Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cheese Puzzle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:24 am 

I HAVE RECENTLY SOLD SOME OF MY SELF MADE CHEESE PUZZLES AND AT THE MOMENT I HAVE ONE REMAINING SAMPLE. ALSO I ONLY WISH TO SELL AT THE MOMENT AND NOT TRADE.
THE PUZZLE ROTATES ON ALL AXIS AND THE EQUATOR. THERE ARE NO BANDAGED PIECES.
I THOUGHT I WOULD POST IT HERE FIRST TO SEE IF THERE IS ANY INTEREST FROM THE 'REGULARS, OR THE ODD PASSER BY'.
IF ANYBODY OUT THERE IS INTERESTED PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH ANY QUERIES, OR FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.

UNFORTUNATELY WITH ONLY HAVING ONE SAMPLE LEFT, ALL YOU MILLIONS OUT THERE WILL HAVE TO BE QUICK.

ANTHONY

Post subject: Re: Cheese Puzzle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:37 am 

I agree to Geerd. I have one of this items, it´s in very good quality, well done. I´ve got this puzzle from Anthony at the cube day last year.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:29 am 

This is a fantastic offer!!!
The puzzle is a beauty!!!

In contrast to the Rubik's UFO (which doesn't "turn" very well) this puzzle is excellent, very light and very easy to turn.

Knowing that only a couple of these have been made it is much more rare than e.g. a "dino" puzzle or even a "Dogic" puzzle.

Since it is also of perfect quality (as can already be observed from the picture, but which I also know from personal experience with this puzzle) I suppose that it would be best to offer it at ebay.
To my personal opinion it would at least yield a price of USD 250 or more, if not USD 500.

Good luck,

Geert.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:28 am 

You guys have me looking forward to receiving mine even more now! I will be sure to add my comments once it arrives.

What colour is the bottom face?

Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:58 am 

The other layer is blue (on my item).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:01 am 

Here is a picture...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:29 am 

eBay can be a fickle mistress. True you don't see a Rubik's Cheese for sale every day, but someTimes you just don't know. Better to try and sell it for a fixed price first. Good luck. I'll have to add a Rubik's Cheese to the list of puzzles I want to make for myself.

Ironically I have a Rubik's UFO next to me now that I have just started playing with for the first Time ever. And frankly I'm not impressed at all by how lousy it is to turn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:18 am 

Thanks Hendrik!

Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:33 am 

It arrived yesterday!

Very nice work, Anthony! I was actually expecting the complete UFO to still be inside and your wedge pieces just sort of "Milliputted" into place onto it. I was very surprised to see you actually stripped away everything but the mechanism. It must have taken quite a lot of work to build the wedges to the exact specs of the mechanism.

How did you connect the last piece?!

Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:11 pm 

Sandy (and any other interested parties).

Thank you for your comments.
You will be surprised to learn that the UFO (apart from a little minor trimming in height) is complete and is still inside the Cheese puzzle.
The additional pieces for the wedges are glued onto the UFO and the pieces are smoothed, any gaps filled, and finally sanded prior to painting, resulting in invisible joints between the original and additional pieces. As you already are aware I do not use milliput, moulded resin pieces etc.. All my 'additional' pieces are individually cut, glued, assembled etc.. (albeit this is a very time consuming process). This I find results in a better quality finished product, also with the pieces being hollow it results in a lighter puzzle, than those produced using solid resin pieces from moulds.

Anthony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:50 am 

It is now a week since my original posting.
I have had more interest than I had imagined. Encouraging.
This of course leads to another problem – a shortage of supply of the product, only 1 item available.
There are two possibilities –
Either pick the names out of a hat and offer the Cheese to the person (in sequence) for the cost or Ebay it (possibly with a reserve). This would be my first Ebay sell.
I will let you all know.
Any comments? Out there.
Thanks for the interest.

Anthony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:58 am 

Ever considered an auction on here?
Set a specific time and date for ALL those interested, start a forum and do some sort of online bidding!

