Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mefferts Florescent Stickers to be discontinued...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:30 am 

Excerpt from the latest Jade Club Newsletter:
Quote:
Once the fluorescent labels are gone, we will not be making these again. The labels are not readily available, and are becoming harder to obtain in ever larger MOQ. Once these stickers are gone, we will use the German vinyl labels as replacement. So if you want the limited edition fluorescent labels, you should Pre-Order now.

My mom's 1981 white Meffert's Pyraminx had this exact same identical sticker material. I was born the same year (turning 30 later this month :shock: ). One of the corners has some of my baby teethmarks in it, but both puzzle and stickers are still intact. There is crust inside the puzzle from years of use, but the stickers remain just as bright and vibrant as they ever did. Since my twisty puzzles obsession got rekindled in 2007, I have bought a number of Meffert's puzzles as they have been released. When I recieved my first Skewb, I was delighted to see that the stickers were no different than the ones on my mom's 1981 Pyraminx. Since then, I have gathered several more puzzle with the wonderful stickers. They are tough as nails and will last a lifetime. I now have a number of newer puzzles in my posession with the florescent stickers. All six colors glow fiercely under a florescent blacklight, except for some of the newer batches of blue which do not glow. Ironically, the blue on one side of my Pyra-Star glows while the other side doesn't, but under normal lighting, they cannot be distinguished.

Truth be told, I have grown to love the material so much, wish I could donate a bulk roll of the stuff to Cubesmith. The last puzzles to roll off the Mefferts assembly line with the florescent labels are the Professor Pyraminx, and only an unknown quantity of Professor Pyraminxes will be getting the labels. They will be sold on a first-come, first serve basis. The remainder of stock, and all future production runs, will use the German Vinyl only.

I only feel a slight sadness in my heart that this longstanding Meffert's tradition of 30 years is coming to an end :cry:

Post subject: Re: Mefferts Florescent Stickers to be discontinued...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:02 pm 

Indeed, it is sad that something that has come to be a signature of the Meffert's company is going to be no more. However, I actually like the German Vinyl better, but that's just me.

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:40 pm 

http://soundcloud.com/max-richter/02-on ... f-daylight

I feel like this should be listened to while you read the main post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:01 pm 

That is saddening :( I'm not a big fan of the new stickers they have been using. I find them dull, drab, unshiny, and the darker colors are just too dark. They also don't have the sticker like feel and when trying to reposition the stickers when they are off place (like the flowerminxs) they break and the spot your peeling out loses its adhesive. Its a shame that they are discontinuing the florescent labels :(