Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

What new products would you buy from the store? Choose up to FIVE favourite items.
Poll ended at Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:06 pm
V-Cubes: http://www.v-cubes.com. 7%  7%  [ 28 ]
Crazee Puzzles: http://www.crazeethingz.com/section.php ... ee-puzzles. 5%  5%  [ 19 ]
Other various twisty puzzles that you can probably find in other shops. 7%  7%  [ 29 ]
Other various twisty puzzles that you may not be able to find in other shops. 17%  17%  [ 68 ]
Non-twisty puzzles that appeal to twisty fans (the Log Puzzles have been selling surprisingly well). 2%  2%  [ 10 ]
TwistyPuzzles.com branded Merchandise: apparel, stickers, magnets, and so on. 6%  6%  [ 23 ]
TwistyPuzzles.com branded Puzzles: remember the Enigma and Puck projects that ALMOST happened? 9%  9%  [ 37 ]
Puzzle-related t-shirts with fun designs and stuff. 8%  8%  [ 31 ]
Spare puzzle parts. 8%  8%  [ 32 ]
Puzzle stickers. 7%  7%  [ 28 ]
Equipment and supplies for puzzle building / modding. 12%  12%  [ 47 ]
Downloadable STL files archive. 10%  10%  [ 39 ]
Other: Post the details. 2%  2%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 401
 Post subject: Product Line Expansion
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:06 pm 

Because I'm here to serve you guys, it makes most sense to put this question to you. I've accumulated some funds from the new shop and would like to expand the products being offered. There are many areas to choose from, and I would like your help so I can better serve you (and make more money so I can better serve you some more after quitting my job...!)

Sandy

Post subject: Re: Product Line Expansion
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:19 pm 

Voted. I voted one other cause i wasn't sure if it would fit into another category. But i absolutly think one of the top puzzles on my want list is cubedron and its related puzzles. And i think twistypuzzles should definitly support the inventive puzzles so we get more inventive puzzles!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:44 pm 

I second that, any puzzles that our own members design and start manufacturing in reasonable volumes should be available here first, even before they hit the shops, while unique handbuilt mods should probably only go on eBay.

This would really support the inventor community as it would provide a great stepping stone to test the market, and demonstrate this to convince the shops to stock it. Otherwise currently there is a big gap and risk for inventors to scale up production.

And it would mean that you are selling the latest inventive puzzles that people can't buy anywhere else, so it's a win win situation for everyone.

Last edited by KelvinS on Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:59 pm 

I'd love (more than anything else) for this shop to concentrate on country-specific twisty puzzles. Things that are hard to get in the US, like the Ballb (Poland), Capuzle (Japan), and Edison Cubes (Korea). I can think of several puzzles from Asian websites alone (Not the 9x9x9, keep your minds out of the KO gutter! :) ) that would be appealing, such as legitimate Void Cubes and Floppy Cubes. Now that eBay KOs of these puzzles have changed their entries to be very close to the originals, it's hard to tell whether you're buying the real thing or not just from the listing. Having a place where you know for sure you're getting the real thing is nice.

I'm partial to keychain puzzles, so any strides made in that area besides a regular 3x3x3 keychain would be nice to see.

I'd also like to see some put-together puzzles and/or sliding puzzles, to mix things up with the twisty puzzles.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:07 pm 

Well... apart from some known spherical gravity puzzles, I would love to recommend other nice ones
which are based in totally new concepts.

For example, Bram's Black Hole is a puzzle on my top priority list which I plan to acquire one way or another
before the end of August.

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:26 pm 

1) TwistyPuzzles.com branded Merchandise
2) 333 Type A cores, centers and screws!!! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:34 pm 

This will be a good idea :) http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2660

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:44 pm 

Calzone wrote:
1) TwistyPuzzles.com branded Merchandise
2) 333 Type A cores, centers and screws!!! :D

Definitely, especially the cores and screws - I will need to buy thousands of them to make all the Qubami puzzles I would like to sell through this site - and that way Sandy would profit twice from each puzzle sold! :D

Last edited by KelvinS on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:02 pm 

I would love to have some TP merchandise! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

- Billy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:29 pm 

Here are my thoughts on this list:

