in all communities... the rudest, and the most arrogant are often the loudest and easily create the perception that things are falling apart.

This activity has had the unfortunate effect of turning off a lot of our previous and dear long term members. A very sad fact and I do hope that our old friends will come back to visit us again.

In order to deal with this situation, there is going to be a change in the level of grace that I have previously extended toward certain members on this board.

I have previously given certain activity and conversations the benefit of the doubt. Yet bad manners and behaviour continues to increase monthly.

I ask that all members, and especially newer members pay particular close attention to the following:

1) Any deliberate attempt to break a rule listed above will result in dis-activation of the members account - no warning will be given.

2) Any hassling of any member for whatever reason, contempt, or rudeness will result in dis-activation of the members account - no warning will be given.

These measures are harsh, but in order to quickly clean up this situation for the benefit of our friends here, they need to be harsh. Many members have been hoping for tighter moderation. This is how it will be put into effect.

That's it, thanks for reading. And thanks for being part of our community. Lets keep asking those questions, even the dumb ones, and keep helping each other out. And of course, have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:24 pm 

Thanks Wayne!!

Hey, would it be possible to make this a sticky or something where it can be easily seen and read?

I know I participated in some of those conversations, I apologize if I crossed any lines. But I'm just trying to be diplomatic and trying to keep the peace. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:00 pm 

Will there also more any enforcement for things that aren't in the rules? Yes, the newbies coming in and swearing up a storm are annoying, but the newbie who bumps a bunch of old threads with no new information, posts in a manner as to raise their post count, makes no effort to make quality posts, etc. also hurts the forum. While those are gray areas where it's difficult to give an outright ban, can the moderators at least give some direction?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:14 pm 

Woot the smackdown is getting layeth!

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:46 pm 

reeeech wrote:
Thanks Wayne!!

Hey, would it be possible to make this a sticky or something where it can be easily seen and read? But I'm just trying to be diplomatic and trying to keep the peace. ;)

I agree with you 100%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:59 pm 

I'll see if Sandy can sticky it. Yes there are some grey areas such as replying to old threads. However the reaction to that action will be my focus. But I will see what I can do in that area.

Appreciate your enthusiasm, Pembo, but my actual aim is not to punish but just to improve the community spirit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:25 pm 

I am just trying to make the situation a bit lighter, my bad.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:35 pm 

I am sure things will quickly return to normal as soon as Sandy appoints some new moderators.Not that they will need to act much, but I think the constant presence of a mod will help calm things down. I am not saying Sandy and sausage are doing it wrong now, but I am aware they have better things to do in the real world and can't be on here all day every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:44 pm 

ferrari wrote:
I think it's great that we will finally have some more enforcements on rules. It gets very annoying when people flame and talk a bunch of trash.
However, I think I can work on only posting more productive messages with correct grammar and spelling.

Me as well. And Pembo you're right. They're doing a great job!

4x4x4 . . . PB: 1:11.32 Avg: 1:27
5x5x5 . . . PB: 2:26.47 Avg: 2:36.04
Pyraminx . PB: 4.18 Avg: 8.43

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:50 pm 

sirajali05 wrote:
ferrari wrote:
I think it's great that we will finally have some more enforcements on rules. It gets very annoying when people flame and talk a bunch of trash.
However, I think I can work on only posting more productive messages with correct grammar and spelling.

Me as well. And Pembo you're right. They're doing a great job!

Add my name to this list. I really enjoy this hobby, but I have horrible grammar, and somtimes go way over the top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:24 am 

sausage wrote:
I'll see if Sandy can sticky it. Yes there are some grey areas such as replying to old threads. However the reaction to that action will be my focus. But I will see what I can do in that area.

Appreciate your enthusiasm, Pembo, but my actual aim is not to punish but just to improve the community spirit.

In my opinion it would be a good idea to create a sticky, locked topic with only your first message Wayne. Threads tend to become unreadable also because of people replying when in fact no reply is needed/wanted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:21 am 

Wayne, thanks for this.

I also promise that next time I will PM you directly regarding any other incident without placing anything in public.
(Actually, I was quite happy with my reaction, because a few years ago, I was so temperamental, I would answer back with more name-calling, which of course, was *not* the logic way to resolve matters)

It won't be easy to control those "gray areas" (such as unecessary chit-chats), but I wish you good luck with this.

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:52 am 

WELL DONE WAYNE!!!!! 100 % AGREEMENT WITH YOU!!! :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]