Click a thumbnail to see its larger version and description.
The very first batch of the Rubiks Cube, from 1977 produced by Politechnika.
This is a Rubiks cube from first batch of the Politechnika Magic Cube. There were just 5000 samples of these produced in 1977 at the Politechnika Toy Production Plant in Budapest.
In Jan 1980 the company Politechnika was renamed in Politoys.
A second batch of production started in 1977 too. Most Politechnika-Cubes steem from that batch. The differences are:
- The pieces of the first batch are massive.
- The cubes of the first batch weigh 143 grams.
- The edge pieces show raised stickers because of imperfect molding lines.
- The orange colour was almost dull (seen in image #3)
- Most of the packages of the first batch are printed in hungarian.
David Singmaster obtained a batch Politechnika produced for the german market but couldn't sell. He sold them with the leaflet depicted in image #9.
Video of this cube in box recorded by Evgeniy Grigoriev
If you're looking to buy, eBay is the one place you can find almost anything... if you're willing to wait for it, then pay the price!
Thank you to the following people for their assistance in helping collect the information on this page: Andreas Nortmann.
Found a mistake or something missing? Edit it yourself or contact the moderator.