Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cube comparisons
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:11 am 

Everyone please look at these pictures, there are some really rare cubes in them.

I have been collecting for over 2 years now. i think from an early start i always wanted a blindmans cube. i know all i had to do is make one with different things on each side but i really wanted a real one. a few weeks ago i won one on ebay a real Blindmas Cube! previous to this i also acquire a braile cube from a fellow that lives near me and was big into rubiks cube back in the day. so here are some pictures of these cubes vs. similar cubes.

Picture of them all

1. (from top to bottom and then left to right) Rubiks Deluxe, Good Fake Deluxe, Normal 1980's style Rubik's Cube, Current 25th Anniversary Rubik's Cube, Braile Cube, Blindmans Cube

Deluxe Comparision

2.This is a picture of a real Deluxe Cube vs. a Good Fake Deluxe. Notice that the cubies look almost identical. Solid all the way through the corners and opening on the side of the edge vs. a normal cube. The real one has arched center pieces vs. flat centers on the fake. The real one has the old color scheme vs. the fake one has the current color scheme. The overall color of them is very noticable, the real one has vibrant colors and the fake one has very dull colors. The real one has a stamp of Rubik's Cube and the fake one has nothing.

Regular Cube Comparision

3.Here is a picture of a 1980's cube vs. a newer 25th annaiversary cube. the old one has flat center vs. the new one has arched centers. the edge pieces appear to be the same. the corners on my old cube have no caps on the corners vs. the newer cubes do have caps. the newer cubes also have a serial number vs. the older cubes do not. This cube is stamped with the serial number M0105B. I believe that it stands for the birth date or production date 0105 is Jan 2005 the MB i believe stands for Milton Bradley. and of course the logo has changed.

Blindmans vs. Braile Cube Comparision

4.Both of these cubes look to be a normal rubiks cube form the early 1980's. Both have flat centers. both have normal edge pieces and both have caps on the corner pieces. The Braile cube, which is an Arxon, has the current color scheme vs. the Blindmans cube has the current color scheme but the blue and green are switched. the only difference is the parts where you feel to solve the cube. its obvious to see the difference there.

Blindmans cube vs. Deluxe

5. I thought that the blindmans cube was going to be a deluxe cube but with textured tiles, but i was wrong. the blindmans cube is a normal cube with tiles on the face instead of stickers vs. a deluxe has a hole where the tile lays into the cubie a bit. the color scheme for the deluxe is the old color scheme vs. the blindmans cube is the newer color scheme with the blue and green switched. the deluxe has arched centers vs. the blindmans is flat. the edges on the deluxe are almost solid vs. the blindmans are normal.

I did a test to see which one of the cube is best to blind fold on. these times were done on a stackmat. here are the results:

Blindmans Cube: 3:40:62
Braile Cube: 2:55:13
Deluxe Cube (done by memorizing the cube and then proceeding to blindfold it (YES I CAN BLINDFOLD, see speedcubing.com if you dont believe me)) 5:10:02

Overall. I LOVE ALL OF MY CUBES!!! I like the blindmans cube the best even though it was a slower time. I like to memorize a regular cube and then solve it for people, that is fun as well. I dont really like the feel or the look of the Braile cube but its still a collectable.

I would like to hear some of everyones comments on what they think of the comparisions.

Thank you and i hope i didnt write too much. now onto the pictures.
[/u][/b]

Attachments:
Comparison cube 001.jpg
Comparison cube 001.jpg [ 479.78 KiB | Viewed 1061 times ]
Comparison cube 002.jpg
Comparison cube 002.jpg [ 501.92 KiB | Viewed 1035 times ]
Comparison cube 006.jpg
Comparison cube 006.jpg [ 522.33 KiB | Viewed 1005 times ]
Comparison cube 010.jpg
Comparison cube 010.jpg [ 535.86 KiB | Viewed 995 times ]
Comparison cube 011.jpg
Comparison cube 011.jpg [ 545.91 KiB | Viewed 999 times ]

Post subject: Re: Cube comparisons
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:15 am 

Nice post Adam. Thanks for the detailed photos. I had never seen a fake deluxe before.

