Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bet on cubing?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:50 pm 

On a tram the other night I was executing some PLL algorithms one handed and here's a rough transcript:

Quote:
Guy: "Can I scramble that and then you solve it?"
Tim: "Yeah, sure."
*Tim hands Guy the cube*
*Tim realises that he has to get off at the next stop ~ 30 seconds away*
Tim: "I've to get off at the next stop though..."
Guy: "Oh, well. See if you can solve this. I bet you $50 if you can!"
Tim: "Okay" :mrgreen:
*Guy hands Tim the cube - looks like an 18 move scramble* :scrambled:
*Tim solves the cube before the next stop*
*Guy seems impressed and insists on Tim taking the $50*
Guy: "Here take it!"
Tim: "No no, I couldn't. I just do it for fun." :oops:
*Tim refuses to accept the $50 note*
Guy: "Well, I hope you make it." :D
Tim: "Cheers, cya!" 8-)
*Tim steps off the tram*

So the point of this thread: If you found yourself in a situation like that, would you take the money instead?

Should gambling come into this sport like it has with so many others? *shrug*

Tim.

Post subject: Re: Bet on cubing?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:54 pm 

I was in a resturant about a year ago. A marine based in San Diego bet me that I couldn't solve it in less than a minute and a half or he would buy me a milkshake. I got a milkshake with plenty of time to spare! :D

It was only a $2 milkshake. I'm not sure if I could accept $50.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:56 pm 

Jesse Werner wrote:
It was only a $2 milkshake. I'm not sure if I could accept $50.

I'd probably accept a drink too, mostly because it's a little more traditional to shout someone a drink here :P

Tim.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:19 pm 

If he was a Marine, I would have bought him the drink.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:47 pm 

Honestly, where I come from, when two people make a mutual deal or wager like that, we always pay up or accept the payment. Its just understood that both parties were going to live up to the agreement and declining the payment would have been a slap in the face for the person originally betting.

If I were outside of my comfort zone I would have declined. You always decline it once, if its insisted upon you, you take it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:01 am 

tattooed wrote:
Its just understood that both parties were going to live up to the agreement and declining the payment would have been a slap in the face for the person originally betting.

It's pretty much the same here. Except people usually shake on it to ensure their word. If we shook hands and explicitly stated the bet properly I'd feel like I insulted them.

tattooed wrote:
If I were outside of my comfort zone I would have declined. You always decline it once, if its insisted upon you, you take it.

I can't remember word by word how they stated the bet, but I recalled that it was one sided. I.e more of an offer like "If you can solve it I'll give you $50". If they saw me any other time on public transport, I'd probably be sitting down solving it 20-30 times in one trip. I'd feel more guilty for taking their money over something that can be done trivially than I am for being rude...

Tim.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:13 pm 

I have gotten some puzzles for free at flea markets that way. I would come up to the seller, looking at a puzzle they offer. They would say something like "Whoever solves it gets it for free." I'd solve it and get it. One of them was a Rubik's Cube in a Politoys box. The others were assembly and interlocking puzzles. The sellers don't usually mind. They have fun all day watching people try or else making good conversation.

Taking money is different though. People at flea markets who offer their puzzles like I described above are prepared to give them away. They would only take 1 or 2 Euros for them if they sold them. I would feel bad to take 50 bucks for a bet I knew I would win. I think you did the right thing, Tim.

Celia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:14 pm 

If someone willingly bets $50 and loses, shame on them. I'm taking the money! Don't offer it, if you can't afford to lose it. Also, I wouldn't accept the bet unless I had $50 in my pocket to cover it.......or it could turn into a long foot chase if I lost :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:09 am 

Yeah, I think I might have an ethical problem with taking $50. I'd probably take $25 or so. I could definitely use an extra $50 though....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:50 pm 

TimMc wrote:
So the point of this thread: If you found yourself in a situation like that, would you take the money instead?

