Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: One of my greates disappointments (not 3x3x7 related)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:19 pm 

I forgot to mention this when it happened, but this was one of my saddest days in cubing history. In english class on friday, someone stole one of my heavily modded white DIY type A cubes. It got to the point to where my teacher had to call an Assistant Principal down to the room to get it back, and there was major damage done to it. I had to go home and sand peices down where they had keyed it, put some old vynl stickers back onto it, and even replace 4 broken springs. Because of this I am not risking bring ANY of my cubes back to school again. People still call me Rubik, but now they dont have a reason to. Its disrespect like this that makes me glad i can come to this site and people understand everything about rubik's.

Why does he always have the funny quotes? :lol:

Post subject: Re: One of my greates disappointments (not 3x3x7 related)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:21 pm 

I hope they got the idiots who did it, and punished them for it. What's the matter with people?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:31 pm 

It was one of the kids that sat in the back of class and did a certain drug that im not going to name. He just took it and wouldnt say anything. By the time the AP got there, he threatened to say that if it is stolen, it can be punishible for up to a year in jail. The kid said "$^&% this, im not going to court!" and threw the cube across the room, making it hit the wall and explode into peices. This was of course after all the damage that he could do was done to it. As a result he agreed to pay me the price to fix it instead of me pressing charges. I have a feeling he wont be in school on monday. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:01 pm 

There will always be people who do things for no other reason than to be malicious. That's just what we need to deal with.

I had a DIY cube sitting at my cubicle at work. One day I noticed that someone had removed one of the edge pieces and rather than leaving the damaged cube on my desk they positioned it in such a way that the missing piece was hidden from view until I picked it up.

Needless to say, I don't leave any puzzles (or anything I actually value) at work anymore. It's just not worth it to me to be disrespected so blatantly.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:05 pm 

Yea, i brought a couple cubes to camp, within the first week, someone disassembles all of them, so i hide those away and no one saw those until the end of camp

In the third week, i got my v-cubes, i had asked people multiple times not to mess with them, one time i come back to my cabin to see the 6x6 and 7x7 scrambled with the black 7x7 center cap missing, i never found it, so i hid those away and they weren't seen until the end of camp

EDIT: also, when i get posessive about my puzzles, people make fun of me, but people get the same way about soccer balls and tennis rackets and they're not made fun of...

Last edited by TheCube on Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:09 pm 

People don't respect that cubes are more than toys.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:27 pm 

I also have a (less sad) cube story from school. I take a different cube from my collection to school, and I store them in my locker. However, once in awhile I would come back and they'd be scrambled... I never found out who, since I switched lockers just in case. I figured out how they got in, you could lift my locker off its hinges :?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:28 pm 

I've had a regular 3x3 core broken and a DIY stolen. Some people also thought it would be funny to switch around pieces and/or stickers. Needless to say, I don't bring my cubes to school any more.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:10 am 

Moved to general (not build related but puzzle relevant).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:45 am 

So sorry to hear about your cube. I used to bring in mine to fiddle with when i was bored, no one thought i was a nerd, infact everyone was impressed and wanted to try them too. Thats when i had to stop. I topped bringing them because they dont understand the concept that puzzles are breakable. Not thier fault but greatly dissappointing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:21 pm 

1) I don't see how drugs are related to this situation.

2) I probably would have handled the situation much more physically than you. People pick on those they think they can bully. Fight back, even a little, but noticeable enough, and that hopefully would get the message through to him. I know people say violence isn't the answer, but for jackoffs like that, I think it can be appropriate.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:45 pm 

I do agree with you about violence being appropriate in situations like this, as long as people don't go over the top.

And more-so on topic, I hate it too when people don't understand that puzzles can break, like this one kid, thought it would be smart to throw my best 3x3 30 ft in the air and try and catch it, he meant no harm but he still did harm, two of the arms on the core snapped, and I was unhappy to say the least.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:50 pm 

I'm not sure if it's a good thing, or a bad recklessness, but I tend to share my puzzles, and it's working fine. I usually bring a lot of puzzles to competitions, and the only cube I've ever lost at a competition was a store-bought (first day of Nationals).
I did once never get back a 25th-anniversary cube from camp (but it must be safely with someone who could use it more), and it took some dealing to get back a cube that was stolen in puzzle club and resold at church. :?
Maybe I need a very bad experience to learn not to bring them, or maybe i can trust people longer; I'll see. But still, I don't plan to pull an Arnaud-Nationals with my cubes (he had a lot of expensive cubes out on a table in a not-so-safe location).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:23 pm 

I actually brought my whole collection to the MN Open 08. Many puzzles got damaged and all 12 of my magic puzzles are now broken.

Thanks to my girlfriend at the time and Bob's girlfriend Jaclyn for trying to keep an eye on my puzzles and then packing them up for me when it got ridiculous how people were treating my stuff.

25, Male

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:13 pm 

Noah wrote:
I actually brought my whole collection to the MN Open 08. Many puzzles got damaged and all 12 of my magic puzzles are now broken.

