Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mosaic Cube tension adjustment
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:30 am 

By now I am using 1 washer per screw. Washers are the big ones which come with DIY 3x3x3 cubes.

I have replaced screws too, because mine were bent.

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 217.61 KiB | Viewed 5102 times ]

From left to right: washer I use, original screw (bent) and screw I use.

Result by now is this:

Attachment:
image2.jpg
image2.jpg [ 148.96 KiB | Viewed 5102 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:44 am 

Trixter, the edge piece can easily be glued back together without the need for the screw.

I recently received some of the Mosaic Cubes you guys have been talking about. They are very different to the prototype you see in my video. I have tried the washer method but for me it did not work. In addition it was difficult keeping track of which 'cap' was removed from which 'stalk'. Since the removal somewhat damages the areas where they were joined I found they needed to go back exactly where they had been detached from. I found no acceptable solution to the problems discussed here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:08 pm 

I think the BIG problem is in the screws. If you use not bent screws you may even not use any washers.

Tony, does your Mosaic Cube have cubic shape when you use washers??? Are your screws bent???

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:19 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I recently received some of the Mosaic Cubes you guys have been talking about. They are very different to the prototype you see in my video.
Thank you for saying this information! This just confirms that what I was supposing a few pages back is actually true and no paranoia. I don't want to start the discussion again...just wanted to underline this.
Tony Fisher wrote:
I have tried the washer method but for me it did not work[...] I found no acceptable solution to the problems discussed here.
Same here. The washers thing didn't work for me either...it made the puzzle really clumpsy (if that is the word). I think I will modify the cube back to the initial state.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:56 pm 

I tried the washer trick and it made the cube worse in my case. Perhaps slightly thinner washers would work better, but that's just a guess. I also noticed that some of the screws are too snug in the corner pieces (there's too much friction along the shaft, not that they're screwed in too tightly) and that they unscrew themselves when you rotate the puzzle, thereby causing the whole thing to become even more loose and unstable.

I think I'm going to try a drop a crazy glue on the screw in those cases and see if it gets any better. I'm less annoyed by the puzzle's failure to maintain a cube shape than the fact that mine (well, one of them, in this case) pops every time I try to solve it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:12 pm 

Inwards wrote:
I tried the washer trick and it made the cube worse in my case. Perhaps slightly thinner washers would work better, but that's just a guess. I also noticed that some of the screws are too snug in the corner pieces (there's too much friction along the shaft, not that they're screwed in too tightly) and that they unscrew themselves when you rotate the puzzle, thereby causing the whole thing to become even more loose and unstable.

I think I'm going to try a drop a crazy glue on the screw in those cases and see if it gets any better. I'm less annoyed by the puzzle's failure to maintain a cube shape than the fact that mine (well, one of them, in this case) pops every time I try to solve it.

It sounds like they might be bent.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:24 pm 

I've been doing more tests with the puzzle and the only thing that I get clear is that the problem is that the screws are bent by a manufacturing defect.

Finally I removed the washers to my puzzle and it works fairly well. I used the screws on the photo of the post above and have been playing with it without any pop and acceptable movement, especially compared to how came from Meffert's.

I hope my experience will serve for something.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:19 pm 

antoniofr wrote:
I think the solution is much simpler than we think. We have to put a few washers on the screws of the core to push a little to the outside corners. Thus we can tighten the screws without the puzzle cube out of shape and preventing it pops...

Now, you can get the washers for Mosaic Cube Modification,

Attachments:
washer_for_mosaic_cube.JPG
washer_for_mosaic_cube.JPG [ 24.56 KiB | Viewed 4976 times ]

- from Hong Kong

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:15 am 

I've finally managed to mod my cube so that it doesn't pop anymore. In my case there were two issues:

1. One of the corner pieces didn't allow enough space for the screw to turn freely without friction and this caused it to unscrew itself. This wasn't an issue of a bent screw as the same screw worked fine in other corner pieces. I drilled out the screw hole and that fixed that problem.