Should gambling come into this sport like it has with so many others? *shrug*

Tim.

If your mind had gone completely blank and you failed to solve it would you have paid up? If the answer is yes then of cause you should take the money if you solve it. It's pretty obvious that a person who accepts such a bet will be able to solve it. It sounded more like he was offering you a reward for being clever.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:17 am 

Maybe not entirely on topic but related to cubing in public, I'm a big fan of the 'ninja' solve.

I define the ninja solve as the act of solving a cube not belonging to you fast or surreptitiously enough to not get seen. This generally provokes amazement or even outrage. Score even more points if you're humble enough to not own up to it... Ever. Bonus points for not bursting out laughing and giving the game away if you're accused.

Examples:

A few months ago I was in a 24hr 9ball/snooker bar, playing straight pool with a good friend. He has no idea I can cube. I notice a 3x3 keychain on his car keys which he has left on the side. Between shots and while he's building his break I solve the keychain. I did actually own up to this one, but not for a few days. I felt I owed it to him cos he was really worried that someone could have wandered off with his car keys so easily.

Just today in my lunch hour I had to pop into town to get an anniversary card for my wife. I passed a toy store (Hawkins Bazaar) which had a bundle of Rubiks cubes in the window in boxes. I wandered in out of curiosity and noticed 4 cubes out of their boxes dotted about the shop for customers to play with. Pretending to look at all sorts of things I made my way around and solved all of them. I got past the 4th before any customers had rescrambled any of them. As I left the shop one of the assistants had noticed the first and was yelling at a colleague to come see. I assume they found the others, but didn't hang around.

My favourite was at a bbq a year or so back, when I solved a battered looking cube in a complete strangers house (I'd been invited to tag along by a friend). The homeowner was a bit drunk, but was demanding the identity of the mystery solver and was actually trying to stop people from leaving at the end of the night until he knew who did it. Needless to say - I have remained silent until this confession.

I also once had my son (who at the time was 8 months old) sat on my lap in a salon while my wife was getting her hair done. My son was holding my DIY 3x3 (keeps him quiet) and turning the layers randomly. One of the other customers had noticed and was smiling at him, then she looked away and out of the window. I reached round my son and solved the cube quietly but in all honesty not that fast. She turned back a little later and the reaction was superb, although the other customers gave me away :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:14 pm 

Today I made a bet with a 9 year old. :roll:

No money was involved, and it was part of an ongoing competition between the two of us throughout the summer. I'm a day camp leader at a local school and the two of us frequently play head-to-head games (UNO, mancala, basketball, etc.) and we both are pretty competitive. Anyway, today I brought my 3x3 and during their rest period, he said that I couldn't solve it in the time that was left before my shift was over, about 8 min. I took up the challenge, but bet him that he had to stay silent for all of tomorrow if I solved it and if I couldn't, then I had to be quiet. Needless to say, I solved it, taking about 7 min 50 sec for drama. Silence is golden. He was a good sport about the whole deal.

My question is this: If you know you're guaranteed victory, but the other party doesn't, should you still take (or make) the bet?

And I swear I don't spend all of my time taking candy from little kids. Just every morning until 12:30. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:40 pm 

Silence from a 9 year old isn't a bet. It's a godsend :oops: I would pull that one out of my hat every chance I could! Good for you

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:07 am 

No really guarunteed victory. I have had people turn around to "scramble" the cube. Then when I solve it a single edge is flipped. Impossible, right? Well the person who scrambled it thought its funny to pull out an edge, and I lose by default.

Not cool.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:12 am 

katsmom wrote:
Silence from a 9 year old isn't a bet. It's a godsend :oops:

Tell me about! I deal very often with my brother's AND my sister's kids (six in total).
But the most notorious kid I know, is my neighbour's daughter...
(she was the one who damaged the Kabalabda puzzle, which then helped me with the Cubedron idea)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pantazis

PS Tim, you did the right thing! ;)

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.