Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Which one should I get first?
Meffert's Megaminx 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Pyraminx Crystal 29%  29%  [ 7 ]
Void Cube 58%  58%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 24
 Post subject: Megaminx, Pyraminx Crystal, or Void Cube?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:57 pm 

Which one should I get first? I know that the megaminx is a limited run, but I really want a pyraminx crystal. How long do you think it will take for the megaminx to sell out?

EDIT: Hmm, the Void Cube is out. That's also an option...

Last edited by cAPSlOCKrOXX on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Megaminx or Pyraminx Crystal?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:13 pm 

Pyraminx Crystal; it is really a deeper puzzle than the megaminx. I couldn't say a how long the megaminx will be in stock, but if you really want it for your collection, it might be better to get the megaminx soon before it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:33 pm 

It depends on what your primary goal is; are you a collector or a solver? I'm primarily a speedsolver, but I have somewhat started collecting. If you're a collector I would get the pyraminx crystal first, as it really is a beautiful puzzle. Get the megaminx after that, either by Mefferts if you're lucky, or ebay, which occasionally has them, but they are definitely cheaper than a pyraminx crystal on ebay.

If you're a solver, I'd get the megaminx. I have both puzzles, and got the pyraminx crystal before the megaminx, though that was because the megaminx wasn't out yet. I think the Crystal kept me interested really only for a couple weeks.

The thing about speedsolving is that you're striving for faster times, and with the megaminx already an official event, and the fact that the overall movement is better in comparison to the crystal, you might be more attracted to the megaminx. The pyraminx crystal is slightly more difficult to turn (but it still turns NICELY) than the megaminx. However the crystal is a LOT heavier than the megaminx, so holding it with 2 hands and solving gets a bit difficult. Because of the nature of how you solve it, you pretty much need to set it down on a table while doing certain moves.

I hope that helped :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:10 pm 

I'd go with the Pyraminx Crystal myself. It is more challenging and you can always pick up a decent used Megaminx for practically a song if you look around.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:58 am 

I wouldn't exactly call the Crystal more challenging - mathematically, it has fewer combinations than the Megaminx due to the lack of centers - also with with the deeper cuts, the fact that two non-adjacent faces share a single edge piece makes for some extremely simple 3-edge commutators that do not require memorization - so if you solve in two stages, first as a corners-only Megaminx, and then do commutators on the edges, it is fairly easy to solve the puzzle once you get to the second phase. I made the mistake of solving the entire thing except for the top layer, which took quite a while since I used intuitive maneuvers and was not quite familiar with the mechanics of the puzzle. Then to my dismay, when I looked up some decent algorithms to solve the final five corners, it completely destroyed much of the edges that I had done previously. So I rescrambled and used Meffert's online two-phase solution and it worked like a charm. I will say that my white Crystal is truly a beauty to behold (when I first unboxed the Crystal, my mother commented that it was "beautiful"), but I definitely agree that it should not be used for speedcubing - I am not a speedsolver, so that aspect of puzzling to me is irrelevant. Even if it was suitable for speedsolving, it would be necessary to produce a solution that solves the edges and corners together, aka Cube or Megaminx style - That would surely require much more complicated algorithms to deal with the final five corners. I absolutely love the way the faces turn, despite the occasional binding that occurs with the 36-degree wedges at the face centers. It also feels more comfortable in my hands as it is a little larger than the Minx (I have large hands, btw).

The Megaminx is another beast altogether. Some people say that the mechanics resemble the cube, which is very true, but most Rubik's cube manuvers don't work on the 'minx, as there are no slices or half-turns. I did manage to solve it up to the last layer without help, although like the Crystal, this took me a while to do, being unfamiliar with the puzzle. I don't recommend using the Meffert's on-line solution, as it uses 4 extremely simple 4-move commutatora as subcomponents for doing everything else. Despite being a simple solution that is fairly easy to memorize without complex algorithms, most of the move sequences seem long-winded and extremely redundant. Anyway, there are more conventional methods for solving it elsewhere online that use a similar strategy to that of the Rubik's Cube; they just take longer to do. I lubed my Megaminx with Dupont Teflon/Silicon and it turns quite nicely, but simply doesn't and will never compare to the sheer beauty of the Crystal.