2. One of the edge pieces had a stripped screw hole. This created just enough play so that other pieces would fall out while turning. I crazy glued the screw in place and that fixed it. Shouldn't this have been cast as a single piece?

I wouldn't say that the cube now turns well; it's now a bit too tight for comfort, but at least it doesn't fall apart every couple of turns.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:32 pm 

Radu wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:
I recently received some of the Mosaic Cubes you guys have been talking about. They are very different to the prototype you see in my video.
Thank you for saying this information!
This may be a late question, but today I have received a piece of information that lets me ask:
What means "different" here? Different could mean as well that the prototype had been inferior, right? :wink:
Tony, can you, please, comment on this?
In the context of this thread, I had perceived the statement like Radu.
Radu wrote:
This just confirms that what I was supposing a few pages back is actually true and no paranoia.
Obviously, Radu assumes that the production quality is inferior compared with the prototype. It could be the other way around, as well!
Radu wrote:
I don't want to start the discussion again...just wanted to underline this....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:36 pm 

However, considering Tony was talking about applying the washer modification to this, I expect him to imply that the mass produced version is inferior to the prototype version.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:02 pm 

I received mine today.
I'm so angry that I just can't put it into words.
My 4th Meffert's puzzle and it's the third that comes with problems...
I will probably open it someday, but not now. I'm too afraid to break a 40$ toy.
It's so beautiful that makes very angry to see it in this strange shape.

Just an update:

As I said, I'm too afraid to open it, and there's a monster tuttiminx waiting for me to actually open it, so I decided to watch a movie while turning all the faces of the Mosaic Cube and I can say that after 2 hours or so of turning every corner some hundred times the puzzle got better.
My hands got used to hold it in the right position, so now I can do a couple of moves before the puzzle gets in a "strange shape", which, to me is a 5 out of ten. Better than a 3 out of 10.
I'll keep doing that, but I still feel that although it's a beautiful puzzle, and was invented by one of the designers that I like the most, 42 dollars was a little bit too much.

Update 10 minutes later: it broke. NICE.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:45 am 

MikonJuice wrote:
Update 10 minutes later: it broke. NICE.

Bad news indeed. :cry:

One of my edges came apart completely, and on another, the screw was loose. When I tightened it, there was no final resistance, aka the screw didn't get tighter or stop turning. This is indication of a stripped thread. I decided to wait and only glue it when/if the edge came apart again.

A similar thing happened on an internal hidden edge on my Vulcano. The part was damaged as the screw was inserted crooked, damaging the threads. Super Glue fixed the bummed part, and my Vulcano behaved very nicely afterwords, no tension adjustment necessary

I believe part of the problem with recent puzzles is that the screws used to secure the flange to the pieces are so tiny that they don't secure very well inside the plastic. The delicate walls surrounding the screw are thin and fragile, getting damaged easily or dethreading. Superglue easily fixes these type parts.

I am not sure if my screws are bent or not, but judging by the way the axes look disassembled, it seems that they might be defective. My axes seem to be crooked and uneven. Originally, I assumed this to be a problem with the core spider. I have not attempted to remove the corner caps as I am too afraid of damaging or breaking the puzzle.

What is the thread pitch of the MEfferts screws? It is clear judging by the photo that the threads on either screw are unequal. If the thread pitch and gauge can be matched, then it will prevent additional damage to the core due to rethreading, when the new screws are inserted.

Another issue for the quality control department - It is clear by simple visual inspection of the above previously posted photos that the screws have a defect. Assuming the puzzles were assembled by hand, wouldn't any careful and diligent worker have been aware of this and notified his/her supervisor of the error? Or is such a level of care and pride in the quality and image of one's product/craftmanship simply unheard of in China?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:58 pm 

SEBUVER wrote:
However, considering Tony was talking about applying the washer modification to this, I expect him to imply that the mass produced version is inferior to the prototype version.