Adam Zamora wrote:
the newer cubes also have a serial number vs. the older cubes do not. This cube is stamped with the serial number M0105B. I believe that it stands for the birth date or production date 0105 is Jan 2005 the MB i believe stands for Milton Bradley.

Regarding the serial number, these began appearing after Hasbro bought OddzOn and began their own manufacturing of the cube. You're right about the date stamp, but the "B" stands for a type B cube (arched centers). The old ones with flat centers had an "A" at the end of the number, so they were type A cubes. I think the "M" just stands for manufactured.

Chris

Post subject: comparisons
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:30 pm 

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the comparisons. I wondered whether the Blindman's Cube was a version of the Deluxe or not.

I think the fake Deluxe is a Gyro cube (which, unfortunately, is misspelled in it's presentation here). The plastic seems to be the same, except for the tiles, which seem to be structurally the same as the Deluxe, and sitting in a trough in the cubie. I haven't taken mine apart but the telltales are there.
Gyro Cube:
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pid=137

There were many styles of early Rubik's cubes. Some came with corner caps.
All of the very first ones had caps, like this one:
http://www.speedcubing.com/ton/pages/Ru ... ermany.htm
Some came with arches, like this one:
http://www.speedcubing.com/ton/pages/Ru ... on1980.htm
I've one with both arches and caps from 1980: attached photo.

With the exception of Ruibk's Studio cubes, all of the present day genuine cubes have arches and are made by the same company (Seven Towns) in China. The cubes from Hasbro, Milton Bradley and Winning Moves are all the same.

Regards,

David J

Attachments:
File comment: 1980 Ideal Rubik's cube with arched centers and capped corners.
RubikIdealArchedCenter1980.jpg
RubikIdealArchedCenter1980.jpg [ 495.96 KiB | Viewed 1001 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:37 pm 

cuberoot wrote:
"Manufactured" just seems a bit mundane for me. Surely, if they're going to choose to introduce an element into their coding scheme, it will carry with it some sort of meaningful information that is unique to that particular cube.

Yes, I agree. But every cube I've seen has "M" as the first letter of the code. So I can't figure out what else it would mean. It could stand for "Malaysia" I suppose. But that would only make sense if we saw other letters for different countries, too.

Anyone have a cube code with a different starting letter?

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:06 pm 

Adam Zamora wrote:
the newer cubes also have a serial number vs. the older cubes do not.

I have two of the newer cubes, neither of which has a serial number.

David J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:44 pm 

Somebody posted before about the new 3x3x3 molds for 2006. There was no serial # and the arched center was like one piece, I mean it didn't look like the arches were retrofitted to non arched mold.

Did I see that here somewhere?

Anyway I haven't found one yet, just left over 25th cubes in all the stores here still.

DavidJ are the arches in your new cubes different than the 25th arches?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:33 pm 

skeneegee wrote:
Somebody posted before about the new 3x3x3 molds for 2006. There was no serial # and the arched center was like one piece, I mean it didn't look like the arches were retrofitted to non arched mold.

Anyway I haven't found one yet, just left over 25th cubes in all the stores here still.

Yeah I posted about that. The black and white are identical now, except the white have serial numbers and the black don't. The serial is M1005B.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:49 pm 

skeneegee wrote:

Hi Skeneegee,

By "newer" cubes I mean cubes from the regular run of arched production cubes which began two years ago. The two I have were from the original "new" tooling.

I don't have a 25th Anniversary edition to compare them to, but I do have the new DIYs.

Like Pelley says, the arched center cubies of both the black and white DIY are all one piece. The outside line of these arches run straight to the top of the cubie. The arches of the production run not only look "added on," like you said, but the outside of the arch is beveled, so that line to the top of the cubie isn't straight. This is why they catch less than the DIY's do.