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:55 am 

I already have one of these (thanks again Anthony!), so I my opinions don't really count for a whole lot, but here I go anyway. I'm excited by the potential of a forum-only auction, but it has its pros and cons:

PROS

- It doesn't have to start and end at a specific time like an eBay auction does. A real auction only ends after everyone has had a chance to top the current bid. eBay's set-time auction ends encourages buyers to place last minute bids for the minimum price of the auction. The more people there are using sniper software, the lower final prices will become.
- Increases the number of visitors to the forum, although this isn't likely to rank high from Anthony's perspective!
- Wayne won't charge Anthony about $10 in fees!

CONS

- Without eBay to throw its weight around, can you trust everyone who places a bid to actually see it through if they win?
- One single idiot can ruin the whole thing by placing a high bid or by simulating his very own bidding war.
- The final price may suffer if some heavy duty collectors don't visit the forum during the auction.

What am I missing?

Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:02 am 

Would Rubiks.com or Seven towns be interested in making such a puzzle ?

Maybe if you submitted your idea ?
Everyone knows that a Rubik UFO is a pain to turn,
I guess your cheese is probably a lot easier to turn,
so the idea could go a long way...(is this wishful thinling ?)
As for the auction, I guess eBay is the way to go,
maybe put it in 2 or more categories, one of them could
be in the "collectible category" sometimes you can get some longshots or wild card bidders in there...

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:51 am 

IF you have at least 5 people interested in it, I say ebay it. If you are going to put a reserve on it, I would say just start the auction at $200.00 and post a link here on the twisty site telling everyone about it. I would also email all those who have contacted you and are interested. That way they all have a chance to bid on it. I don't think that you would lose money by auctioning it. Everyone who looks at this forum, know the quality of your work is excellent.

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:54 am 

I agree with Dodd that the best way is to auction the puzzle on Ebay. Yes, it has some downsides like sniping bids as Sandy has mentioned. However in this case I don't think that will matter much, as you also get much larger audience. However if Anthony is willing to auction the puzzle to a smaller audience of puzzle lovers (which is a different goal than giving the puzzle away for the highest price he can get, and similar to "giving a cat to good caring hands"), then he can create a mailing list for bidding on this puzzle, and invite people he knows to join it, and make bids. Anthony will then decide when he is willing to close the auction (like, after two days of no bids, etc).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:31 am 

If an eBay auction is the best way to do it, might I recommend using someone as a proxy seller? My reasoning is that while members of the Twisty Megasite forum might not have any qualms about shelling out 100+ dollars on a unique creation by a known puzzle crafter, someone on eBay who is into rarities may still be hesitant to put down that much on someone with little or no eBay feedback. I've seen auctions fail to generate reasonable prices due to this phenomenon. There are plenty of qualified individuals on this list who I am sure would be willing to help out.

As for holding a small private auction, yes this bit of altruism would be a nice gesture but I think just this once Mr. Greenhill should go for the bling bling.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:42 pm 

Anthony,

I agree that eBay is the way for you to go. If you're lucky, you'll earn enough to retire. You can then spend your days making more puzzles. :)

Ed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:58 am 

That's great idea, but I think on ebay Anthony would have more people looking at his auction and maybe some unexpected bidders!
I would say you should go for e-bay, Anthony!

Vadim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:45 am 

Ed

Thank you very much for the optimism.
With regard to Dodd’s post above – my ebay rating is 32, 100% positive, but only as a buyer as I’ve never sold on ebay. I am ‘ingsto’.

Anthony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:31 am 

Good suggestion Jin

Anthony,

If your ebay feedback is less than 100 and/or less than 100% positive, you may want someone else to list it for you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:45 am 

I say list it under your name. That way the money goes staight into and the fees out of your own account. Most of us know who you are and the quality shows in the photos. I don't think you will have a problem getting what you want for this puzzle.