Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gear Cube center caps
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:31 am 

Just recieved my Gear Cube, and I love it. The only thing is, the center caps keep falling off while solving it. Is there any way to get them to stay, besides gluing them in?

Transsexual and Proud!

Post subject: Re: Gear Cube center caps
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:52 am 

bang it really hard on a table after you put a bit of paper in there (Thanks Frank-not forgotten)

that should do the trick

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:54 am 

On other puzzles I have used sticky tack/blue tack/yellow tack/what ever you want to call.What ever name or color it has(mine is gray),it works pretty well.Just put a little bit of it all around the edge of the caps, press hard and scape off the extra.A word of warning though, the screws on the cube I used it on became rusted.I'm not sure if it was from the tack or over lubrication and by over lubrication I mean a quarter to a half a tube of rubik's brand lube(yeah, I didn't know what I was doing :lol: ).

P.S. This might not show up as an edit, but it is.Rox posted while I was typing and it sounds like her solution is better :D.Plus a table is accessible to more people than tack :lol: .

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:07 am 

Katsmom, this may sound like a weird question, but how much paper should I put in? The reason I'm asking is because I know that the screws have to move and I don't want to jam the cube I've liked for about a year (I saw Oskar's Caution Cube video about a year ago, and loved it).

Transsexual and Proud!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:00 am 

I can't believe I'm saying this: I cut mine to about 1 cm square. that covers the bit and when you bang it on the table they stay in place.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:50 am 

I pictured doing something completely different than that putting balls of paper in the holes. Thanks for the help!

Transsexual and Proud!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:29 pm 

RubikSkewb wrote:
I pictured doing something completely different than that putting balls of paper in the holes. Thanks for the help!

Don't put balls of paper in it!! cut a piece of paper enough to lay across the actual center piece. flat across, not rolled up in a ball! then place the cap over the paper and push hard. it will not be able to fit in all the way, which is why katsmom suggests bang it on your table, or i recommend tapping it lightly with a hammer, or anything hard (a stick, stapler, calculator, a yo-yo, ect.)

R.I.P. Frank (Flambore) you will always be in my memories.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:31 am 

RedRoost80 wrote:
RubikSkewb wrote:

Don't put balls of paper in it!! cut a piece of paper enough to lay across the actual center piece. flat across, not rolled up in a ball! then place the cap over the paper and push hard. it will not be able to fit in all the way, which is why katsmom suggests bang it on your table, or i recommend tapping it lightly with a hammer, or anything hard (a stick, stapler, calculator, a yo-yo, ect.)

Or another Rubik's Cube!

4x4: 1:39.55
5x5: 2:00.19 (new)
6x6: 5:09.79
7x7: 6:36.xx
3x3 BLD: 7:38.18 (at Nationals)
XBOX Live: L00K A DUCK 0s are zeros

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:48 am 

Beans wrote:
On other puzzles I have used sticky tack/blue tack/yellow tack/what ever you want to call.What ever name or color it has(mine is gray),it works pretty well.Just put a little bit of it all around the edge of the caps, press hard and scape off the extra.A word of warning though, the screws on the cube I used it on became rusted.I'm not sure if it was from the tack or over lubrication and by over lubrication I mean a quarter to a half a tube of rubik's brand lube(yeah, I didn't know what I was doing :lol: ).

I'm replying a few months later, but I really wanted to share what I discovered with a similar tack substance. What you reported with rusting reminded me of what I saw when I removed a little blob of it from a penny after a few weeks. Where the blob was, the penny was very dark, oxidized (essentially rusted), like how pennies look all over after some time of being used. I was unpleasantly surprised, because I had assumed that the substance was chemically inert.

So today I read your post, and tried to search out what the stuff is made of and why it oxidizes metal. I found this page: http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Science/ ... 29456.html
I speculate that little metal particles in the tack are more electronegative than the penny surface, and so are grabbing electrons from it, speeding oxygen's tendency to link with the copper. That's a little high school chemistry for you there (electrochemistry). Or, some other substance could be in there, of an acidic nature, or there may be slow outgassing of something reactive. I imagine that similar products by other manufacturers may vary in the tendency, assuming different proprietary compositions.

The search also turned up a pdf file of advice about storing and displaying stuff protectively as a museum would:
http://www.collectionslink.org.uk/index ... nload/true

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:16 pm 

katsmom wrote:
I can't believe I'm saying this: I cut mine to about 1 cm square. that covers the bit and when you bang it on the table they stay in place.

Yeah,
I have a lot of Frank's puzzles, too. So I know about this. I can confirm Rox's advice. It works perfectly.

Link to my website: Frank's Puzzle Library
Please use puzzles@tiex.de to contact me. I disabled PMs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:31 pm 

The same thing happened to my gear cube. All I did was loosen all the screws a bit and the centers have never popped sense.

Hope that helps :wink: