Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chinese paper BUND publishing private data of myself?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:43 am 

Here - although I can't understand a word - I am under the impression that someone used information I gave him/her in a private mail to make this article.
Can any Chinese friend read through it and confirm.
The picture with Tony's cubes is from my online gallery.
Thank you

Post subject: Re: Chinese paper BUND publishing private data of myself?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:09 am 

After putting it through Google Translate (and reading between the lines a fair bit) it seems to be an interview with you about your interest in cubes and collecting.

Just type the page URL into the left hand side box here: Google Translate

Follow the link and the site will be (roughly) translated to the language of your choosing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:17 am 

Interviewing puzzle collector George Helm

"My final goal is to be a puzzle historical expert"

George Helm, a great collector who own more than 3600 puzzle. Collection include 1980 produced "Alexander Star", 3x3x3 barrel" Christopher 's Jewel" and stop production puzzle "Flora Star"(otischeng: Well, I'm not sure which puzzle is it....just translate from the chinese.....Would it be.....Dogic?)

Including those selling puzzle, George Helm, a 55 years old collector from Luxembourg, he got more than 3600 puzzles & 600+ puzzle books. He has a 30 years old daughter, almost as long as years George collecting puzzle. His son has a set of puzzle from 2x2x2 to 7x7x7, can solve them all by himself.

Despite, the son's collection is just too small compare to his father. George has a 9x9x9 cube in his collection, a 1980 produced "Alexander Star", 3x3x3 barrel" Christopher 's Jewel" and stop production puzzle "Flora Star". Other than these rare puzzles, he got some interesting puzzle such as "cheese cube", "Mickey head 2x2" and "UFO puzzle.

Gathering will be held among puzzle collectors. The most famous one is the "International Puzzle Party", held every 3 years in US. The last one is on 2008, George flew to Portugal to attend. In Luxembourg, Rubik's Cube is not a popular toy. So George organize some teaching classes about Rubik's Cube.

Many years ago, when the idea of collecting puzzle just been raised in the mind of George, He can't buy a Rubik's cube which is so expensive--at the time being, got to go to Germany to buy a Rubik's Cube. It let George very upset. Eventually at an Easter, his wife, just like preforming magic, gave him a Rubik's Cube. "A gift, but a KO one". Though George is now separate with his wife, but he keeps this cube. That is a orange color plastic 3x3x3 cube, with heart sticker of 6 different color. George bought something else which is similar, to prevent this cube from broken.

Q: When did you have the idea of collecting puzzle?
A: December of 1980. I was sleepy and attending a lecture about my job. Suddenly some noise come from my back. that's the sound of twisting a Rubik's Cube. At that time I didn't know what is a Rubik's Cube. Just boring, I searched the origin of the sound. Finally I saw a lady playing a colorful Rubik's Cube. At lunch time, I go ahead towards the lady. This was the first time I met Rubik's Cube. It's amazing. But I didn't know how actually amazing it is. And I forgot about it later. A year later, I saw some junior solution about Rubik's Cube from a German magazine. I realized this would be an interesting thing, So I want to try it my self.

Q: How fast can you solve a Rubik's Cube? Can you share the secret with us?
A: I'm not a speed solver. Usually it takes me 1 minute to solve a Rubik's Cube, while the world fastest record is around 6-7 seconds. I'm mainly a collector. Of course, I have solved almost all of the puzzles in my collection, except the Golden Cube from Tony Fisher. From 1982 to 1984, I published some books about solving puzzle. May be you can have a look. haha~

Q: Which puzzle do you like most?
A: All 3x3x3 cubes. May be it's because that's my first collection. Anyway, 3x3x3 is the best size, I can take it anywhere, I don't have to worry if it would be broken. I can take it to all the place I want. Train, beach, coffee shop, my son & daughter's home, vacation resort......anywhere & anytime.

Q: What did puzzle brought to you?
A: An active mind & friends. in 2005, I met a France customer while I'm selling puzzle on ebay. We change from internet business partnership into close friend in reality. We have sent more than 4000 email to others. I also went to South of France to see him sometimes.

Q: What is you final goal of collecting puzzles?
A: In 1980, my goal is to own a Rubik's Cube, and I achieved it. From 1981 to 1985, my goal is to obtain as much as puzzles & solution books as I can. Now I got more than 600 books. In 2009, I realized that puzzles are unlimited through out the world. So I focus on those old puzzle, mainly late 1970 early 1980. I'm described as an "Puzzle Historican" by a book named "The Cube", this excited me!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:26 pm 

A great Thank You goes to you, otischeng!