The mass produced versions that I own are indeed inferior to the prototype.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:09 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
SEBUVER wrote:

Now that this has been confirmed, I find this quite frustrating. I purchased my mosaic cube, even though mefferts warned that it wasn't the best quality puzzle, because I had seen the video of Tony's puzzles and decided that they were of acceptable quality. As it stands, I would not have paid $40 for the puzzle, having known of it's poor quality.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:18 pm 

Location: USA, North America, Planet Earth, Solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Tony Fisher wrote:
SEBUVER wrote:

To me this seems to make absolutely no sense at all. If the prototypes had been better (I'm fairly sure they were injection-molded, with the same techniques used with the current version, and not individually-hand-made) and the new versions were (I won't lie) utter crap, why would Meffert decide to sell the new ones, instead? Surely he had not yet destroyed the original molds at the time?!
Still waiting on news about Oskar's sphere core, tried the washer mod and now it turns, but it's still not up to my standards.
Hopefully, this puzzle will gain value simply for its rarity (eg Dogic) and not it's quality, and perhaps I can sell mine in the future for some money...

NEW VIDEOS-
3x3x3 stop-motion solve
Meffert's new Pyraminx Crystal solve
QJ 4x4x4 solve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:28 pm 

plosfas wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:
SEBUVER wrote:

Now that this has been confirmed, I find this quite frustrating. I purchased my mosaic cube, even though mefferts warned that it wasn't the best quality puzzle, because I had seen the video of Tony's puzzles and decided that they were of acceptable quality. As it stands, I would not have paid $40 for the puzzle, having known of it's poor quality.

I am sorry if it mislead people. I only recently purchased the normal ones myself based on the quality of that prototype. I too am not very happy with my purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:53 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I am sorry if it mislead people. I only recently purchased the normal ones myself based on the quality of that prototype. I too am not very happy with my purchase.

I don't feel that you personally mislead people. What frustrates me is that that video was posted on the official Mefferts puzzles channel. Because of that, I felt that it would be a good indication of what the final puzzle would be like.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:01 am 

plosfas wrote:
I don't feel that you personally mislead people. What frustrates me is that that video was posted on the official Mefferts puzzles channel. Because of that, I felt that it would be a good indication of what the final puzzle would be like.

Totally agree with plosfas.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:16 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Ok... this begs the question... What exactly is different between the prototypes and the mass produced versions? Are they the same molds... at the moment I am assuming they are? So is it different screws, different springs, different plastic? I'd love to know...

Personally I'm fairly happy with my mass produced one at the moment. It was far too tight when it arrived but I just took it apart and copied roger's advice from page 1 of pulling outward on the corners while rotating the corners counter clockwise. This loosed things up nicely and I didn't have to pop off any of the screw covers. If I had easy access to the screws I think I could make it even better but its good enough now I'm not going to risk breaking something.

Carl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:58 am 

plosfas wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:

As the person who runs it I take responsibility for that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:33 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
plosfas wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:

As the person who runs it I take responsibility for that.

No. You're not the one who made the contracts. And besides, you're not the owner of the Meffert's site.
You and Oskar are not guilty, but, let's hope that Uwe come up with a solution. One should be stocking cores with easy acess to the screws by a really low price, or at least for the ones who bought this product.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:23 pm 

GuiltyBystander wrote:
I received my Mosaic Cube yesterday as well. It was highly distorted fresh out of the box. I've done 3 scrambles+solves to try and loosen it, and I was fighting the cube on almost every turn. Moves catch a lot and I often have to turn the opposite direction x2 or rock the piece back and forth to get help realignment. I am quite disappointed but I'll try a few more solves before I retire it as an expensive paperweight.
I've played with it a few more times and it does get better. It's still worse than all other Mefferts puzzles I own and jams frequently, but it is a noticeable difference over when it was fresh out of the box.

