Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: I think I'm done with purchasing custom built puzzles.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:59 pm 

Garrett wrote:
Lately I have been doing a lot of work with Shapeways, printing puzzles where the prints are relatively expensive compared to the final price of the puzzle, so I usually need to ask the buyer to pay before the parts are in my hands....
I think trust and good communication is the essence of such a scheme. (Good communication as you have done it with me. Here is a little bit of positive feedback :D)
Garrett wrote:
I think that this is where a feedback system would be absolutely essential, so buyers can see who they can trust when paying a puzzle forward. My only concern with this is if it will be anonymous, and if it is, how we will be able to make sure only legitimate buyers are giving feedback for puzzles that they have actually purchased...
I believe, a trustworthy moderator is needed, for whom the parties are not anonymous.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:08 pm 

Hello Volitar,

I also think you should name the person whom you have problems with to prevent others getting the same problems.

By the way: thanks to all who reacted on my part of this discussion.

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:30 pm 

I am the person mentioned by Volitar who was contacted by the builder to say the puzzle was ready and would be shipped within 3 days of payment. Having seen this thread I contacted Volitar to check whether this builder was the one he was having a problem with and he informed me it was. I contacted the builder by both email and PM to ask for reassurance that the puzzle was ready before sending payment but have had no reply to either. As a result I have yet to pay.
A third party informs me the builder has got behind with orders and wants to make good but he has sadly not communicated this to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:21 pm 

Volitar Prime, I also think you should tell the rest of us who this builder is. I know it would restore a bit of trust on my end for doing custom puzzle deals if I knew that bad sellers with repeat offences and no communication to buyers will be outed by the community.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:53 am 

On a slightly different note but still relevant, I am always uncomfortable when I see people with long waiting lists for puzzles. Often those people will have been paid in advance. I know this works for some but those fairly new to building should make absolute certain that is what they want to get themselves into.
I personally hate the debt created by such practises. Someone pays you for a puzzle you have yet to make and then of course you are committed to make it. Maybe today you had a new idea and wanted to work on that instead, but no, you must get on with puzzle X. So maybe you can rush along your orders a bit to get them out of the way etc etc.
Like I say, I know it works for many but I can't remember the last time I took advance orders (paid or unpaid) and intend to keep it that way.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:10 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
On a slightly different note but still relevant, I am always uncomfortable when I see people with long waiting lists for puzzles. ...
On Scott Bedard's site other builders may have long waiting list. I had to wait for one puzzle quite a time. But I had to pay only, when my puzzle was ready to ship. That was an OK practice, I think.
I agree, though, that no waiting is better :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:20 pm 

The puzzle came today and I canceled the Paypal dispute. Since I did get the puzzle I am not going to say who the builder was but 3 other people here do know and if they want to post their own stories they can.

I will say this to all builders and people who sell puzzles here:

Do not tell me my puzzle is ready to ship when it is not!

Do not ignore my emails and PMs about it!

If something happens and you can't ship in the time promised then do let me know!

Finally, do not rush out a lower than expected quality puzzle!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:12 am 

Volitar Prime wrote:
Do not tell me my puzzle is ready to ship when it is not!

Do not ignore my emails and PMs about it!

If something happens and you can't ship in the time promised then do let me know!

Finally, do not rush out a lower than expected quality puzzle!
Golden rules for building and maintaining a good reputation. I'd say lack of communication is a very easy way to telegraph to a customer that there is a big problem. Rather than avoiding the issue get in front of it.
Email may get filtered or lost in rare occasions but you can't really hide behind that. And PMs are solid and the recipient knows when you have read them. Do yourself a favor and always communicate promptly.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:56 am 

DLitwin wrote:
I'd say lack of communication is a very easy way to telegraph to a customer that there is a big problem. Rather than avoiding the issue get in front of it.
Email may get filtered or lost in rare occasions but you can't really hide behind that. And PMs are solid and the recipient knows when you have read them. Do yourself a favor and always communicate promptly.

I couldn't agree more: good, honest communication is *essential* to manage expectations, *especially* when things aren't going as initially planned/promised. It's always better to deliver bad news as it happens and explain how you intend to manage it, rather than wait until the problem is resolved before you communicate, otherwise you can easily fall into a trap of silence, isolation and lack of motivation while the problem remains unresolved.