Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Assembling a Teraminx
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:40 pm 

Hey long time no see.

So I recently picked up Meffert's Teraminx. Unfortunately, a piece popped. Is there any videos that show how to reassemble this puzzle?

Sorry, been out of the loop for a few years. Not sure where to look.

Post subject: Re: Assembling a Teraminx
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:53 pm 

Wow it has been such a long time I haven't seen you post here =) are gonna be staying around again ? :)

as for the assembly, if only one piece popped then I'm sure you won't have any trouble, if the whole thing popped, check drew's assembly out :)

Welcome back Richard !

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:56 pm 

I don't have a video, but I can give you an idea of how I would do it, based on what I know of the gigaminx.

Start with one face and place 2 adjacent main edges in + their centers (star points). Then place the rest of the centers between those two edges, then the corner and edges, and top it off with a main edge + star point centers. You should have 1 corner assembled now.

Continue with the bottom face until it is entirely assembled.

Above each of those main edges that you topped the bottom face off with, assemble the corner, using the same method as before.

Continue until you have all of the corners touching the bottom face corners assembled.

Then assemble the corners adjacent to those until you only have only the top face corners left.

This is where it starts to get a bit more difficult. My suggestion would be to take off the top center cap and unscrew it almost all the way, but you still want it to be in, just very loose.

Pop all the main edges and corners in, as those are the big pieces that can't be put in later. Then put all of the centers in, starting with the bottom ones, then the top ones. Lastly pop in all of the edges.

Tighten the top center again and put the cap on, and bam, it's assembled.

If you need any more elaboration just ask :)
Also if someone who actually has a teraminx can confirm this, that would be nice, but I don't see why the instructions would be wrong.

Ben

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:59 pm 

Is that the same version? I've seen that one when I won his version. Been a long time so I'm not sure which version is which.

Thanks for the welcome back. :)

A few pieces popped, so I'm not sure which is the correct orientation for those pieces. I may just be daring and disassemble the whole thing. I just wanted a reference point. There's so many pieces, it's not like a regular cube haha.

Unfortunately, the same happened to the Petaminx. So I'll have to figure it out one way or the other.

-----------------

Ben, I'll try that. I see what you mean.

Last edited by reeeech on Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:02 pm 

If a few pieces popped out, you should be able to easily pop them back in. Just shove em in there :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:22 pm 

reeeech wrote:
A few pieces popped, so I'm not sure which is the correct orientation for those pieces. I may just be daring and disassemble the whole thing. I just wanted a reference point. There's so many pieces, it's not like a regular cube haha.

the other day I lubed my teraminx and as it was being turned, it locked up. a few faces refused to budge. I noticed that some rows had 8 pieces and some 6, instead of 7 in each. I fixed it in the end, but only by

* removing all the pieces from one or two rows (I mean, say, the row next to the outer edge, and the row in from that)
* setting out each piece and matching them up, so that I knew how many of each type of piece I had
* sort of trialling and erroring different pieces, with educated guessing, until it was obvious that such and such a piece went in this position

eventually, after about 45 minutes, it was back and working fine. hope this helps a little. I implore you, don't disassemble the whole thing!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:50 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
Good to see you, I've read some of your posts (and remembered them because of the awesome avatar :P )

I'd guess the position of the pieces, and when you get gnarly parity errors put them in the right way. That way you don't have to put the entire thing to pieces (including the Petaminx :o ).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:28 pm 

Benf207 wrote:
If a few pieces popped out, you should be able to easily pop them back in. Just shove em in there :P

Yes, often with puzzles like this you can put a few pieces together in your hand and kind of shove them all back in together. Obviously don't force anything and if it doesn't work try turning the side a little like you would on a standard Rubik's.