Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: V-Cube 7?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:48 am 

I've now saved up enough money to purchase a V-Cube 7, however due to the current economic problems, is it worth it? Seeing as the Euro is now equal to the Pound, should I wait until it drops back down or shall I buy one now?

Post subject: Re: V-Cube 7?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:27 pm 

I like my v-7 a lot and I'm not sorry I bought it (I'm actually considering getting another one if/when Cubesmith comes out with the tiles), but I can't tell you to go buy one at all costs. Only you can judge whether you can afford it, or whether you want it now for the price it has or a year from now for 5 pounds less. If you wait for the Pound to climb back up you might be waiting for a long time. In my experience, you can save a couple of € on a $80 order if you buy it on the right day, but any significant changes are harder to predict.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:29 pm 

Precisely the point that's stopping me from buying one, due to the unpredictablity of everything recently, I've no clue what to do. I can easily afford one, but I don't want to be annoyed when about a month afterwards it's reduced in price; knowing my luck it might just :x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:09 pm 

I would just go ahead and buy it if you want it. I bought mine last year, and it was about $75 then I think. Now it's around $64. But I'm still glad I got it last year. It wouldn't have been worth the money saved to wait for the price to come down. The shipping was even more expensive last year, but still worth it. If the price goes down after you buy it, don't worry about it. It won't be that much relative to everything else in your life. You have the money. You want the puzzle. I would just get it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:25 am 

Yeah... When I got my V-7 It cost me a total of 121 US$ with shipping and all. I think the price of the cube was like 75$ or something like that, and I am glad I got mine when I did. I can still remember skipping class that day, because I just knew my cube would come. What a fantastic feeling.... 8-)

But I think the bottom line is can you afford it?

Cap-hits, not Cafits

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:44 am 

I was happy with Mine by far. I got it for a total of 70$ and I would buy them now when there even more, a challenging an great overall puzzle.

4x4: 3:18.62 | 5x5: 8:22.90
Megaminx: 9:01:94| 7x7: 39:51.98
Magic: 1.14 | Pyraminx: 9.76
2x2-5x5 Relay: 16:43.51

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:13 am 

Waiting on the exchange rate to bounce back is a huge gamble.

For instance, I bought a single handed watch for 125 pounds about 6 months ago. When I looked at the price a couple of weeks ago, it went up 20 pounds making it about the same price after conversion with the stronger Euro.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:30 am 

DragonCuber wrote:
Precisely the point that's stopping me from buying one, due to the unpredictablity of everything recently, I've no clue what to do. I can easily afford one, but I don't want to be annoyed when about a month afterwards it's reduced in price; knowing my luck it might just :x

Although I got two from Mr Verdes before they were launched, I bought another four since they came out.
This puzzle pleases me very much.

As regards being annoyed if later the price goes down, this reminds me of 1985 when I bought my Amstrad 6128 with a green monitor for (now) 1,000 Euro. Three years later I could have had it for 550 Euro with a colour monitor.
But I had been using mine for 3 years already. And I didn't regret I bought it when it was expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:39 am 

Georges wrote:
As regards being annoyed if later the price goes down, this reminds me of 1985 when I bought my Amstrad 6128 with a green monitor for (now) 1,000 Euro. Three years later I could have had it for 550 Euro with a colour monitor.
But I had been using mine for 3 years already. And I didn't regret I bought it when it was expensive.

I remember buying 4 megabytes of extra RAM for my PC for, IIRC, 320 guilders (~150 euros). These days that buys 16 gigabytes.

I remember buying an 850 megabyte harddrive for that same PC, from a shady student somewhere or other, at much less than the then-current price -- a month or two later they were all that price.

Just be a PC enthusiast for a while and any notion of "but I could have waited and got it cheaper!" will be beaten out of you soon enough.