Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Planet" Puzzles
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:01 am 

Hi guys,

As I've been on this forum, I've seen mention of a series of twisty puzzles and quite frankly I have no idea what they are or where to buy them. People mention a series of puzzles that have names of planets, like Neptune or Jupiter or Saturn, and they say there's this big series of them... What is this? Where can I buy these?

Hopefully that doesn't make me look too too stupid.
Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: "Planet" Puzzles
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:53 am 

Not too stupid. These are a series of different puzzles sent out by Mf8. pyramid things, megaminx things, cube things....rox. Pre-flight wine on a phone. Someone help!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:18 am 

The planet series are series of variants off a base puzzle. So far there has been a planet series of the Crazy 3x3s, Crazy megaminxes, Crazy tetrahedra, Crazy pentahedra and Bermuda cubes (did I miss anything?).

The 'crazy' puzzles have circles on their faces. The pieces inside the circle may or may not turn when the face is turned. Different planets are different configurations of the two circle types around the puzzle (the tetrahedra also have non-circle faces).

The Bermuda cubes are 3x3x3 cubes with some faces having a triangle as a centerpiece instead of a square (and the faces may be fishered or not). Different planets are different configurations of triangle-faces and normal faces.

This thread is dedicated to solving the circle puzzles.

This thread is dedicated to bermuda cubes.

In this thread there is a link to a simulator with loads of these puzzles.

You can buy the puzzles from, for example HK Now Store or mf8. With the circle cubes and megaminxes, if you want the whole set, you need to buy just two puzzles (so that you have equal amonuts of both face types) and you can exchange centers and get all the other versions. With the crazy pentahedra, you can flip an internal piece that determined if a side face is type 0 or 1. With the other puzzles, you may want to ask around what is recommended. I hear that the Uranus Tet is devilishly hard.

Here is a demo of the crazy 3x3.
Here is Rox's crazy megaminx demo.
Here is a demo of a crazy tetrahedron.
This is pretty much the only video that I found of the crazy pentahedrs that didn't involve solving :3
Here is a video of the bermuda cubes.

I hope this helped!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:28 am 

Wow, thank you so much for your descriptive and frankly amazing post!
So if I'm correct about what I just read, it's like a latch cube but applied to other puzzles, like pyraminxes and megaminxes and such?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:30 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Thenerdyjew wrote:
Wow, thank you so much for your descriptive and frankly amazing post!
So if I'm correct about what I just read, it's like a latch cube but applied to other puzzles, like pyraminxes and megaminxes and such?

Not quite right - the latch cube has an internal ratchet system to allow turning in only one direction of the arrows line up together. The crazy planets can turn in any direction - the variable is whether the inner circle moves with the outer edges or not and this varies from face to face depending on which member of the series you have.

I am working my way through the crazy 3x3 planet cubes and absolutely love them. The first couple are quie easy but they rapidly get very very tough indeed!

Hope this clears it up for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:26 pm 

Since you mention it, what is the general order of difficulty between all the different kinds?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:59 am 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
gzitelli wrote:
Since you mention it, what is the general order of difficulty between all the different kinds?

I asked exactly the same question and received two fantastic answers from Rline and Andrea - their responses can be found in this thread.

I am using several techniques for each just now and working my way through the series. So far (in this order) I have completed:
Jupiter, Uranus, Mercury, Earth, Neptune (my favourite so far!)
Currently really struggling with Mars. The final 2 look impossible - my brain hurts just thinking about how I'm going to go about them!

Whilst I do love the cuboids - the Crazy planet series and the Crazy 4x4 II are the most fun cubes I own! I keep going back to them again and again. It is also great to watch your friends do a double take and then shie away from them :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:24 am 

Hi Gzitelli (and others),

I was about to link to the Crazy thread like Kevin, but I went there for a little browse and some of my older difficulty ratings are not really current. I just scratched togehter something more relevant:

3x3: Jupiter Uranus / Mercury Neptune Venus / Earth Mars Saturn
Megaminx: Jupiter Mercury Venus Uranus / Saturn Earth Mars Neptune
Tetrahedrons: Earth Saturn Venus / "Jupiter-Mars-Mercury" / Neptune Pluto(0012) Uranus ("J-M-M" are the only `pure 0 & 1` combinations)

Enjoy,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)