Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Puzzle Shop opening in Hong Kong
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:47 am 

Marco very kindly told me of a puzzle shop opening ceremony that was being held today. Uwe Meffert was there and gave a bit of background on his puzzles and demonstrated a few. Eggs and Golden Cube to be released next month, around US$48 if the girl in the shop is to be believed.

pictures can be found here http://picasaweb.google.com/katsmom01/PuzzleShopOpening#

But a few teasers:
eggs-I was told they will be blue, green, red, and gold this year with black and white to follow later.

This is a lot bigger than I expected with a "trick" opening and closing move.

Two new tiled cubes. Very light. Uwe very kindly pointed out the difference in weight between my originals that I brought along, and the new ones he's producing.

Without giving anything away, he has plans in the works for a few more "unique" puzzles to be released next year. Start saving your pennies!

Post subject: Re: Puzzle Shop opening in Hong Kong
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:07 am 

How I wish I could be there...

By the way, why they produced the green egg, that makes me losing out more money for puzzles because I'm going to buy a gold and a green egg.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:26 am 

good news

golden and eggs soon. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good Xmas toys.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:56 am 

NOW STORE!

That looks like a great store, so lucky to have local shops like this.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:04 am 

I loved the picture of the cat sitting on the puzzle in that poster. Now where have I seen that before?

If I am right, I think we now have 4 puzzle shope in HK. I only learned of this one and it's parent store today. I'm at such a disadvantage not being able to read Chinese. I might be able to get a lot further in many other things as well if I could!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:59 am 

katsmom wrote:
I loved the picture of the cat sitting on the puzzle in that poster. Now where have I seen that before?

If I am right, I think we now have 4 puzzle shope in HK. I only learned of this one and it's parent store today. I'm at such a disadvantage not being able to read Chinese. I might be able to get a lot further in many other things as well if I could!

If you know what puzzle the cat is holding, you'll sure know where you've seen it.

It is the famous Teraminx by Drewseph, and cat pictures are kind of his signature now.(Browse the building forum more, you'll know much better about puzzle names and stuff, even if you don't build :wink: )

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:08 am 

Marco wrote:
If you know what puzzle the cat is holding, you'll sure know where you've seen it.

It is the famous Teraminx by Drewseph, and cat pictures are kind of his signature now.(Browse the building forum more, you'll know much better about puzzle names and stuff, even if you don't build :wink: )

I know where it comes from, I was just surprised to see it on the poster and wondered if permission had been granted. My thoughts wander back to the financial burdon topic and my post of ripping off other peoples designs. Not knowing if Drewseph was contacted about the use of his picture, I didn't come out and state it before.

Having said that, it was wonderful to see a new shop open today. With the news lately, it's a good sign. Here's hoping they stay open for a long time, and get in some new (harder to find) puzzles!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:29 am 

Roxanne, did you get a chance to pick up any gems at the opening? Or was it purely visual stimulation?

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:18 pm 

I got a golden bump cube. and please don't laugh....a light blue and light pink keychain knock off as well as a Purple and a green 3x3. That was to finish off my daughter's rainbow colletion.

Everything else I already had. They were only doing pre-orders for the new Meffert's puzzles, and I didn't get them. I can order fro mefferts and have him deliver, or go out of my way to get them from the shop. I'll order online. Same price and easier.

It dawned on me that the colors chouldn't be seen. I've changed the pictures.
Across the top row: silver metalic, gold metalic, gold plastic, transparent, red diy (she chose shiny stickers)
middle row: pink, orange Diy, yellow (painted) , light green (painted), slightly darker green,
bottom row: light blue (painted), dark blue, purple, white.

Please don't anyone tell her there are transparent cubes of the same colors! I'll have to buy more!

Last edited by katsmom on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:34 pm 

Marco wrote:

Coming Soon! Hong Kong Teraminx for $24.99 with free air mail shipping of course :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:36 pm 

Calzone wrote:
Coming Soon! Hong Kong Teraminx for $24.99 with free air mail shipping of course :D

That would be a dilema. Buy a puzzle that is amazing for an increadably low price, or not based on my arguement in another thread.

I think i'll take the cat.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:38 pm 

katsmom wrote:
I got a golden bump cube. and please don't laugh....a light blue and light pink keychain knock off as well as a Purple and a green 3x3. That was to finish off my daughter's rainbow colletion.

Everything else I already had. They were only doing pre-orders for the new Meffert's puzzles, and I didn't get them. I can order fro mefferts and have him deliver, or go out of my way to get them from the shop. I'll order online. Same price and easier.

the image is not showing up

Personal Bests -single(avg of 12)
3x3-22.21(27.09)
4x4-1:28.18(1:53.49)
5x5-3:23.99(3:55.61)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:16 pm 

Calzone wrote:

That's impossible. How can a Teraminx be cheaper than, say, a megaminx crystal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:17 pm 

sokoban wrote:
Calzone wrote:

I'm not saying it would be. It's a joke. Lighten up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:38 pm 

sokoban wrote:
Calzone wrote:

This is my whole point about copying others work. I've gotten a series of cubes lately that are all locally manufactured knock offs of other puzzles. Image