I still haven't disassembled or pop'ed mine and I don't plan to. This puzzle is incredibly easy solve-wise so I'm not too interested in fixing a puzzle I won't play with a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:25 am 

Oscar,
Did the sphere core work out? I would like to buy one if it did.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:54 am 

I ordered a Mosaic Cube on January 31 and still haven't received it. I ordered a Professor Pyraminx at the same time and got it 2 or 3 weeks ago. I'm starting to get concerned.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:15 pm 

Just an update on mine....I sent Meffert's an email with a link to the pics I posted here and asked for replacements, but I've yet to receive any response at all. I'm sure they get tons of emails, but does anyone know of an approximate timeframe for a response?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:03 pm 

Last edited by bish on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:40 am 

I still think it's those bent defective screws causing it. I haven't tried busting off the caps, but I do know that the axes in my Mosaic Cbue are not strait at all. :(

The bent screws make perfect sense though. It would cause the puzzle to distort in random lumpy sort of way. :scrambled:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:04 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
I still think it's those bent defective screws causing it. I haven't tried busting off the caps, but I do know that the axes in my Mosaic Cube are not strait at all. :(

You know... I'm starting to agree with you. I haven't busted off the caps on mine either but I have loosened it using the procedure I mention above. It turns much better but still not all that great. And I've noticed when I have it as close to a cube as I can get it that it still won't sit flat on a table. The 4 corners on most faces just aren't in the same plane. So I'm thinking I have bent screws as well.
wwwmwww wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:
Ok... this begs the question... What exactly is different between the prototypes and the mass produced versions? Are they the same molds... at the moment I am assuming they are? So is it different screws, different springs, different plastic? I'd love to know...

Tony, any chance you could compare the screws on your prototype to your mass produced one?

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:14 am 

bish wrote:
merlintocs wrote:
I ordered a Mosaic Cube on January 31 and still haven't received it. I ordered a Professor Pyraminx at the same time and got it 2 or 3 weeks ago. I'm starting to get concerned.

I have ordered my Mosaic Cube on January 16th with few more puzzles. 2-3 weeks a package came but without Mosaic cube. Inside package was a note with message that Mosaic Cube will be sent later. It came a week or two after.

From my own expirience, Meffert's aren't scammers. They probably got alot of orders for Mosaic Cube, but they probably can't produce so many in short time.

Have you received your Mosaic Cube yet? Still no word on mine, and since Mefferts doesn't seem to respond to e-mails anymore, I'm not really sure what to do.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:02 pm 

Bump!

I received my Mosaic Cube today, after having the rest of my order arrive with one of the notes stating the Mosaic Cube would be shipped at a later date a few months ago. If it's a 'v2' not much has changed; it's as lumpy as the first cubes posted in this thread and very hard to turn. It is not lubed at all as far as I can tell, so I'm happy to not have to clean out a lot of bad lube as other have. I've ordered Oskar's sphere core from Shapeways, now I just have to pry the corner caps apart...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:37 am 

Well, I finally received my Mosaic Cube, but like others, it's so messed up that I can't even scramble it. Judging from some of the stories in this thread, I'm almost afraid to even try to fix it. That makes for a pretty expensive brick. :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:49 pm 

merlintocs wrote:
it's so messed up that I can't even scramble it.

Mine isn't *that* bad; I can and have scrambled and solved mine several times over the weekend. It's not smooth by any stretch of the imagination, but I can certainly make turns if I squish it back into a cube every so often.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:24 am 

I want to buy the circle core too, but I haven't ordered from shapeways before.

1. I take it that the sphere core is a `complete` replacement for the old core? (I don't have to order a new axis as well)
2. What material do I order it in? `Sandstone` appears to be the cheapest, (is this a colour or type of material) or will I need to choose a specific material?
I just want to get my order right, that's all.

Has anyone else bought one, I was expecting it to be more of a topic of conversation after all of the problems?
Cheers,
Burgo.

