Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: 11x11x11 sighted
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:37 am 

I know it was predicted, but now it's there. I'll refrain from mentioning which auction site I saw it on. Let's hope genuine ones will come along before the market gets flooded.

Post subject: Re: 11x11x11 sighted
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:27 am 

ndiamond wrote:
I know it was predicted, but now it's there. I'll refrain from mentioning which auction site I saw it on. Let's hope genuine ones will come along before the market gets flooded.

found it. Unhappy for... "hitting a door" + "opposite of on"

You kind of gave away where to find it. Most people know which 'auction site' you mean. :?
Alex

I didn't find it on "5th letter of the alphabet"+"where boats land"

http://edock.com/ ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:42 am 

You kind of gave away where to find it. Most people know which 'auction site' you mean. :?

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:49 am 

Interesting that it's being sold from the UK, as the seller's first ever sale (no previous sales), so they could be aware this is a KO and not want to be identified through their normal account. But note that the base colour is white, while Tony's is black...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:22 am 

Kelvin Stott wrote:
Interesting that it's being sold from the UK, as the seller's first ever sale (no previous sales), so they could be aware this is a KO and not want to be identified through their normal account. But note that the base colour is white, while Tony's is black...
Also, the design is clearly different from the Tony-and-friends build: if you look carefully at the middle edges and the center cubies next to them, the "cube of unknown origin" has longer middle edges than Tony's. By the way, the seller appears to have made over 1,000 previous sales.

Having said that, I sincerely hope this thread is locked quickly, and I wish it had never been made!

Last edited by Julian on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:30 am 

looking so smooth!.. fairly good photoshoping, without any backgound - so I think in real it`s rougher.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:56 pm 

Julian wrote:
Kelvin Stott wrote:
Also, the design is clearly different from the Tony-and-friends build: if you look carefully at the middle edges and the center cubies next to them, the "cube of unknown origin" has longer middle edges than Tony's. By the way, the seller appears to have made over 1,000 previous sales.

Having said that, I sincerely hope this thread is locked quickly, and I wish it had never been made!

Internal photos, CAD files and sample parts of ours are available to V-Cubes upon request if there are any concerns that the two are connected.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:40 pm 

wow i found it in literally 5 seconds :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:57 pm 

We all assume (and it's a pretty good assumption) that this is a violation of the V-Cubes patent but until someone gets one, takes it apart, and compares it to the patent we can't be 100% sure. The fact that it is a pillowed 11X11X11 cube in itself is not a violation. Also, since there are no V-Cube 11s (other than a possible prototype when has never been shown to the public) calling this a KO isn't really accurate. When the real V-Cube 11 comes out it could be larger of smaller than this one, I don't believe the patent gave actual sizes in the diagrams (it's been a while since I looked at it so I could be wrong). There could be other changes too, other than the size. One of the ideas behind full disclosure of a design in a patent (at least in the US) is it allows for others to study it any create possible improvements. This puzzle may actually be different enough to be legal, but I doubt it is.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:37 pm 

APJ wrote:

Alex

Alex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:59 pm 

GoGigaball wrote:
APJ wrote:

Alex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:53 pm 

[/quote]
I didn't find it on "5th letter of the alphabet"+"where boats land"[/quote]
http://edock.com/ ?[/quote]

LOL :lol:

don't you mean...

"5th letter of the alphabet" + "rhymes with hey"....?

Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:36 am 

Look guys, although rule #4 talks about links to active auctions, let's consider the logic behind the rule and consider the intent, not just the actual words:
Rule #4 wrote:
In the spirit of fair play, do not post links to active auctions unless it is your auction. Collectors who have been watching the item will get rather upset if you publicly expose what they hoped was a hidden gem.
There was never any doubt where this auction was. So mentioning it is directly at odds with the intent of rule #4. If this is not completely obvious try reading the rule a few times and considering the likely impact of saying "an 11x11x11 is available on some auction site". It will send people immediately to looking for it, destroying any chance of it being missed. An item like this would not likely be missed, but that is not the point. The point is this site has a policy on such things, and it needs to be followed. Posting everything needed but for the link is like adding ^&*^*& in swear words to skirt the filter. It isn't fooling anyone.

Regarding KO issues, let me make a few things clear:
1.) The mechanism for this puzzle is not known
2.) Despite #1 above, it is very easy to assume that it is almost assuredly infringing the Verdes patent given strong similarities to existing puzzles (7x7x7, 9x9x9) that infring the Verdes patent.

Given those two above it is then very hard for the site to consider it KO even though it seems quite likely it is. Should it prove to be, as many will assume, a KO then this information is only just skirting the KO rule as well. In short time I think this will be clear, as mechanism pictures for any mass produced product (and it looks mass produced) are somewhat inevitable. In that event pointing to argument #1 above ("we didn't *know* it was a KO") will seem like a pretty lame excuse even if it is technically correct.

So I would have to say this whole thread is very, very close to the line, if not already over it.

Given where these sorts of threads have been going, I'm just going to lock this one now and save myself the hassle.

Dave

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]