Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What size screws are DaYan "standard" ones?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:47 pm 

I've finally done it - I've taken the plunge and ordered some 3D-printed puzzles. :D

One of the puzzles was from David Pitcher and uses these screws. I'll need to go to a hardware store to get some screws for the other puzzles and it would be nice if I could find an equivalent screw for this puzzle at the same time. Does anyone know what size they are?

Post subject: Re: What size screws are DaYan "standard" ones?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:26 pm 

Jared wrote:
One of the puzzles was from David Pitcher and uses these screws. I'll need to go to a hardware store to get some screws for the other puzzles and it would be nice if I could find an equivalent screw for this puzzle at the same time. Does anyone know what size they are?

I just checked the description for all of his puzzle designs and whenever he doesn't mention M3 screws he links to http://www.hknowstore.com/locale/en-US/item.aspx?corpname=nowstore&itemid=36010da2-4203-4ed6-a641-4a027c0d2642

I have a bunch of those and they are 19mm M3 screws. The battery in my calipers is dead right now and replacement batteries haven't arrived yet so I've used a US Penny (19mm diameter) as a reference:
Attachment:
dayan_screws.png
dayan_screws.png [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 306 times ]

The steel screw on the right is a standard 20mm M3 screw.

I'm not a fan of the Dayan screws because the head on them is really big and they don't have threading along the whole shaft. If you are going to use different screws, 20mm M3 screws with a "Pan head" will do just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:59 pm 

Make sure to ask and check with David; the screws I needed to get for my shapeways puzzles of his were much shorter. He only linked to the hknowstore site for the springs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:42 pm 

Are springs really necessary for Shapeways puzzles? I know Oskar's don't use them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:00 pm 

Jared wrote:
Are springs really necessary for Shapeways puzzles? I know Oskar's don't use them.

They are never necessary. In some puzzle designs they can help.

Benefits of springs:
  • Allow more forgiving alignment
  • Enable much better "corner cutting"
  • Can lead to a nice "snappy" feel when pieces do catch
  • Can make assembly MUCH easier for certain designs

Drawbacks to springs:
  • They constantly apply a bit of force normal to the axis which causes more friction and forces turns to take more effort (this effect can be a significant drawback)
  • The puzzle must be designed to fit them
  • They really need flat washers (on both ends) or they can catch and dig into the WSF or bind with the screw
  • They can make it easy to pop pieces out (and depending on design, possibly accidentally)

When I wast testing the PAW, no washers allowed the turns to glide very smoothly but made the puzzle sensitive to alignment. I bought about 6 different spring designs and did a ton of testing and found it very hard to overcome the increased force (caused by spring tension) causing the turns to be harder. Eventually I found that if I cut one of the stiffer springs down to about 1/3rd length I could get the benefit of the spring without much drawback.