Cheers,

David J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:58 pm 

Here's some photos I posted on the Yahoo group last month.

Centers:

Attachments:
diy2006centers.jpg
diy2006centers.jpg [ 54.08 KiB | Viewed 962 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:59 pm 

Various pieces, including new center caps:

Attachments:
diy2006.jpg
diy2006.jpg [ 37.95 KiB | Viewed 3290 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:00 pm 

Corner closeup (note gap between cap and foot):

Attachments:
DIY2006corner.jpg
DIY2006corner.jpg [ 43.17 KiB | Viewed 992 times ]

Post subject: serial numbers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:39 am 

Hi Chris,

pelley wrote:
[snip] The black and white are identical now, except the white have serial numbers and the black don't. The serial is M1005B.

Chris

Each of my new black DIYs has M0105B on one corner, and there's no gap between the foot and the cap.

DJ

Post subject: Re: serial numbers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:45 am 

David J wrote:
Each of my new black DIYs has M0105B on one corner, and there's no gap between the foot and the cap.

Interesting. When did you order them? Maybe they're filling orders with some old stock parts. That would stink.

I've seen six that were ordered starting in late January (not all mine) and none of them had any coded corners (and they all had the gap, etc.) What about the other parts (center caps, for example?)

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:25 pm 

Hi Chris,

pelley wrote:
David J wrote:

Interesting. When did you order them? Maybe they're filling orders with some old stock parts. That would stink.

I've seen six that were ordered starting in late January (not all mine) and none of them had any coded corners (and they all had the gap, etc.) What about the other parts (center caps, for example?)

Chris

The DIY's I'm talking about were from March and September 2005.
The center caps are different from the one in your picture, and different from the white center caps, the two prongs being across from one another.

I didn't know they were changed recently.

David J

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:51 pm 

David J wrote:
The DIY's I'm talking about were from March and September 2005.

Okay that makes sense. Yeah, you should nab one of the new ones. The new parts result in a noticably different (and improved) feel.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:46 pm 

hrm... im dissapointed then... I ordered my DIY on Febuary 2006 and I still recived the cubes with the barcode written on it....:(

I guess they were filing orders with old stock parts... :(

But I did recieve were new caps.

Attachments:
IMGP1339.jpg
IMGP1339.jpg [ 120.32 KiB | Viewed 981 times ]
IMGP1340.jpg
IMGP1340.jpg [ 111.54 KiB | Viewed 966 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:24 pm 

Actually that looks like an M1005B cube, which seem identical to the new ones. It's not clear to me why some have the code and others don't. I read in another post that they had some quality control problems last year. So evidently they switched to a different supplier? Who knows. As long as you have the corners without that annoying tab, and the smooth centers, it will make a nice even-turning cube.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:38 pm 

Last week i bought a 25th cube with silver stickers from Target. it has 2 corner cubes that have stamps. one reads M0905B and another corner cube has M0605B. all of the corner cubies have that little gap. whats wierd is that 5 of the centers have the old arch (looks extended) and only 1 is flat all the way down. like i said Wierd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:41 pm 

one more thing this cube turns AWESOME! one of the best cubes i have

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:49 pm 

yeah but it does need a little bit of breaking in...My first 25th moved horribly for 2 weeks
after about 15 sore wrists i lubed it and now it is moving as fast or even faster than my diy! and the 25th doesnt pop as often as my diy i think my tension is way too low

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:15 am 

Adam Zamora wrote:
Last week i bought a 25th cube with silver stickers from Target. it has 2 corner cubes that have stamps. one reads M0905B and another corner cube has M0605B.

Wow, a store-bought frankencube! Never seen an 0905 stamp before. You know, I think that corner gap was always there, but they would always stuff it with that tab on the old pieces. I wonder what the purpose of that tab was? I always assumed it was to weld the cap on to the piece permanently. In any case, it operates much better without it.

Chris