Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Counterfeit Zhanchi?
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:04 pm 

Hi! I bought a Dayan Zhanchi about a year ago, and my friends recently got theirs as well (like within the past few days). Upon inspection, I noticed that their center caps were different and the Dayan Logo was inscribed on the inside. Other than that, I noticed no difference in the pieces. Also, my friends' new, unbroken-in cubes did feel like what I remembered when I first unboxed mine. Mine generally feels sluggish in turning and the M slices seem tight, but theirs worked great even though the tensions were even tighter. Also, I did lube mine with Weight 4 Assorted Silicon Lube from The Cubicle, if that makes any difference.

I asked if it was an original plastic Zhanchi, but I was told that it wasn't since it didn't have the beige core. My friend keeps saying I have a counterfeit, but I'm not so sure since the other pieces are identical. I also figured that Dayan might have changed the mold slightly.

Here are some pictures of my Zhanchi. I restickered it and made my own Dayan Logo Sticker for the white center piece. It is a bit worn since it's been my only speedcube for a year.

Post subject: Re: Counterfeit Zhanchi?
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:23 am 

Your cube is perfectly fine. I owned around 5 zhanchi's, which 2 of them would have been "original plastic zhanchi", and every single one I owned or played with felt a bit different. I doubt they changed the mold. It's normal that every cube has a different feeling, even if it from the same molds. Don't worry it's a real zhanchi.

Last edited by Drake on Tue May 20, 2014 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Counterfeit Zhanchi?
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:59 am 

That's what I figured, but all the images of the center caps I could find had the Dayan inscription on the inside except for the original plastic Zhanchis, but mine had a normal Zhanchi core (whiteish/clear).