Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stickering an Eitan's Star
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:07 pm 

I just received the Eitan's Star that I ordered. It comes unstickered with DIY stickers (with 20 different colors).
Regarding cubic puzzles or dodecahedrons, the color schema is well known, but what about an iscosaedron such as the Eitan's Star ?
Is there an "official" color schema ? If not, what is the most frequent color schema ?

Post subject: Re: Stickering an Eitan's Star
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:43 pm 

Nope, there is no official scheme for as far as I know.

I stickered mine like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU2kkqTPGGs cold and warm side.

If you don't want to watch all the video, skip to the end, the pictures I took are there. I made the video because some of the stickers reflected and you couldn't really see which color it was in them.

Watch those two blues!! It is hard to see which is the darker one, because on the puzzle it comes out different in color (one is a bit more see-through than the other).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:26 am 

Thanks for your answer. Apparently the cold/warm color schema is very popular for the Eitan's Star.
I watched your video: I do confirm, it will help a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:58 am 

I used Oliver's stickers; personally, I found the MF8 stock stickers to be utter garbage in terms of available shades. Having four different greens on the same puzzle really bothered me.

Here's some pictures of my scheme, loosely based around Pete the Geek's idea from his own video, but with a couple of faces swapped around. The "warm" side is based around the yellow, and the "cool" side is around the white. I find it works pretty well. There will always be similar shades when you have 20 of them, but having similar shades right next to each other makes it a lot easier to distinguish them.

Attachments:
11.jpg
11.jpg [ 152.69 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]
10.jpg
10.jpg [ 152.33 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]
09.jpg
09.jpg [ 176.04 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]
08.jpg
08.jpg [ 171.18 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]
07.jpg
07.jpg [ 165.84 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]
06.jpg
06.jpg [ 161.59 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]
05.jpg
05.jpg [ 152.83 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]
04.jpg
04.jpg [ 171.82 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]
03.jpg
03.jpg [ 155.38 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]
02.jpg
02.jpg [ 140.37 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]
01.jpg
01.jpg [ 146.72 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:21 pm 

Ferd Berfel wrote:
I used Oliver's stickers; personally, I found the MF8 stock stickers to be utter garbage in terms of available shades. Having four different greens on the same puzzle really bothered me.

Here's some pictures of my scheme, loosely based around Pete the Geek's idea from his own video, but with a couple of faces swapped around. The "warm" side is based around the yellow, and the "cool" side is around the white. I find it works pretty well. There will always be similar shades when you have 20 of them, but having similar shades right next to each other makes it a lot easier to distinguish them.

Thank you so much !!!
I was a little upset with having 4 different blues and 4 different greens, with very few differences. I will go at Oliver's stickers and order the correct set of stickers. I particulary like the "gold" shades.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:15 pm 

Duffman wrote:
Thank you so much !!!
I was a little upset with having 4 different blues and 4 different greens, with very few differences. I will go at Oliver's stickers and order the correct set of stickers. I particulary like the "gold" shades.

No worries man, you'll be really happy with Oliver's set. The stock MF8 green shades made me want to rip my beard out, but the Oliver's set just makes the puzzle look darn good. The only flaw in Oliver's set is the gray and the silver; silver just looks like a really shiny gray. Put the two right next to each other, and you won't have any problems with it.

I think the only thing I'd do differently in my own scheme is to switch the gold stickers with the medium (mustard-like? I'm no good with color names) yellow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:16 pm 

Just a note - if you're going to make an order with Oliver, and you have other puzzles that could use new stickers, I recommend ordering a lot at once and saving on shipping.