Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gigaminx: Black or White?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:00 am 

I'm going to be buying a cube4you gigaminx after Christmas. I like the look of both the white and black but was wondering which one is smoother and if I should buy one over the other. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Gigaminx: Black or White?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:11 am 

Usually, the affects higher & looser tensions out way any difference in the plastics. So if you had 6 Gigaminxs, 3 black, 3 white. & you tried to get the tensions an evenly as possible on all the puzzles, the minor differences would see would be between all of them, not just between the white & blacks.

So generally, you go for your color preference & not worry if one is better then the other.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:23 am 

I have both a black and white Cube4You Gigaminx, and I can assure you, "smooth" is NOT a word that should be associated with this puzzle. There are structural problems in the Cube4You design that stop it from EVER being a good twisty puzzle. It's disappointing to say, because I really wanted to like it. This is the first twisty puzzle I've owned where I knew that no matter how much it was modded, it would never be great.

That being said, one color will not be smoother than the other. Just choose the color you like, and be ready to do a LOT of tweaking.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:29 am 

blizzard_kb wrote:
I have both a black and white Cube4You Gigaminx, and I can assure you, "smooth" is NOT a word that should be associated with this puzzle. There are structural problems in the Cube4You design that stop it from EVER being a good twisty puzzle. It's disappointing to say, because I really wanted to like it. This is the first twisty puzzle I've owned where I knew that no matter how much it was modded, it would never be great.

That being said, one color will not be smoother than the other. Just choose the color you like, and be ready to do a LOT of tweaking.
Rentlix said he got his working pretty well.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:38 am 

until anyone can prove this accurately, I refuse to believe that anyone has a decent turning puzzle.

and even if they did, they miss the point, a puzzle should NOT have to be adjusted manually in any way shape or form in order to be usable!

Last edited by Drewseph on Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:41 am 

Drewseph wrote:
until anyone can prove this accurately, I refuse that anyone has a decent turning puzzle.

and even if they did, they miss the point, a puzzle should NOT have to be adjusted manually in any way shape or form in order to be usable!

I got the DIY and that was rubbish with no adjustments :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:32 am 

Drewseph wrote:
until anyone can prove this accurately, I refuse to believe that anyone has a decent turning puzzle.

well i have moddded mine and it is much better
i have had a few comparisons to your gigaminx 1.5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:38 am 

I've been facing the same choice on colour - I'm planning to get a gigaminx even though I know that it will be terrible. :( I'm just going to decide when I order which one I like the most. :D

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:08 pm 

Thanks. I'm probably going to end up disassembling it and lubing it a little. It may not help much but I have wanted this puzzle ever since I first saw it on youtube. Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:23 pm 

Considering all the complaints about the C4Y Gigaminx, I either got lucky or am ignorant of what counts as "good" because the one I have turns well by my standards. Granted, I am not a speedsolver, but the reviews do not mesh with my experience.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:33 pm 

Drewseph wrote:
until anyone can prove this accurately, I refuse that anyone has a decent turning puzzle.!
I have a decent turning Teraminx. :)

Tony Fisher wrote:
I got the DIY and that was rubbish with no adjustments :D

Might have to do with the dremel scraps on your workbench. (mods aren't adjustments where you are concerned).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:52 am 

Drewseph wrote:

When I first built mine, I think it turned pretty well. I still believe that it's a great puzzle, unless I had a lucky one. It still turns good, without being modded or having the tensions set. However, I haven't tried what you consider a good gigaminx is, so it's hard for me to judge.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:37 am 

It is quite tragic. Every problem the gigaminx has is a result of poor (actually the absolute worst possible, so bad that cannot think of a single place that would have affected turning more) injection spots on the inner corner pieces, and the excess of hollowed out parts. I can't imagine the puzzle would have cost that much more if the pieces were filled. I bet the molds would even have been cheaper because the geometry would have been more simple.