V-Cubes: I would rather purchase from the manufacturer directly in this case.
Crazee Puzzles: I don't really find any of these appealing.
Other various twisty puzzles that you can probably find in other shops: I voted for this one, since there are only a couple shops in my area in the first place. ;)
Other various twisty puzzles that you may not be able to find in other shops: Also voted for this one, naturally. I'd love to get my hands on some uncommon stuff!
Non-twisty puzzles that appeal to twisty fans: Voted for this too, although the puzzles need not appeal to "twisty fans" as far as I'm concerned. An idea: Hanayama Cast puzzles.
TwistyPuzzles.com branded Merchandise: Didn't vote for this one, but thought about it. I don't need anything like this, really, but maybe a T-shirt or something would be neat (I'm a big guy though so you'd need B&T sizes for me to be interested). Have you considered opening an online store for this elsewhere, like on Cafepress or Zazzle or something?
TwistyPuzzles.com branded Puzzles: Well, I'd rather have non-branded puzzles if I could get them, to be honest. If they were really unique puzzles, then I'd think about it.
Puzzle-related t-shirts: Didn't vote for this (big guy, remember?) but if they were custom designs with pictures of non-3x3 puzzles (for example, a Megaminx or something) then I might be interested. Maybe you could set up a way to put any picture from the puzzle gallery on a T-shirt. :)
Spare puzzle parts: I can see this working out for many people but I personally don't need any.
Puzzle stickers: IMO we should leave this to people like Cubesmith and Dr. Sticker, since they focus entirely on it. Now, if you were to somehow make a deal with them, on the other hand...
Equipment and supplies for puzzle building / modding: Not particularly interested, at least not now.
Downloadable STL files archive: Again, not particularly interested at the moment - also, Scott has one of these already.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:40 pm 

puzzle modding supplies would be the coolest thing ever to be able to all buy from one central site

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:39 pm 

Assuming the markup on the puzzle building supplies wasn't too great I would say a definite YES on that one. If I could get Smooth On, Alumilite, and OOMOO from the same place it would make things sooo much easier.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:55 pm 

Mindstrat puzzles! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:13 pm 

Sven wrote:

I like this idea :)

Also what about this?

-Mark- :)

Kelvin Stott wrote:
Squiggle is such a funny word to say out loud. Squiggle! :lol:

I am with Frank's Family

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:48 pm 

I definitely like the puzk puzzle idea! :D

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:07 pm 

Sven wrote:

Thats the first thing I thought of and I hope it comes to life,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:33 pm 

About the TwistyPuzzles promotional gadgets and things: will the proceeds go to the website?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:58 am 

Good quality megaminxs.void cubes (legit),bump cube (legit) and some of hidetoshis(iffy on the spelling) puzzles,puzzle casting equipment would be nice as well

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:13 am 

V-Cubes: Nahh. I think people would prefer to buy from V-cubes themselves.
Crazee Puzzles: I don't think these are very appealing at all. Maybe some Bedlam cubes though.
Other various twisty puzzles that you can probably find in other shops: No shops in my area, so yes. Do you mean online shops? I'd lke some C4Y merchandise.
Other various twisty puzzles that you may not be able to find in other shops: Of course!
Non-twisty puzzles that appeal to twisty fans: As long as it's a puzzle that isn't a jigsaw I'm happy with it.
TwistyPuzzles.com branded Merchandise: If this was to happen I think puzzles themselves would be the only way to go.
TwistyPuzzles.com branded Puzzles: It would be awesome to see, and depending on the quality I'd buy one.
Puzzle-related t-shirts: Not much of a fan of this one. I don't see much demand for them.
Spare puzzle parts: It could help some I guess.
Puzzle stickers: Cubesmith and Dr Sticker have this covered.
Equipment and supplies for puzzle building / modding: It would be a very clever idea. I'm tired of looking around 1,000 sites for certain products. if they were for sale here it'd be smart and simple for the modders, however since people use different equipment it might be hard to satisfy everyone's needs.
Downloadable STL files archive: I believe we have one of these already. It'll grow in time too. Maybe sticky it?

I also think it would be a fantastic idea to sell our own puzzles, assuming the creators could make enough.

Also, what eMarx said below me would be a great idea too. I'd love FTOs and such to be available from here.

Last edited by Retr0 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:28 am 

I don't know how viable this is Sandy, but under the "puzzles not available in other shops category"

Perhaps you could place a large order of FTO's from Puzzle Wu (Like that box of them Tony has in the one video) and start selling through this website. I think it'd be a real money maker.

Also the Ball.B, like has been said before. It's relatively inaccessible. Could somebody point me in the direction of the "Dots" Ball.B besides ballb.pl?

And maybe the new Globall, at relatively cheaper prices. It's fairly expensive here on the forums, and I know quite a bit of that is markup.

