Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Meffert's and the fate of puzzling (Dogic)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:15 pm 

As I'm sure many of you have received an email from Uwe concerning the pre-orders for the Jackpot puzzles and others like the Dogic. I feel really bad for Uwe loosing so much money from people running up the pre-order numbers and then only ordering a small ammount of what they "pre-ordered" or shall I say "pre-registered".

I know that there are many who want to get their hands on some of the more rare puzzles and maybe against better judgement clicked off 10 pre-orders to help assure the manufacture of a puzzle and then only bought one... Let us remember that there are hundreds of thousands of dollars involved in the production of molds to make the pieces. Uwe has given so much to the puzzling community over the years and I sure hope this dosen't have a negative impact on his business...

I hold my breath in hopes that the Dogic (although I do own the orig) does not become extinct because of this... I would love for new puzzlers to have the opportunity to play with this incredible puzzle...

Please consider your actions, the outcome could be devestating for many...

_pink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:51 pm 

It is terrible that it happened to Uwe. I just hope that many people who pre-odered puzzles are still on holidays or something and did not have a chance to get round to do it yet.
I also think that Uwe should comeback to those people who did not fulfill their promise and remind them of the number of puzzles they actually ordered. Uwe must have the record of the numbers against each email address. It is certainly his right to at least remind those customers of their promises.
I hope he does that! It would be a real shame if it puts him off the future puzzle production.
Vadim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:34 pm 

Are the Dogics available? I can't find them on the site. I told him I'd order 1 and by gum I'm gonna as soon as I can!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:30 am 

One reason I can think of is that we were asked to preorder without having seen pictures, just Uwe's written opinion "this will be the greatest puzzle ever" (or similar). I did preorder two based on this and did order two today. But I could imagine others being a bit disappointed by the small difficulty of the puzzle once they saw the pictures.

I think this is completely different for Dogic, Dogic 2 and the tiled Megaminx, since we know what we're ordering there. So I believe the preordering numbers for these will be much closer to the actual ordering numbers later.

Cheers!
Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:56 am 

I preodered only one, thinking that if I like it, I would buy more, but I was actually disappointed by it's size. It's so huge!
If it compared in size to the Rubik's cube, it would have looked cute. Plus I haven't got that much space in my ever-growing collection.
I know that for some puzzles (like Dogic) it's impossible to reduce the size, but this one :? .
Oh well..
Vadim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:12 am 

I had placed a pre-order of one of each, but have yet to have bought them,
since I was going to buy them all at the same time (Dogic, Dogic II),
The size matter has come up a coupe of time, can anyone post a picture
of a Jackpot Puzzle beside a Rubik cube.

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:36 am 

I think, I pre-ordered two and placed an order for two. I can't remember how many letters asking to prerder them I received, but there was more than one. So, it is possible, some people repeated their preorder just reacting to the additional message.
From the customers position I can help Uwe only ordering another pair. It wouldn't be a big financial stress for me. I can treat it as investment :). From the other hand, sometimes it is so difficult to find a good gift... May be somebody else can follow me? If every buyer will repeat his order, the other half of stock will dissapear.
As many others, I am waiting for my jackpots yet and it is the only reason of doubt. So, any comments from happy owners are in great demand.

Juozas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:58 pm 

I pre-ordered one of each and ordered one of each. They came within 10 days.
They are fun....my kids like them, but not difficult.
I look on them as an investment (signed).
Like everyone else here I'm looking forward to the Dogics!!
Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:57 pm 

Exactly how big is it? Can someone post a picture of it next to a regular cube? For bonus points, post a picture of it next to a regular cube and a Dogic.

Hopefully he doesn't have the same problem with the Dogic pre-orders. Maybe he can produce a nice Domino so we won't have to pay through the nose on E-bay for one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:09 am 

Well,
I just compared it to the Alexander's star and it was tiny bit bigger.
I am not sure about the Dogic as I don't have one. I guess Dogic will be bigger though.
I wonder if I order the unsigned version one, how easy would it be to make a modification with it? It is a nice concept for the mechanism, so I think I will give it a try.
I hope thet helps.
Vadim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:50 pm 

I believe that this mech has much potential for new mods. I'm very excited to have access to a "dual-mech" like this w/o having to chop one out of another pile of scrap pieces...

_pink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:27 pm 

as anyone every thought about what mods could be made from a dogic?
If you truncate all the corners and build up new corners between all the trunacations, I think this would make something like a higher order megaminx.

Post subject: Re: Meffert's and the fate of puzzling (Dogic)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 am 

_pink wrote:
As I'm sure many of you have received an email from Uwe concerning the pre-orders for the Jackpot puzzles and others like the Dogic. I feel really bad for Uwe loosing so much money from people running up the pre-order numbers and then only ordering a small ammount of what they "pre-ordered" or shall I say "pre-registered".

I will shamefully admit that up until a few moments ago, I was part of this problem. I continually delayed the purchase of these puzzles because of financial stress in the household. My wife and I started trying VERY HARD to save up for a mortgage downpayment. When accounting for every dollar spent, it's hard to explain a $100 payment for some more puzzles to throw onto my monutain.

However, I finally broke down and ordered a set today. (Thank you for extending your offer an extra week, Uwe!) The downpayment on the house will have to wait an extra paycheque... and I'm gonna have some splainin' to do when the wife sees the credit card bill. Oh well. She hasn't threatened with divorce yet!

Seriously though, I can't remember how many I "preordered" back then. I suspect it was one of each, but I may have done that twice. As Juozas pointed out, the duplicate letters asking for preorders were a little confusing. I was under the impression the second letter (sent after the SmartBall was rejected and removed from the page) was the start of a NEW count. I may have registered twice. I wonder if others did the same thing?

To be honest, I'm glad Uwe is planning to recount the Dogic preorders, "preferably via PayPal"... even though I predict this will result in a drastically reduced preorder count and the ultimate cancellation of the entire project. I have been really looking forward to being able to buy a reasonably priced Dogic, but there's no way I want Uwe to go bankrupt over it.

Sandy

Post subject: Re: Meffert's and the fate of puzzling (Dogic)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:36 pm 

Sandy wrote:
I will shamefully admit that up until a few moments ago, I was part of this problem. I continually delayed the purchase of these puzzles because of financial stress in the household. My wife and I started trying VERY HARD to save up for a mortgage downpayment. When accounting for every dollar spent, it's hard to explain a $100 payment for some more puzzles to throw onto my monutain.

You could always sell some of your duplicates. You'd probably have enough for a downpayment if you did them all :) Or, if you sold just enough to get the $100 back, your wife would appreciate the gesture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:25 pm 

yeah Sandy... I'll by a dino from you! :wink:

_pink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:20 am 

I think I'd better delete this thread just in case my wife is watching!!!

Seriously though, we hope to buy the house this summer. I told her if the ONLY THING stopping us from doing it is a shortage of downpayment money, I'll start selling my collection. I can't tell you how much I don't want it to come to that.

I've been wondering how much I can get for the car instead...!

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:07 am 

Got any kids? Maybe you could get a few bucks for them! :wink:

_pink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:10 pm 

_pink wrote:
Got any kids? Maybe you could get a few bucks for them!

Selling the family car was plan B!

Sandy