Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cubing Related Life Events!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:47 am 

So I'm on the bus, standing by the door playing with my Dayan Zhanchi.. As you do! :lol:. Then all of a sudden a gentlemen in, his late 40's I'd say, and he says to me "I'll give you 50 quid if you teach me how to do that!" So I giggle thinking he's joking.. But no, he then hands me his business card, and starts asking me a bunch of questions. This is the second cubing related life event that's happened to me :D Also the weirdest part of my life! So unexpected!! Anyone else had any encounters with puzzle muggles? :lol:

Post subject: Re: Cubing Related Life Events!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:16 pm 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
He really should have remembered how to do it from the first time they were around!!

I'm in my MID 40s and I could do it with my first cube in 1979! When I got my 3x3 again 2 years ago I still was able to do the first 2 layers and some of the top layer. Not bad for a 34 year gap! 8-)

Post subject: Re: Cubing Related Life Events!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:03 pm 

Puzzlemad wrote:
He really should have remembered how to do it from the first time they were around!!
You find very often the figure of 300 millions cubes sold by the early 80s. I'm not sure how many of them remained unsolved - or have been solved by screw driver, when people found out how to do it :lol: I guess most people at that time thought that there is a little trick and when they found out that there is no trick but some thinking required, they lost interest. And the hype was over :wink: The gentleman probably thought 50 quids for that trick is a bargain. :lol:
Puzzlemad wrote:
I'm in my MID 40s and I could do it with my first cube in 1979! When I got my 3x3 again 2 years ago I still was able to do the first 2 layers and some of the top layer. Not bad for a 34 year gap! 8-)
So you are no twisty newcomer after all :lol: This explains how you have come so far in a very short time. Where did you get it in 1979? I got mine from a colleague in Vienna with Hungarian roots. I think they were produced outside Hungary not earlier than 1980.
Jerry Slocum The Cube wrote:
It was now September 1979, and the Cube could occasionally be seen on Hungarian streets, trams and caf├ęs.
You were around 11 years old then. Wow! I was 33 and my oldest daughter was some months. As time goes by ...