Thanks to my girlfriend at the time and Bob's girlfriend Jaclyn for trying to keep an eye on my puzzles and then packing them up for me when it got ridiculous how people were treating my stuff.

Thank God my brother was there to watch over my expensive puzzles(my babys) or I'd need a straight jacket if he wasn't there and if someone would've broke mine. You think a plexiglass cage with a eletric barb wire fence to much? One out at a time please.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:53 pm 

Noah wrote:

2) I probably would have handled the situation much more physically than you. People pick on those they think they can bully. Fight back, even a little, but noticeable enough, and that hopefully would get the message through to him. I know people say violence isn't the answer, but for jackoffs like that, I think it can be appropriate.

answer to 1)
it was because he was high on the drug he was using when this happened.

answer to 2)
I am a pacafist and do not want to fight anyone at anytime. The only time when I have ever used violence is when I go patrolling with the Guardian Angels downtown. And even then it's only in self defense. The reason I did what I did is because then I would not have to suffer any of the consequences, and he got in trouble and is now in an alternative school program.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:58 pm 

I brought puzzles to school everyday during highschool. Everyone thought it was really neat, though i did occasionally hear about certain people making fun of me when I wasnt around. The only severe events i ever had were 1) a missing 2x2x2 that a guy in my AP Stat class borrowed overnight and lost. He said he would pay me back but never did. 2) I had an interview, and I thought it would be cool to bring a good chunk of my puzzle collection to explain why i put "modifying and solving rubiks like puzzles" on my resume. The result, with almost a dozen puzzles in my side bag and again in AP Stat, everysingle puzzle was scrambled. A couple people pulled them out and started playing with them with only two hours left in the school day and my interview immediatly after. Fortunatly I got all of them done before the end of the period, but that destroyed any desire to cube I might have had for the rest of the day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:04 pm 

Arch Wolf wrote:
Noah wrote:

answer to 1)
it was because he was high on the drug he was using when this happened.

Just because he was on some sort of substance, most likely THC, doesn't mean some sort of stereotype of the drug causing all people to do should be implied.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people needlessly perpetuate an inaccurate stereotype only from false pretenses.

25, Male

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:36 pm 

Noah wrote:

Yeah, I couldn't believe how careless some of the people there were with your puzzles, considering they use puzzles too, they should know how delicate that they are.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:19 pm 

Jin H Kim wrote:
Needless to say, I don't leave any puzzles (or anything I actually value) at work anymore. It's just not worth it to me to be disrespected so blatantly.

Wow, by that standard I am taking some big chances:
Basically my whole collection (minus my Brilic and Bump Cube) are at work.

Other than someone (accidentally) knocking down a half complete mosaic of my son (I had about 300 cubes solved and in the frame, and they leaned the frame forward to see the puzzles behind it) I haven't had any problems.

I have been giving serious consideration to moving my collection home. But with two young sons I have more to fear there until I get some sort of locked cabinet.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:34 pm 

Dang that's a lot. But it also depends on your environment, if you work in a good place and are friends with most if not all the people there, it would be a much safer place to show off.

But the worst thing that ever happened to me was with my first cube. My grandmother had given it to me last Christmas and I had just figured out how to solve it a few days before. At the time I was curious how it worked and wanted to take it apart but couldn't figure out how. Well I gave it to a someone who i barely knew (bad idea) who said they could do it. He then promptly through it on the ground. It was quite spectacular. Pieces went everywhere. They literally few across the building. I wasn't that upset, the "explosion" was almost worth it.

I still have the pieces in a zip lock bag at home. So far I've used one piece from that first puzzle in every mod that I have done.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:01 am 

I trusted my roommate to scramble up my year-and-a-half old Rubik's 5x5x5. I chose to let him use that one because it is well broken in compared to my 6x6x6 and my 4x4x4, and turned the smoothest of the bunch (it locked up a lot though in its early days before I disassembled and lubed it though). After a couple of minutes, a center corner popped (twisted sideways, not uncommon for Rubik's Professor), so without doing anything else to it he gave it back to me to realign the piece, which I really appreciated. The only puzzle I normally take on the go, unless there's somebody I specifically want to show-and-tell, is a 4.99 Rubik's keychain that I sometimes hang on my belt loop as a fashion statement. I wouldn't recommend walking around on a daily basis with anything that is especially rare or sentimental, like a Meffert's or a custom mod. But a standard Rubik's Cube, like the kind you can just walk into any gift shop and buy is fine, because if something happens to it, you're only down 10 bucks and it's not hard to replace. And just one of your regular stock cubes - don't bring your favorite cube out (you know, that special speed cube where you filed down the corners, played with it good to broke it in, and lubed it every two weeks for over a year...)

My experience is that once you get into college, people in general are a lot more mature and can be trusted more so than high school students. Yes, there are the usual backpack/bicycle/computer thieves, which is why you should never leave stuff unattended or not locked up. At a Chi Alpha meeting (it's a church group despite it's frat-like Greek name), my keychain cube was only 2/3 solved since I didn't have my "cheat sheet" handy; somebody asked me if they could see it and a couple minutes later gave it back solved! Needless to say, I was tickled that I had bumped into someone else could actually solve one!