Also, I might add that the while the 'minx comes back in stock periodically (there is also an abundant supply of knockoffs if you ever find the genuine Meffert's is not available or out of stock), but we really don't know for how long the Crystal will stay available. I bought both together, and have absolutely no complaints about the Crystal. My only complaint for the 'minx is that it uses the same type junk PET stickers as Rubik's, so you may want to order some replacement stickers from Cubesmith, because the stickers will wear out fairly quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:06 pm 

I would recommend picking up a Crystal as well, if only for the fact that they are not as common as the Megaminx and may never be produced again, as Stardust mentioned.

Although, if you're going to be solving it, be sure to redo the springs and add some washers to the puzzle, or else it is likely to fall apart!

Post subject: Re: Megaminx, Pyraminx Crystal, or Void Cube?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:52 pm 

I prefer the Crystal, as well, but both Crystal and Megaminx are fine puzzles. You really can't go wrong with either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:02 pm 

Void Cube or Pyraminx Crystal. I'd probably go with the Pyraminx Crystal first, since, although pretty complicated in design, the Void Cube isn't very difficult or "new" to solve.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:36 pm 

I don't mean to sound negative, but
1) why would you care what we think you should get? Get what interests you. "but I really want a pyraminx crystal" pretty much sums it up, I would think.

2) changing your poll by adding another option to it after a number of days and many people have already voted kinda spoils the results.

just my two cents. You can ignore it like most people. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:08 pm 

Pyraminx Crystal, by FAR!

This is my favorite puzzle out of my collection, and it is so much fun to solve.

Also, it isn't that challenging, however it takes a while to solve, which I like.

Such a great puzzle... AND, it is even more limited than the Megaminx... BTW.

Hope I Helped! :D

Anyone can solve a puzzle. The real skill comes in when it breaks and you have to put it back together.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:17 pm 

stardust4ever wrote:
Also, I might add that the while the 'minx comes back in stock periodically (there is also an abundant supply of knockoffs if you ever find the genuine Meffert's is not available or out of stock), but we really don't know for how long the Crystal will stay available. I bought both together, and have absolutely no complaints about the Crystal.

EDIT:

I agree what stardust says, as well! The minxies are made everywhere and are VERY common. The Pyraminx Crystals are pretty rare, and most likely won't be produced again...

BTW... Meffert's sent me an email a little while ago (I was asking about their Bandaged Cube), saying "Regarding the Bandage cube it will not be remade as the mold was destroyed".

Meffert's destroys their molds, so other companies don't copy them... especially an EXTREMELY popular puzzle like the Crystal, which was prototyped in the early 80s, and took 20-some-odd years to make!

:shock: WOW... TMI on my part! LoL

Anyone can solve a puzzle. The real skill comes in when it breaks and you have to put it back together.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:10 am 

HBMAN wrote:
Meffert's destroys their molds, so other companies don't copy them... especially an EXTREMELY popular puzzle like the Crystal, which was prototyped in the early 80s, and took 20-some-odd years to make!

Well, just because a mold is destroyed doesn't mean he chose to destroy it, and it is a large leap to believe this was to prevent copying. It was probably worn out (they have a lifetime) or just an accident in production. Destroying a mold doesn't protect against copying because others wouldn't have access to the mold. And particularly for a simple puzzle such as a bandaged 3x3x3, pretty much anyone can make that mold on their own if they choose.

As for the crystal, the prototype was made of cardboard I believe. No molds were made until this year, the 20 years was waiting for a market to be large enough to make it worth producing, not development time. As long as there is a market, I think Meffert's will have interest in continuing to do production runs. But your definition of a market is probably not the same as his. It takes a lot of people to make it worth the costs of making a mold and doing a production run. Heck, if there was a big enough market for the bandaged cube I'm sure he would make a new mold. But I am guessing orders for that puzzle weren't enough to justify the costs.

Dave :)