Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New 'old' puzzle
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:24 pm 

I have recently obtained a twisty puzzle that was entirely new to me, but which exists already for several years. Actually it appears to have been patented in 1994 and produced in 1998.

The name of the puzzle is COSMOS puzzle.
Basically it is a 2*2*2 ball with blue background and the globe painted in silver colour onto this (so, a bit similar to the ‘octo-ball’). Furthermore, it has logo’s of the France 1998 soccer world championships and was made in ..... Korea!!
Apparently it was produced in Korea in 1998 or so in anticipation of the world soccer championships in Korea (and Japan) in 2002. There is also a small logo “2002 world cup Korea”, but without mentioning Japan (!), referring to these 2002 soccer championships.

What is furthermore special to the puzzle is that at the 6 intersections there are small circular parts which can be turned separately. This appears to be similar to what was once announced for the K-balls (but which I have actually never seen in real puzzles). In order to move the smaller circular parts at the intersections, there is a piece that ‘sits’ at the oustide of the puzzle. Four ‘mini-knobs’ underneath this piece fit into the circular parts allowing these to be rotated. In order to move around the puzzle there is a fifth knob or ’tongue’ attached (underneath) this outside piece that allows the piece via channels to move around the puzzle.

To be homest, I have not seen the puzzle nor the concept of the puzzle before.
In the meantime, I have learned that there are 2 different versions; a blue version and a green version. I only have one sample of the blue type.

Attachments:
Cosmos3.JPG
Cosmos3.JPG [ 150.04 KiB | Viewed 1026 times ]
Cosmos2.JPG
Cosmos2.JPG [ 142.67 KiB | Viewed 943 times ]
Cosmos1.JPG
Cosmos1.JPG [ 149.45 KiB | Viewed 936 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:43 pm 

Wow - that is a very interesting puzzle you have there!

Would you please post a couple pictures of it in mid-twist? I'm having a really hard time wrapping my mind around how this thing moves with the extra piece on the outside.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:23 pm 

Geert. any word on where I could find one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:03 am 

Beautiful! And it combines my two passions (football + puzzles)

From a mathematical point of view, it is much more complex than a normal 2x2x2, and if there are more, I would definitely be interested in one of those! :)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:32 pm 

Unfortunately, I have only one sample and I know no other source for this puzzle.

The movement of the outer piece can best be explained with the second picture. The outer piece clicks into the 4 red quarter circle parts and can then be turned. A 90 degrees shift of the upper half of the puzzle + a 30 degree ('partial') turn of the right hand 'circle' (after which the outer piece was removed) can be seen in picture 4.

Attachments:
Cosmos4.JPG
Cosmos4.JPG [ 527.27 KiB | Viewed 872 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:29 am 

A small update on the so-called Cosmos puzzle.
As mentioned before, the 4 quarter circle parts (in different colours at 6 positions at the ‘globe’) can be turned.
However, it turns out that these can only be turned when the 4 circle parts are of the same colour (so, not in the mixed state). Initially, I just considered my sample to be too stiff for turning the quarter parts in a mixed state, but I have now seen a second sample for which the same applies.

Apparently, it is only intended to move the part that sits at the outside from the red circle parts at ‘France’ (where the World Soccer Championships were held in 1998), via the channels and (respectively) the black, blue, green and white circles to the end position yellow. The yellow position corresponds at the ‘globe’ to Korea/Japan where the championships were held in 2002. Each time arriving at a new colour, the 4 circle parts have to be rotated, using the outer piece, to allow the outer piece to move to the next channel and next colour position.
Hence, the outer piece can only make the full journey when the puzzle is in the solved state. The rest of the puzzle can still be used as a normal 222 puzzle, but the fact that the circle parts cannot be rotated in mixed states is a pity.

Still, I believe that it is a very nice puzzle that was invented in South Korea by Lee Jong Ho.

Geert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:57 am 

Oh, so you could either use it as a 2x2x2 or as a puzzle where you have to get the extra piece from one location to another?

Very interesting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:08 am 

Wow!
That is amaxing!
I love this puzzle!
Sob, sob. :cry:
Vadim