Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rules and standards reminder
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:32 pm 

Lately it seems I am sending out more friendly PMs to members (mostly new) about our rules and standards. I am somewhat used to doing this for bumps (the most common mistake) but recently it seems many don't quite understand that one of the things that makes our forum special is that we have high standards and value quality content.

If you have not done so, review the rules. Rule #12 is pretty clear about this point and worth consideration.

This forum has been around for many years and its members appreciate these standards. If you don't, or if you find they are too much effort, perhaps this isn't the right forum for you. There are other sites without such standards.

Everyone makes mistakes. Not everyone speaks English as a first language. We are not requiring perfection, but are asking for effort as a courtesy to your peers. Routinely I see posts by non English speakers with better English than posts by native speakers. This effort is appreciated and it would be great if others would make the much smaller effort to get their own language right. It makes it easier for non native speakers to read.

This forum is not a chat room. Please don't treat it like one.

Thanks for everyone's efforts,

Dave :)

Post subject: Re: Rules and standards reminder
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:30 pm 

Ty dav dats helpy 2 mah people (soryy I speedtpye) :lol:

Now, in all seriousness I agree with you. It seems as if several new members have been joining lately with the same idea, that this forum is like one of the other speed solving forums (which are still good).

The thing is, I can tolerate some typos or receptive questions, but it is getting a bit ridiculous answering the same "what are some good 3x3 mods?" threads over and over.

I am very glad that you are addressing this, as I'm sure that many of the other members agree with this, and I must say that my good experiences here are suffering due to careless users.

Please, before typing as fast as you can and "vomiting" your idea onto the thread, review what you have just written and make sure that it is legible and makes sense. Also, be sure to search before starting a new thread.

That is all I have to say. I vote that this thread gets a sticky for all to see. A sticky in every category, so that all new members must see it.

Thanks again Dave.

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.

Post subject: Re: Rules and standards reminder
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:30 pm 

Adman234 wrote:
Please, before typing as fast as you can and "vomiting" your idea onto the thread, review what you have just written and make sure that it is legible and makes sense. Also, be sure to search before starting a new thread.
These are great suggestions but I would back up a bit and give more general advice:

Give more than you take.

Poor writing is one way of taking from our readers. Asking a question that has been recently adressed (i.e. not searching) takes from our members but doesn't give much back. This isn't to say questions are bad, questions are great if the answer informs many members.
First hand direct experience based information is great whereas second hand info can lead to disinformation and rumor.

So if you are going to post, consider who will benefit from what you are going to say? If it is only one person, send a PM.

I am aware that this perspective favors older members: They have a better sense of what has been posted before, and what information will interest other members.
New members are usually eager to jump in and participate in the community, and often this leads them into predictable mistakes (one of my early posts was a bump).

My advice if you are new? Read more. Take the time to read back in the forum, it is worth it! This doesn't mean your participation is not welcome, it just means your contributions will likely be better the more you have read.

We have a great and friendly community, and this is based on the value our members give to each other.

So that is the pitch: Give more than you take and the community thrives.

Dave :)