Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Meeting Daqing Bao and the Lingyun cube
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:50 am 

Last weekend in Shanghai, three years after telling him I hoped we could have a chance to meet, I met Twistypuzzles contributor and designer of Dayan cubes, Daqing Bao. He's a nice guy, very cute with his young son in tow.

He's from southern China, and unfortunately didn't bring any special toys with him to Shanghai. However, apparently he and a few other famous builders from China are going to be exhibiting some of their creations alongside the Guangdong Open 2010 competition in October. Rox, consider this your invitation.

Daqing gave me a Lingyun (凌云) cube, which is the followup to his Guhong cube. So far as I know, it's not for sale yet, but will be soon. The overall design is similar to Guhong. The most significant change is the much larger indentations on the inside of the corner pieces. Daqing said this was to stop the corners from catching on the center pieces when the cube isn't fully aligned. The result is impressive. Corner cutting on this cube is even better than the Guhong cube. Estimating as I didn't have a protractor at hand, regular corner cutting was easy enough at over 40 degrees, with reverse corner cutting doable at over 15 degrees. That is, turn the top layer of the cube counter-clockwise 40 degrees and you can still turn the right layer counter-clockwise. Turn the top layer clockwise 15 degrees, you can still turn the right layer counter-clockwise. The top snaps into place and the right layer turns no problem. There are also "rails" added, similar to several of the recent type A/Alpha cubes. These reduce the contact surface between faces, reducing friction.

The cube is built in the same multi-part style of Guhong, and so you can make a stickerless cube. While you can't use such a cube in WCA competitions, it's a great cube for use in public, as it has the advantage of shutting up those people who always say they just peel the stickers.

Unfortunately, I left the cube at my friend's house in Shanghai. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

Post subject: Re: Meeting Daqing Bao and the Lingyun cube
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:47 am 

That cube sounds really interesting... I'll have to get it when it comes out.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

Post subject: Re: Meeting Daqing Bao and the Lingyun cube
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:32 pm 

(I already posted this in the New Puzzles section, but the LingYun prototypes are available for sale on Witeden, it seems: http://www.witeden.com/goods.php?id=169)