It's based on what I gave them in January 2011 to be published.
Then, on January 29th, 2011, I was told that the article could not be published because of the quality of the pictures.
26 days later they had grabbed another picture from my gallery without asking and published some of the article.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:46 pm 

George's, every time I'm interviewed by the local press my collection grows and the value rises exponentially. I got a promotin from them during this last round of interviews that saw me called into the office. My playing while teaching got me called in.

Be thankful its what you sent. Me? I have to go to my boss before the local staff tell her what's in the papers. All too much isn't true.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:19 am 

you're welcome George. Would you tell me What is the "Flora Star"? Your most rare puzzle in your collection?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:59 am 

I'll take a guess. Jugo flower?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:13 am 

I can't remember that I told them about my "rarest" puzzle.
Could it be Trajber's Octahedron or the DCI Sterling Silver Cube?

Here is the original of what I told two years ago:

1. Please give our reader a brief introduction of yourself.
I am Georges Helm, born 55 years ago in Pétange, Luxembourg as the first-born of a working-class family with modest conditions. I am married for the second time and I have 3 children from my first marriage. After I took my high-school diploma I began working in a government administration. My favorite pastimes are reading (fiction and non-fiction), listening to music (mostly classical), nature, genealogical studies, languages (I speak Luxembourgish, German, French, English, Italian, Greek and Portuguese and intend to learn Japanese after retirement) and of course Rubik’s Cube and puzzles in general.

2. When did you start collecting cubes and why?

Back in December 1980 I had to attend a job-related course. It was annoying. Suddenly I heard the typical creaking/cracking of an original Rubik's cube that is turned. (at that time I hadn't the faintest idea about what I was hearing. The sound came from 5-6 rows behind me, and when I turned round again and again to see the source of the sound, I saw a colorful something in the hands of a woman. When we had a coffee break, I joined the group that was surrounding the woman and I couldn't believe what I saw. That was my first meeting with a Rubik's Cube. I forgot about it soon after. In February 1981 there was an article with a solution in a German weekly and that brought at last the enlightment needed. Now I wanted to have a Rubik's Cube, but they were not available in Luxembourg. In Germany they cost more than I could afford, my salary being small and the house debt big.
But my wife managed to find a cheaper knockoff for me and gave it to me on Easter 1981. http://www.helm.lu/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=5981
The solution I had had for several months provided steps to solve a standard cube, but not a supercube like my first one. So I had to find a solution on my own, which I did, and that was when I put my heart and soul in it. I found a German book on the cube, another one, a French one a.s.o. In one of the books they wrote about David Singmaster, the guru of cubing. I searched and found addresses of book authors, I wrote to them and they wrote back.
I founded a Rubik's Cube Club, I visited Singmaster, Bandelow and others.
I came to know Jerry Slocum, Pete Beck, and many others with whom I began to trade cubes and literature about the cube.
I wrote to cube-lovers at MIT and you bet I became known in the cubing world.
At that time exchanges had to be made using snail mail and it took weeks to get a package from the States (1982-1988).
In 2003 a Greek Sunday magazine published an article about Rubik and his cubes and they mentioned me as one of the best-known cube experts worldwide.
This is how the Verdes family (v-cubes 6x6x6 and 7x7x7) came to know me.
I had been online since 1995, this added to my spreading reputation.

3. What’s the first cube you collected? How did you get it and what did it attract you? Were there any interesting stories about it?
See answer 2. Above

4. Do you still keep it now?

Of course I keep it and I cherish it. I even managed to buy several replacement cubes in case my “first one” should break. http://www.helm.lu/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=5983

5. How many cubes do you have now? In what way did you gain them usually? Did you also buy or collect cubes from foreign countries? What is the “farthest” cube you ever collected?
I don’t know how many cube I have, really. The last time I counted there were more than 1,600. Cubes were never really available in Luxembourg. I could find some in the neighbouring countries Belgium and Germany, but all this was not very satisfying after I had become “addicted”. I soon began to swap with other collectors living all around the world. Beginning with the United Kingdom from David Singmaster and Germany where I helped sell 5x5x5 cubes for Christoph Bandelow, getting a 5x5x5 as payment for every 12 cubes I sold. These 5x5x5 cubes were “hard currencies” for my trades. Being known on the MIT cube lovers list I came into contact with many foreign collectors from the USA and Europe and eventually from Asia, too. I have collected from every continent, sometimes paying more for postage than for the cubes in the packages.