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

Last edited by Burgo on Sun May 01, 2011 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:30 am 

I would recommend an SLS material, either white, strong and flexible or black, strong and flexible (although seeing as colour doesn't matter, I'd recommend the WSF). I don't believe you have to order anything else, but I think you'll have to use parts from your old Mosaic Cube core.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:37 am 

Thanks Luke. :D
No point trying to get a cheaper material though: Minimum order $25.
Actually, the price includes shipping, which I didn't realize, (I was starting to get scared off with the cost @25+shipping).
So the total is 42+25=$67 (I guess still cheaper than non mass produced / but it's enthusiast price, for sure).
I'll let you know how it goes,
Burgo.

Last edited by Burgo on Sun May 01, 2011 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:43 am 

Burgo wrote:
No point trying to get a cheaper material though: minimum order $25

Buy a puzzle. :P

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:04 am 

Oh, I wish.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:09 am 

Strange things. My Mosaic Cube arrived back in February. It was virtually impossible to use, as many comments here have said. I tried following some of the advice involving loosening/tightening the screws, but I was unable to remove any of the corner pieces. So I put the Cube on a shelf and didn't touch it again.

Yesterday, I thought "why not?" and picked it up again. It turned rather well. Not perfectly, in that very occasionally it would get slightly stuck, but this could be fixed by, e.g., turning 240 degrees clockwise rather than 120 degrees anticlockwise. This was fairly rare, however. And also, while solving it, three of the corner pieces simply fell out!

So, if others have similarly ignored their Cube since getting it, perhaps try again. Maybe something just needed to settle, or maybe the invisible cube-repairing pixies were busy until recently.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:11 pm 

I was going to order the new core, but was hesitant because I'd have to pry off the corners. I started to play with the puzzle again, and the more I use it, the better it turns. At this point, I don't think I need the new core.

-d

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:19 pm 

I just pm'ed antoniofr a couple of days ago to thank him for his washer mod - i saw it a while ago but i just got around to trying it on my cube recently. I used washers from a couple of cheap 3x3's i had for sticker mods - i'm sorry i don't know any more about them than that.

My cube now moves if not perfectly at least as well if not better than i hoped for before ordering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhLlDOdGS50

Notice that i provide very little support to the cube in the video - and it still stays in an almost perfect cubic shape - in a real life solve you can support the edges more and realign the shape as you turn ensuring the turning is even better. I have scrambled and solved this cube several times since i added the washers and it is now great fun to solve!

I recommend this mod to everyone - you will need to remove the caps to do it and as such if you are keeping your cube for it's value you may devalue it... however if you want it as a working puzzle and you are having problems with yours then this is definitely worth a try.

Thanks again Anoniofr!!

P.S. Can someone that bought Oscar's sphere core upload a video of the turning when they get it?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:52 pm 

I should also mention that I recieved my ball core from Oskar's Shapeways shop,
http://www.shapeways.com/model/215635/m ... _core.html?
and I must say it does offer somewhat a considerable improvement. Obviously it's still no Guhong in terms of movement, but it does rotate much smoother that before, and more importantly, drastically cuts down the number of piece pops and puzzle explodes. I literally soaked the BSF core with silicone spray prior to reassembly, and that thing can soak up huge amounts of lube!!!

So is it worth the USD $25 investment? I can't answer that question for you, but it definitely helps. If you're happy with it as is, or you want to try an alternative remedy mentioned above, that is fine too.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:45 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
I should also mention that I recieved my ball core from Oskar's Shapeways shop,
http://www.shapeways.com/model/215635/m ... _core.html?
and I must say it does offer somewhat a considerable improvement. ....
How difficult was it to get the caps off?
I have no idea how it happened, but I have received a "free replacement set" of Mosaic twins (black and white).
(I have never complained :) )
I can now talk about the experience with three different Mosaic cubes
- Number 1 (black) from my original Jade order: Some may remember, that it had arrived in a similar state that has been criticized by so many. A lot of turning and some lubrication have made it a very acceptable puzzle.
- Number 2 (black) was acceptable at the beginning and has improved by some lubrication and breaking in.
- Number 3 (white) was not so good. Hardly to turn at the beginning. Now, after some some lubrication, it is much better. I have not spent much time with it, a few drops of silicone spray, only, and ten minutes of turning.