I don't particularly care for Edison cubes, because really, a 3x3 is a 3x3.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:19 pm 

Oh, goodness. Getting my hands on a dots ballb would be fantastic! If you could make those accessible, I would simply fall over in love for this shop!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:46 pm 

Most of my collection is non twisty type puzzles, so obviously I'm more open to things like the log puzzle (I already had it before you started selling). Otherwise I think it makes the most sense to carry the harder to find things that one can't just go to a regular store for. Also for those in Canada and the states, I think it would make sense to carry things available only overseas, this would save some shipping.

By the way, I don't care what anyone says, even if the Rubik's 360 isn't a twisty puzzle, is still a very clever design and quite fun. Puzzles like that I think are ideal. Of course I'm in the minority I'm sure and I want you to succeed, so I would say to carry what sells the best.

-d

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:11 pm 

Thanks for the repsonse thus far. Very useful to help focus my efforts. I'd like to respond to a few of the ideas above:

> FTO's from Puzzle Wu
> Globall

Some of those Rings on the Puzzle Wu Blogspot page would be cool too. I've e-mailed him. But where does Wu get the FTO's from? The FTO prices that I've read here in the forum seem to be marked up an astonising amount (assuming it's mass-produced, not manually built or copied).

I have no idea where to find the Globall. What other cool hard-to-find production puzzles out there? A few others that I've looked into Turbo Mind Twister (will probably be buying soon); Magic Cube, Magic Disc, Solnishko, and Magic Crystal (no response yet); Mefferts (no response yet); Crazee Cubes (they have some fun new things coming out, aparently). Other puzzles I'm not 100% sure of the source: 4-layer Square-1's, Astrolabacus (does anyone know how to get in touch with John D Harris?), any old Masterball or Puzzle Puck stock, etc. I'm sure there are many others. I'm still a little out of touch. I don't even know what MF8 stands for, or how to find the website... someone please illuminate me!

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: there is a 5% finders fee available for the first person to inform me about a puzzle source. You do the research and get me the details of any item I can sell in the store along with the contact information of where to buy it, and I'll do the rest. If I choose to buy from the source you have provided, I'll give you a store gift certificate for 5% of the retail price of the first purchase I make. For example, you find me the FTO source, I choose to buy 100 of them, and if I decide to sell them for $10 each, I'll send you a gift certificate for $50 that you can spend on anything in the TwistyPuzzles.com store.

> Ball.B (ball.b.pl
> Floppy Cube, Void Cube (Gentosha)

I've e-mailed the producers, but haven't heard back yet.

> Edison cubes
> C4Y

I'm avoiding even looking into these sites (and a few others). Seems to me like they specialize in things that are a direct violation of the Knock Off Policy. If you don't think they do, let's talk about it. A wise man once said: until you can see through the rules, you can only see through the rules.

Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:50 pm 

Sandy wrote:
Other puzzles I'm not 100% sure of the source: 4-layer Square-1's, Astrolabacus (does anyone know how to get in touch with John D Harris?)

I know the Astrolabacus isn't made anymore. But if you can manage to get them made again, I will forever be in your debt. I wish I knew what happened to mine.

-d

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:59 am 

I also suggest the Quarks! puzzle.

I am done here. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:10 am 

Ask and ye shall receive. I asked for you guidance, and I got it. Thank you! You asked me for twisty puzzles that you may not be able to find in other shops, and here's the first:

Buy the Turbo Mind Twister from the shop.

Additionally, at this very moment I have sitting in my inbox a number of positive responses to my many queries into acquiring various "twisty puzzles that you may not be able to find in other shops". I believe most of them to be very exciting offers to the community. If I were to accept all of them, it would cost me close to $10,000 USD... which I simply cannot afford until you buy a bunch of puzzles. I am close to affording the first major order, and I believe they will all cascade from there... if I make wise choices and don't lock up a whole pile of money in inventory that isn't selling very quickly (*cough*east*cough*sheen*cough*), and if the sellers who I delay buying from can be patient with their offers.

Does anyone have $30,000+ sitting around that they want to invest in financing a new business?! I didn't think so. Actually, I'm seriously thinking about auctioning off my most collectable puzzles to kick start this inventory expansion process.

Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:17 am 

Thanks Sandy, you are really doing a lot for us here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:26 am 

Yea thanks alot Sandy!

Please tell me one of those positive responses is for the Globall! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:04 pm 

Are the Turbo Mind Twisters set to be a one-shot item, or will you be able to get more of them in the future? I'd hate to come back in two weeks and have them sold out. :(

(Also, do the cars on it have visible orientation?)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:12 pm 

I have no idea if it's a one-shot order, Jared. All I know is I have 42 of them. I imagine they'll be available from FoxMind for a while, then suddenly, without warning, they won't be anymore. If the puzzle sells quickly, FoxMind will probably do more production runs and the puzzle will be available for longer. If the puzzle sells slowly, they probably won't produce any more and we could already be eating through the "last of the stock".

