Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rank the following colors in increasing order of difficulty
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:45 pm 

Hi, I know you've seen a lot of 'rank these puzzles' topics in the past, but this one's different because it's about colors! I'm sure a lot of you use the same colors all the time so I'm wondering what kind of colors you guys think are harder to solve.

01. White
02. Yellow
03. Green
04. Blue
05. Red
06. Orange
07. Black
08. Eastsheen Purple
09. Purple
10. Violet
11. Magenta
12. Indigo
13. Pink
14. Neon Orange
15. Neon Green
16. Neon Yellow
17. V-Cube Blue
18. Silver
19. Gold
20. White Tiles
21. Transparent

Feel free to add your own colors if you want to put more in your list :)

Post subject: Re: Rank the following colors in increasing order of difficulty
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:52 pm 

What an odd poll for a person who isn't color blind. It might be better if you asked what combinations are harder to solve.
For example, my daughter wanted a 3x3 with shiny stickers on it. Purple (dark) opposite red, silver opposite gold. Those two pairings are a pain if the lighting isn't good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:53 am 

Colors are harder to solve when all faces use similar colors or shades.

Color blind people obviously will have difficulty.

In a brightly lit room some highly fluorescent colors may be a bit uncomfortable to look at while others will be harder to distinguish based on lighting conditions.

Aside from that I don't really see how particular colors are intrinsically more difficult. Seems kind of a trivial thing to ask. Are you going anywhere with this question? Some crazy, ulterior motive where you are attempting to create the most ergonomic colors for a multi-sided puzzle project perhaps? Inquiring minds want to know.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:44 am 

Ugh,

My Meffert's megaminx tiled colors are a pain in the arse!!!

Pink and Light Blue
Purple and Dark Blue

On the Pyraminx Crystal

Some of the light blues and pinks - along with some of the metallic colors are hard as well.

(Yes I'm slightly color blind - I can see the difference between shades - I don't see two colors the same, but when glancing at them they can look the same. And I hate it when people say I'm color blind because I call a color blue - however to them it's powder blue or some other blue variant :roll: :roll: :roll: )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:06 pm 

I really like the fluorescent color set sold by twistypuzzle for my 3x3. When I'm not working in my office, I turn the overhead track lights off, and the room gets dim. The lower lighting makes it difficult to see the red vs. orange or blue vs. green sometimes, but with the fluorescent colors, there's no confusion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:52 pm 

I was attempting to do a night solve on my Cubesmith tiled Professor, and the Red/Orange and the Blue/Green were virtually impossible to distinguish under dim/distant lighting. Everyone becomes colorblind when lighting goes below a certain threshold. Example you are in a dark room that is lit only by ambient street lighting outside. Under normal circumstances, you will be able to see varying shades of light gray to black but no color, but flick on a lightswitch and colors are restored. In short, brighter lighting makes for better cubing.

This happens to everyone :lol:

I imagine if you still have some trouble, you may want to try cubing in bright sunlight, or replace that old 40W bulb in your lamp stand with similar-rated compact fluorescent (a 45 watt compact would be equivalent to a standard 200W bulb). Incandescent lighting does not put out nearly as much brightness on the blue side of the color spectrum. For example, a pair of Navy blue pants may look almost black under dimmed incandescents, but the blue will be much more visible under a florescent. It'll also save you money on your electric bill.

Last edited by stardust4ever on Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:02 pm 

I've always figured that the entire visible spectrum was about equally difficult (though red-green colorblindness does make that less true) next more difficult was ultraviolet since some people can see it, after that infrared since you can modify ordinary equipment to detect that, after that I sort of get lost.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:11 pm 

chris the cynic wrote:
I've always figured that the entire visible spectrum was about equally difficult (though red-green colorblindness does make that less true) next more difficult was ultraviolet since some people can see it, after that infrared since you can modify ordinary equipment to detect that, after that I sort of get lost.

Speaking of Ultraviolet, I ordered the bright color set for my V-cube, and replaced the red with florescent pink, so out of all the colors including white, blue will be the only one that won't glow fiercely under UV lighting. I am in school now; when I get home and sand the bumbs off, I will apply the stickers and take some photos!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:16 pm 

i have a cube stickered in flourecents that i ordered for a friend who is color blind. I believe it goes yellow-white, orange-pink, purple-blue. Whenever i try and solve it in a building with low lighting (restraunts especialy), i usualy end up with a parity problem and know that i skrewed up somewhere. the white-yellow and orange-pink are almost indistinguishable in low lighting.

I also have a lot of trouble with my grayscale cube, but thats probably because i almost never solve it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:45 pm 

my new diy type a ii has bad white yellow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:52 am 

Yes, as mentioned elsewhere it is more a matter of having a difficult pair of colors. From my experience it helps a bit to have that difficult pair on opposite faces. Having them on adjacent faces poses a bigger problem :)

Per