Not a single pop, no explosions :wink:

My conclusion: Number 1 is still the best. If the replacement twins are an improved version, nothing has changed much. None of the three is really bad. (Have I been lucky three times? :) )
All three are completely unmodified.
My advice remains the same: Use some patience and some good silicone spray.

BTW, I have sent email to Uwe about the "replacement kit". It seems that my very good communication with him and Meffert's in general is broken again (a situation I had a year ago as well).
If the two additional remain in my house, I'll try Oskar's sphere on one, just to see the difference!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:53 am 

Yeah Konrad,
I think I must have got lucky too, mine seems to be one of the better ones also. I was reluctant to mess with it, but in the end I wanted to hold the puzzle in my hands comfortably and not put it on a flat surface to turn all the time, I think it will be the difference between using it a lot or a little. So I got the ball core. I hope it is easy to install.
Burgo.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:08 am 

Burgo wrote:
..So I got the ball core. I hope it is easy to install.
Burgo.
You will certainly post here, when you have done it?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:21 am 

For sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:20 pm 

My ball core arrived today, but it seems like the only thing improved in the 'improved' mosaic cube I got is the glue on the corner caps. Anyone have any tips on getting them off? I'm concentrating on the corners of the seam, roughly where the pegs underneath should be, but the entire seam looks pretty fused. Am I going to have to slice all the way around each corner? I'm about ready to destroy the original core to get the screws out; the ball core can't possibly be worse, can it?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:11 pm 

Personally, I believe it takes A LOT OF FORCE to remove the caps from the mosaic cube. I had actually gashed my thumb pretty bad attempting to pull a Pyraminx cap off with my bare fingers. The sharp plastic underneath the cap tore open my skin, ouch! :shock: So I feel that to be safe, with any puzzle, if it takes a lot of force to pry off, use a rag or rubber grip pad to pull if you use your hands. By pulling with all my might, I was only able to pull three corner caps off.

I recommend using a box-cutter blade to pry off the caps. Simply wedge the blade into the seam underneath the corner, and the thickness of the blade should be enough to break the glue. You'll hear a little cracking sound when the blade slides in, this means the glue seal on that edge has been broken. Repeat this procedure for the other two sides, and the corner will lift off cleanly. Between all 8 corners of my Mosaic Cube, I only had one peg break off inside the base.

Regardless of how you get the caps off, after you have modified/replaced the core to your liking, it will be necessary to glue the caps back onto prevent them falling off, so make sure you've got the puzzle turning exactly how you want it before applying the superglue.

EDIT: For clarity purposes, I was referring to Pyraminx caps. The caps on the mosaic cube are not sharp.

Last edited by stardust4ever on Fri May 13, 2011 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:59 am 

Quote:
I had actually gashed my thumb pretty bad attempting to pull a Pyraminx cap off with my bare fingers.

Wow. No wonder you hurt yourself I think. It took me half an hour with a swiss knife and after I had a millimeter of plastic taken off in the gap.
You must be an http://www.global-nutrition.de/sportbek ... c-gelb.jpg. :P Plus your pyraminx's core is awesome. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:55 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
Simply wedge the blade into the seam underneath the corner, and the thickness of the blade should be enough to break the glue.

That's where I started, but I wasn't feeling anything but cutting plastic. Instead I've decided to go the extreme route: last night I broke the core (Meffert certainly knows how to make *those* well) and have all the corners separated with the screw inside. I tried just screwing them into the ball core as is, but I could not get enough tension to get them in well, so my plan tonight is to make a jig that will hold the base of the corner but allow the cap to pass through and knock the cap off using a hammer and punch on the exposed end of the screw. Hopefully that will knock them off cleanly and not put a hole in the corner cap.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next