Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Astrolabacus experience....
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:10 am 

So... has anyone received any of their the astrolabaci (plural of astrolabacus LOL) that were ordered last month?

I was just interested in your opinion regarding this ingenius puzzle. I know I am bit biased on promoting it, because it is no secret that I regard it as the most enjoyable puzzle (in solving and feel terms) of my entire collection! :)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:30 am 

I got mine ... rather long ago. I got it out of the packaging, played with it for some minutes, put it back into its packaging and stored it away in the box with the puzzles that look cute, but that don't appeal to me to play with them :oops: :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:52 am 

georges wrote:
I got mine ... rather long ago. I got it out of the packaging, played with it for some minutes, put it back into its packaging and stored it away in the box

Me too, but not for the same reason as you...

I did like it very much, but as I played with it I realised how complex the puzzle really is, and felt that I wanted to store it in solved position until I had time to solve it without help...
Actually I mixed it up so much I couldn't solve it, and put its state in Jaaps jawa astrolabacus and had it solve it for me (I consider that as disassembling it, since that doesn't help me solve it, jst reseting it...)

Thanks for the advice to accuire one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:44 am 

hmmm... I guess if the astrolabacus was better marketed and available with a better price, more people would own one, there would have been new techniques solving it (e.g. the squid method, the octopus method, or even the pearl method), and would be having many competitions around the world.

Had it been a little bit more popular (even 1/1,000,000 compared to the popularity of the 3x3x3 cube), I am pretty sure things would be much different and there would be a lot of motivation to solve it...

It just has so much potential, but right now it is so expensive and/or rare to find, that the above scenario is highly unlikely...

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:43 am 

when were these ordered? I never saw the post, and would love to get one of these beasts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:01 pm 

Derek Bosch wrote:
when were these ordered? I never saw the post, and would love to get one of these beasts...
Same here.

Also how much did it cost?

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:01 pm 

Derek Bosch wrote:

They used to be sold at the puzzle shop in Germany and on ebay. Now it seems they can only be found on ebay. (just search using it as a keyword, it is available with a "Buy it now" option).
I just wish it was cheaper...

Pantazis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:07 pm 

viewtopic.php?t=5108&start=100

kastellorizo wrote:
trust me on this... it is an amazing and solid puzzle, and definitely worth its value!!!

Please let us know of your opinion too when it arrives! :)
Pantazis

reeeech wrote:
just got it in the mail. wow, this is an odd looking puzzle :P dunno if it's brand spanking new or what.... but it feels a bit used, not in a bad way though. like it feels really smooth and easy to twist. balls are easy to slide through enough. Haven't mixed it up yet. (currently at work). but this looks like a huge time killer :P

i really like the ergonomic feel to it. just how it rotates when twisting the mechanism. i have a feeling that it's going to be really fun, as long as i don't get too frustrated with it :P (I have never played with a puzzle like this before :oops: , despite all the rubik types like this)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:59 pm 

All this talk about them makes me want one really bad. How much do they usually go for?

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:04 pm 

xcool wrote:
All this talk about them makes me want one really bad. How much do they usually go for?

Around $63 or so, John Redvers Rooney sells them on ebay, buy it now style.

There was a link around here somewhere but I think you could find it with a search on ebay. If not , try back in a week.

Good luck, it really is a wacky puzzle. It moves like a half cooked doughnut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:20 pm 

skeneegee wrote:
xcool wrote:

Around $63 or so, John Redvers Rooney sells them on ebay, buy it now style.

There was a link around here somewhere but I think you could find it with a search on ebay. If not , try back in a week.

Good luck, it really is a wacky puzzle. It moves like a half cooked doughnut.
I'll check it later. My school has blocked ebay along with almost every site on the internet.

25, Male