I've done the following more times than I care to think of. Tell me if it sounds familiar:

- "I really wish Puzzle X were available for purchase. I'd definitely buy one of those!"
- "Puzzle X is available in stores now? That's awesome! I'm going to get one. Eventually. There's no rush, since it's available in stores now."
- "Puzzle X is sold out?! Geez, that was quick. I didn't even get a chance to buy one!"
- "Can you believe the prices people are selling Puzzle X for on eBay?! There's another puzzle I'll never own."
- "I really wish Puzzle Y were available for purchase. I'd definitely buy one of those!"

Not that there's anything wrong with that. In fact, I think that represents the basic collector mentality. We want things that are rare more than we want the things that are easily available. Which is a far more uplifting way of saying: we "want to want" more than we "want to have". And so we shoot outselves in the foot over and over by not buying the things we want when they readily available!

I believe the cars are symmetrical, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll take a closer look this evening when I open one of the boxes for photography purposes.

Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:03 pm 

Alright, I guess I'll pick one up then. (Ow, my aching wallet.) This is a puzzle that I do want, not just to have but to play with, and I don't want to miss out on the opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:08 pm 

I was going for a "yeah, I do that too" sort of laugh, but I'll take the "okay okay, I'll buy one" response!

Edit: Oh, and the cars are 100% symmetrical. I hope to be uploading more pictures this evening.

Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:20 pm 

Hehehe! Well, I haven't actually been "puzzle-aware" for long enough for that to have taken effect. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:13 pm 

Lots more pictures added.

Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:48 am 

Sandy wrote:
I was going for a "yeah, I do that too" sort of laugh, but I'll take the "okay okay, I'll buy one" response!

Haha, that is the exact response you got from me. I was sitting there for a bit laughing and reminiscing of my different missed opportunities because of this exact thing!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:51 pm 

Sandy wrote:
Additionally, at this very moment I have sitting in my inbox a number of positive responses to my many queries into acquiring various "twisty puzzles that you may not be able to find in other shops". I believe most of them to be very exciting offers to the community. If I were to accept all of them, it would cost me close to $10,000 USD... which I simply cannot afford until you buy a bunch of puzzles. I am close to affording the first major order, and I believe they will all cascade from there... if I make wise choices and don't lock up a whole pile of money in inventory that isn't selling very quickly (*cough*east*cough*sheen*cough*), and if the sellers who I delay buying from can be patient with their offers.

"The first major order" mentioned above has just been placed. If shipment take two weeks as advertised, the puzzle(s) will be available in the store in the first week of August. And yes, I am avoiding the puzzle name(s) on purpose since I'm not sure how paranoid I should be about my competitors yet. I've also placed a "top up" order of Rubik's products currently running low on stock namely the Rubik's 360, which I've unfortunately let run OUT of stock... I'm still getting the hang of the whole "running a store" routine.

We're building towards the next major order already. We're off to a great start!

Thank you for your continued support everyone.

Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:58 pm 

Go on, tell us what it is, tell us, tell us, pleeeeeeeeease... :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:22 pm 

Sandy wrote:
I've said it before, but I'll say it again: there is a 5% finders fee available for the first person to inform me about a puzzle source. You do the research and get me the details of any item I can sell in the store along with the contact information of where to buy it, and I'll do the rest. If I choose to buy from the source you have provided, I'll give you a store gift certificate for 5% of the retail price of the first purchase I make. For example, you find me the FTO source, I choose to buy 100 of them, and if I decide to sell them for $10 each, I'll send you a gift certificate for $50 that you can spend on anything in the TwistyPuzzles.com store.

FYI, I've just sent Roxanne a $39.90 finders fee gift certificate for sending me the source of the Turbo Mind Twister about seven months ago. It took me a while to get around to ordering, but I did. Thanks, Roxanne!

Darryl, I was aware that the Astrolabacus isn't being made anymore, but a few years ago a large eBay dutch action ended with bunches of them unsold. Who was the seller? Where are the unsold puzzles now? How many of them remain unsold? Where is John D Harris these days? (He isn't at any of the old addresses that he used to be at... I've tried.) Those puzzles are probably still out there, waiting to be rediscovered. Compared to the Dogic and the Dino, this should be an easy one to track down. Let's find them before somebody decides they're taking up too much space in the garage and throws them out. Find them for me and I'll buy them, make them available to this community, and share the profits with you! This goes for lots of other things too. Puzzle Pucks, Masterballs, etc. They are out there.

Sandy