They are all very cheap to buy, and cheaply made. The prices are approximate because some of these I've bought with better puzzles or other toys at the same time. I'm terrible with money.
megaminx HK$15, 2x2 yellow cube HK$5, 3x3 extended HK$7, Pyramid like 3x3 extended HK$7, pyramid HK$10, evil twin HK$29, 3x3x4 extended, HK$20, 5x5x5 eastsheen pink knock off, HK$39, 3x3x5 extended HK$20, long snake, HK$10, small snake HK$2.
So is it impossible to see a teraminx cheaper than a crystal? No. But the quality is what counts. I think of the puzzles in the picture, only the 2x2 and 5x5 are any good. The rest are just for the novelty factor. They break easily, but my daughter loves them because they look like moms (more expensive versions of the same). If she breaks them, I don't care.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:21 pm 

Waahh!! 5HK Dollars to 40HK Dollars?!?! That's like less than 5 US Dollars! That's so cheap. Man I wish I were still in Hong Kong...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:35 pm 

Cheap is the key word here. The extended cubes have all had pices fall off and have had to be reglued. The snakes break on a regular basis, so we have about 10 of them in her box. (As I said, at that price it doesn't really matter).

If you want some, send me a pm. When I get up and moving again in a few weeks I'll see what I can find. But NO CRYING about the quality! You have been warned.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:57 am 

katsmom wrote:
Cheap is the key word here. The extended cubes have all had pices fall off and have had to be reglued. The snakes break on a regular basis, so we have about 10 of them in her box. (As I said, at that price it doesn't really matter).

If you want some, send me a pm. When I get up and moving again in a few weeks I'll see what I can find. But NO CRYING about the quality! You have been warned.

How's the quality of the pink "Eastsheen"? I wouldn't mind having one just for show. :P I also noticed, in the Puzzle Shop Opening album you linked to, a picture of a Ballminx with regular stickers, as opposed to flag ones. Did you get from the makers of it? Or did you have to get the stickers separate?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:18 pm 

Both Ball-b puzzles came from the same seller. It's not stickers, it's paint onthe ball.

A word of warning, I paid via ebay paypal, then got emails from the company wanting me to pay the same amount in Euros-with an added 134 for shipping. I sent off a few emails, and hte company never answered any of them. But, I did get the puzzles for the price I paid within less than a week. All in all, I'm happy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:35 pm 

katsmom wrote:

The boss of this puzzle shop told me, that if you pre-ordered or buy Meffert's puzzle directly from his shop, you can get 10% discount, with kindly permission by Mr. Meffert. But if you would like the puzzles to be mailed to you, the price will be the same as directly from Meffert's.

Last edited by sokoban on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:42 pm 

katsmom wrote:
Both Ball-b puzzles came from the same seller. It's not stickers, it's paint onthe ball.

A word of warning, I paid via ebay paypal, then got emails from the company wanting me to pay the same amount in Euros-with an added 134 for shipping. I sent off a few emails, and hte company never answered any of them. But, I did get the puzzles for the price I paid within less than a week. All in all, I'm happy.

I see. :) Is the pink "Eastsheen" cube decent quality? Just curious, as it looks sturdy. But then again, I guess you can never really tell from a picture. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:14 pm 

sokoban wrote:
The boss of this puzzle shop told me, that if you pre-ordered or buy Meffert's puzzle directly from his shop, you can get 10% discount, with kindly permission by Mr. Meffert. But if you would like the puzzles to be mailed to you, the price will be the same as directly from Meffert's.

I wasn't told this. But remember, I don't think they understood that I wanted to be there in the first place. I'm also going to assume they spoke to you in Chinese rather than English. I've said before I miss alot because I'm not completely fluent. I catch a lot if people speak slowly, but I have not only the problem of being short (see thread in off topic) but I'm also very blonde. I believe people are just afraid to speak to me period. Added to that the steryotypes of blondes, and I just have no luck. :wink:

I have to go back next week, I'll see if I get the same deal you got. Odds are, I won't. But that is another thread all together.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:48 am 

katsmom wrote:
sokoban wrote:

I wasn't told this. But remember, I don't think they understood that I wanted to be there in the first place. I'm also going to assume they spoke to you in Chinese rather than English. I've said before I miss alot because I'm not completely fluent. I catch a lot if people speak slowly, but I have not only the problem of being short (see thread in off topic) but I'm also very blonde. I believe people are just afraid to speak to me period. Added to that the steryotypes of blondes, and I just have no luck. :wink:

I have to go back next week, I'll see if I get the same deal you got. Odds are, I won't. But that is another thread all together.

Yes, we did talk in Chinese. The guy of the shop is really nice, you will certainly get the same deal. I told him that I was led to his shop by your post here. He remember you were there that day very well. You went with your children, right? Since he has no account of this forum yet, I was asked to tell you, that *YOU* can get the discount.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:07 am 

Thank you for the intervention. I'll head back over. Sometimes I think people are just afraid they won't get their point across so don't bother. I'm guilty of the same thing when I try to speak in Chinese :wink:

I'll also give him the benefit of the doubt in that there were loads of people there for him to deal with and the mgmt. security guard was a bit of a pain in the backside. (he told me to line up everytime I tried to walk into the shop, even though I was already in line)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:03 am 

Sokoban,
Thank you for talking to The shop man for me. I called this morning and sent an email off to place an order. I greatly appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:48 am 

katsmom:
It's my pleasure. It is the man of shop offered you the deal initiatively, I did not help much.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:19 am 

I wonder if the owner of this shop browses the forum here. How else would he have gotten a picture of Drewseph's teraminx?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:24 am 

When I spoke to him today, he told me he reads the forum. So it's pretty likely that he got the photo from here.