Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Maru Mini cube on Dealextreme
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:11 pm 

I ordered this cube, and I think I may have been the first one to receive it -- mine was opened when I got it, which generally indicates it's the one DX used for photos.

The cube is available here at $3.91 including shipping.

For a keychain-size cube (30 mm), it's a heavy and well-turning puzzle. As you can see, the cubies (especially the edge cubies) are fairly full, which might well make it a good candidate for mods. The centers have springs, screws, and centercaps, making them eminently adjustable.

(I will need to either make smaller pictures or reduce the size, but I'm about at the end of my rope for today. Just wanted to share it before tomorrow.)

Attachment:
File comment: Package
12022009068.jpg
12022009068.jpg [ 650.36 KiB | Viewed 2987 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Cube
12022009069.jpg
12022009069.jpg [ 608.69 KiB | Viewed 2894 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Cubies
12022009075.jpg
12022009075.jpg [ 704.59 KiB | Viewed 2875 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Overview
12022009076.jpg
12022009076.jpg [ 679.85 KiB | Viewed 2891 times ]

Post subject: Re: Maru Mini cube on Dealextreme
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:18 pm 

Nice! Could it be we finally have a non-junk keychain other than the Rubik's? I will have to order a few...

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:49 pm 

A screw spring structured keychain cube? I'm impressed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:42 pm 

Ooh, they come in black too!

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20017

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:03 am 

JasperJ wrote:
I ordered this cube, and I think I may have been the first one to receive it -- mine was opened when I got it, which generally indicates it's the one DX used for photos.

The cube is available here at $3.91 including shipping.

For a keychain-size cube (30 mm), it's a heavy and well-turning puzzle. As you can see, the cubies (especially the edge cubies) are fairly full, which might well make it a good candidate for mods. The centers have springs, screws, and centercaps, making them eminently adjustable.

(I will need to either make smaller pictures or reduce the size, but I'm about at the end of my rope for today. Just wanted to share it before tomorrow.)

Attachment:
12022009068.jpg
Attachment:
12022009069.jpg
Attachment:
12022009075.jpg
Attachment:
12022009076.jpg

Jared wrote:

yes, apart from the black one they also come in different stickers as well, like the maze and the four color stickers (whoops, don't know what its called). $3.91USD is resonable, very close to the price we get in Hong Kong :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:10 am 

LuckyStar917 wrote:
$3.91USD is resonable, very close to the price we get in Hong Kong :D

Especially with free international shipping!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:22 am 

Yay, that's good news. Mine should arrive today or tomorrow and I was planning to use it as the core of a domino. Judging from your description it will be perfect :D

OT, Jasper, I've recently receieved another black super square-1 and this was the second one (out of three I ordered) that has arrived without the stickers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:58 am 

I've seen people playing around with these on youtube and always wondered where they came from. Thanks for the heads up :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:50 am 

LuckyStar917 wrote:
yes, apart from the black one they also come in different stickers as well, like the maze and the four color stickers (whoops, don't know what its called). $3.91USD is resonable, very close to the price we get in Hong Kong :D

Are you sure those are the same cube? DX also has those sticker variations but they're on normal-size cubes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:07 pm 

Great. Thanks for the recommendation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:00 pm 

Jared wrote:
LuckyStar917 wrote:

Are you sure those are the same cube? DX also has those sticker variations but they're on normal-size cubes.

yes i am sure.
i've seen them before at a local shop in Hong Kong.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:05 pm 

I've picked these up in the normal sized cubes for the shephards cube, with the ultimate design, and with a few other designs on the stickers. I can post pictures this evening if you want. They have been available here for about a month or so.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:55 pm 

katsmom wrote:
I've picked these up in the normal sized cubes for the shephards cube, with the ultimate design, and with a few other designs on the stickers. I can post pictures this evening if you want. They have been available here for about a month or so.

oh no... i must be wrong then... :(
what happened to my short term memory :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:16 pm 

LuckyStar917 wrote:
katsmom wrote:

Not wrong, you just don't buy as many "toys" as I do. And I haven't told you all of the places I buy my puzzles from either :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:44 pm 

katsmom wrote:
LuckyStar917 wrote:
katsmom wrote:

Not wrong, you just don't buy as many "toys" as I do. And I haven't told you all of the places I buy my puzzles from either :wink:

Oh kats, you have to tell me where you get your puzzles from :D
i did went to shum shui po after the fair that day and managed to get
the large and small size kaos, and the price just makes me :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:33 am 

HOLY COW!! $20.49 EMS express! :shock: Gotta love that other free option. :) Im definatly gonna pick up one of these! Thanks for sharing. :)

Cap-hits, not Cafits

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:44 am 

THis is great! If these are really as good as everyone is saying they are, then they would be perfect for modding! First, they're less than half the price of rubiks brand cubes, and they come in both colors. I'm gonna have to get a few of these.

Drewseph wrote:
You can improve the quality of the turning by placing it in the trash.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:16 am 

Just some more observations today. I've had the cube in my pocket for a couple of days, and done probably 3 or 4 dozen solves on it (hey, I'm slow..). The stickers appear to be paper with laminate type, not unlike Eastsheen or Rubiks brand, they seem to respond better than the cheap laminate stickers on my other cheap keychain cubes. Most of my other keychain cubes, incidentally, are these ones from DX. Those are also spring/screw, but they don't have a cap on the centers -- the sticker doubles as it. Which means center stickers get ugly holes after a while, and adjustments mean ruining those stickers.

One ugly feature of the Maru Mini cube I've had happen to me twice now is an entire face coming off, after the screw loosened from the core. The screw may be too short or the core made of the wrong material (it's transparent red on mine). I may try hybridising a core/screw/spring set from those cheap cubes with the cubies & centers from the Maru Mini sometime soon. They appear to be suitably sized for it, and the cheap cubes have slightly longer screw and springs with slightly more twists, as well as a black plastic core that looks more suitable for holding threads.

Cosmetically, there's a mold line running along one side of each edge cubie on the Maru Mini near the adjoining center which is not very smooth and which tends to collect dirt like a fingernail.

All this of course based on my samples, yours may vary, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:11 am 

JasperJ wrote:

The screw may be too short or the core made of the wrong material (it's transparent red on mine). I may try hybridising a core/screw/spring set from those cheap cubes with the cubies & centers from the Maru Mini sometime soon. They appear to be suitably sized for it, and the cheap cubes have slightly longer screw and springs with slightly more twists, as well as a black plastic core that looks more suitable for holding threads.

Cosmetically, there's a mold line running along one side of each edge cubie on the Maru Mini near the adjoining center which is not very smooth and which tends to collect dirt like a fingernail.

All this of course based on my samples, yours may vary, etc.

Yes, I think your probably right about the screws.
A friend of mine who sell these cubes told me the same thing as well. He said although it uses a core, screw and spring mech for the mini cube which makes it turn really well... however, becos of the screw being too short, it makes the cube pop very easily.
I am not too sure about the other problems because I don't want to take my mini maru cubes out from the package so I can't test it out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:53 am 

JasperJ wrote:
entire face coming off

Have you tried sanding the ends of the springs flat? That helps a lot with the same problem on Meffert's megaminx.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:16 pm 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
Have you tried sanding the ends of the springs flat? That helps a lot with the same problem on Meffert's megaminx.

Come to think of it, these springs are wound the wrong way round. They 'stick' in the anticlockwise direction.

I'm currently working on my hybrid, with cheap-cube core & screws with the Maru Mini springs & everything else, with sanded springs.