Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solving puzzles helping in other areas of your life.......
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:53 am 

I thought I would share this story with everyone. It is interesting how my puzzles have indirectly helped me achieve in my life.

I work for AT&T as a technical engineer. I basically take on big orders for T1 circuits from major companies and see to it the work is done by all parties involved, starting with sending work orders out to the local exchange carriers to install the wiring up to make the connectivity up to tracing the access lists on the backbone, and writing out router configurations. .............boring.

So boring that I find myself playing around with my puzzles at work. I keep a few puzzle at my desk. In between working on these orders and following up on other peoples work, I'll pick up a cube, minx, or whatever I have in reach and work on it a few moments.

Many of my co-workers have mentioned that it is insane how I solve some of these puzzles. They are most likely referring to my megaminx or the 7x7x7. There are always puzzle around my desk. In fact, my whole workspace has a "Puzzle" theme about it.

Two weeks ago I was informed that I had been selected to receive special training for a new work assignment. Everyone else that received this training is the best of the best of AT&T engineers. Nobody else with as little job experience as me was even considered for this assignment. Yet, I was selected. This means JOB Security!!! And a raise. When I asked how I was considered for the job, my reply was this., "Anyone that can solve those puzzles you play with has the mentality and ability to excel in this new position, your abilities to reason and solve complex problems made you a shoe in."

Ok, I have to work hard to live up to what they think of me....but this is good.

Puzzles got me better job security and a raise.

Isn't that neat?

Post subject: Re: Solving puzzles helping in other areas of your life.......
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:11 am 

Fantastic! That is great news!

Like you my desk has lots of puzzles on it. The only one I really "Play with" on a regular basis is the calendar cube. It has to be set everyday doesn't it. Anyway, when ever I leave for the day, I leave with the puzzles 3x3's solved. I hate leaving with them unsolved. (I must have a mild form of OCD :lol: ) Almost every morning when I come back they are mucked up. By the end of the day they are fixed again. Tonight I said something to one of my coworkers about it, and it turns out it's been teh head of the department who is mucking them up. She realized I wasn't in the office Friday or today because the puzzles hadn't been fixed. Not really a problem, but funny all the same. For me they are a record of my time spent in the office, and the amount of real work I do. :lol: Tonight I just got an email from my immediate supervisor saying I have been given a (very low level) mgmt position because I have too much time on my hands if I can solve all my puzzles before I go home. :lol: This means I might have to start doing some real work. Maybe puzzles in the office aren't such a good thing. Sadly, there is no pay rise for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:36 am 

Congrats!! Thats really awesome.

I also frequently have a puzzle or two sitting on my desk.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:00 pm 

Well, it's not twisty puzzles, but playing Bricks (a sliding block puzzle game) has helped me a lot with spatial management skills. Sorry, nothing as impressive as the rest of these stories! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:22 pm 

Unfortunately for me, I also have puzzles lying about on my desk. This is only unfortunate because, like katsmom, I usually tend to play with them during work hours and have them solved by the end of the day and now my immediate supervisor keeps giving me "busy work" to keep me occupied. I also didn't get a pay increase with all these new little jobs, so I'd have to blame my puzzles for that :P Otherwise, they keep me happier than I would normally be since I get compliments on solving them, etc. I guess I should be focusing my interests and concentration on other work-related things so I can keep my job :P lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:23 pm 

Jared wrote:
Well, it's not twisty puzzles, but playing Bricks (a sliding block puzzle game) has helped me a lot with spatial management skills. Sorry, nothing as impressive as the rest of these stories! :lol:

Bricks! I've been playing Bricks for years! I knew there had to be someone else out there who enjoys both of these pastimes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:50 pm 

Well, I haven't played it in a long time, actually. I got stuck on IV. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:43 pm 

Jared wrote:
Well, I haven't played it in a long time, actually. I got stuck on IV. :lol:

Well, I managed IV OK, and made it just enough through V to qualify for VI, but I can't make a lick of progress on VI. Oh well.