6. What’s your favorite cube, why?
My all-time favorite is the 3x3x3.I think this is mainly because how I came to know the Rubik’s Cube. At the time I was fascinated by the fact that I had gotten a puzzle not to big and not to small and one that didn’t fall apart. I could take it with me wherever I wanted to. And this is what I did. I played with it in the train, on the beach, … I have cubes at home, in the car, at the office, at the mother-in-law’s, at the holiday residence…

7. And what’s the “strangest” cube? (the shape or the solution )
There are many. One of my favorites is one of Tony Fisher’s modifications: the Hexaminx, which is in fact a Megaminx http://www.helm.lu/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1266
made into the shape of a cube.
http://www.helm.lu/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=11841
http://www.helm.lu/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=11847

8. How many cubes have you sold so far? Did you ever meet any clients who are also cube fans? Any interesting stories?

I sold nearly 2,000 cubes so far, all to cube collectors or speedcubers. There were professor’s buying them for workshops, cube fans for modding, fathers for Christmas presents, students to help them lead a ‘cube-revolution’ in their school a.s.o.

9. Can you remember any other clients that left you deep impressions?
In 2005 I came to know a French client while selling some cubes on Ebay. This person became a real friend whom I visited at his home in the south of France. We exchanged more than 4,000 emails in the meantime and I am very glad to have come to know Francisco.

10. What is a puzzle meeting? How often do you attend puzzle meetings? What was the largest meeting you ever participated in?
a) The IPP: The purpose of the International Puzzle Party is to provide an annual forum for serious puzzle collectors for the exchange and sale of puzzles, books and related items, as well as for fun and fellowship. In short: puzzling fun for puzzling enthusiasts. International Puzzle Parties have been held almost every year since 1978. IPP's are usually organized in three-year cycles in the USA, the Far East, and Europe. Attendance at any International Puzzle Party event is by personal invitation only, from the hosting team.
b) The so-called Cube Days, which are one-day events somewhere in the Netherlands or Germany, comprising a market, lectures, etc
c) Other events organized by myself: in youth hostels or the like to teach how to solve a Rubik’s cube and other puzzles
The largest ones I attended are the IPP’s, number wise and nation wise.

11. I guess you must be a cube master. Could you share us with some secrets or “magic codes” of playing rubiks? What’s your fastest speed on record? How many solutions have you tried or invented so far?
I have never been into speedcubing, my average time for a 3x3x3 cube being one minute. I am mainly a collector, although I solve nearly all the 'cubes' I have.
From 1982 to 1984 I published my own solutions to the cube and other puzzles. I even started a cube newsletter after having created a cube club in Luxembourg.
HELM Georges;69 verschiedene Möglichkeiten den Würfel zu richten;1983;
HELM Georges;Das magische Domino;1984;
HELM Georges;De Cubist 1983/1 - 1984/1 + 1983;original;German;periodic;
HELM Georges;"Der 5x5x5-Würfel und das "Supergroup" -Problem";1984;
HELM Georges;Der Fünferwürfel;1983;
HELM Georges;Der Fünferwürfel in 11 Schritten;1984;
HELM Georges;Einmal Würfelrichten bitte!;1983;
HELM Georges; Supergroup Solutions;1983;
HELM Georges;Rubik's Cube Manöversammlung Band I;1982;

12. What cube you have is the hardest to be solved? How long did it take you to solve it finally?
I have several of these cubes (half a dozen or so) that I have not yet solved: many “cubes” that are Skewb modifications. My brains seem to give up when it comes to solve these. Also “cubes” like the Hexaminx, where one known shape is replaced by another. That one took my more than a year and I think I have again forgotten how to solve it.

13. Are there any cubes you still can’t solve now?
Tony Fisher’s Golden Cube

14. Do you have any kids? Do they love cubes too?
I have two girls and one son (30, 23, 28). My son has the complete series from the 2x2x2 to the 7x7x7 and he can solve them. He has even found his own methods to improve the solution I provided. Apart from that small collection, he has other interests in his life. My daughters showed some interest when they were 14 or so, managed to solve the 3x3x3, but they lost interest soon after.

15. What’s your “ultimate goal” of your cube collection? Have you achieved it?
My goal changed several times over the years from 1980 (first appearance of the cube in my life) to 2011.
1980 I wanted to get a cube (done)
1981-1985 I wanted to get as many cubes and books as I could afford (done: 600+ books/solutions)
2005-2010 There were many cubes I was able to pay for now and I wanted to have them for my collection (Sterling Silver Cube, Dino Cubes, and many mods from well-known builders)
In 2009 I decided that there were to many cubes available worldwide and I decided to concentrate on the ‘historic’ cubes from the late 70’s and early 80’s. I completed my goal and I am today a well renowned expert on early cubes.
In the book “ The Cube: The Ultimate Guide to the World's Bestselling Puzzle: Secrets, Stories, Solutions” I am cited as “the” cube literature expert, which pleases me most :-)